Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Maldives? Or is it stupid idea?

Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum

Hi guys,

We are in the process of planning our wedding / honeymoon (yay ) - where she's largely in charge of the whole wedding planning thing - and I am in charge of the honeymoon planning.

I have a bunch of Hyatt points I can burn - and my to-be wife really wants to stay at a hotel that has over the water bungalow - and she's been quite set on Maldives for a while... so we are thinking about four nights in Maldives as a part of our honeymoon.

BUT

From my read, Maldives seems to be one of the most anti-lgbt areas in the world - and I was wondering if we can pull this off - or we are being incredibly stupid by going there.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
Hi guys,

We are in the process of planning our wedding / honeymoon (yay ) - where she's largely in charge of the whole wedding planning thing - and I am in charge of the honeymoon planning.

I have a bunch of Hyatt points I can burn - and my to-be wife really wants to stay at a hotel that has over the water bungalow - and she's been quite set on Maldives for a while... so we are thinking about four nights in Maldives as a part of our honeymoon.

BUT

From my read, Maldives seems to be one of the most anti-lgbt areas in the world - and I was wondering if we can pull this off - or we are being incredibly stupid by going there.

Thoughts?
Maldives main religion is Islamic so that should tell you. How long is the Honeymoon for you are talking about 4 night stay, that is a long distance just for 4 days. I saw that some resort in Jamaica has over water bungalows. Also the cost of the over the water bungalows in Maldives are expensive point wise.

Congrats on being the marrage, we been married 3 yrs
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Hi there -

thanks for the reply!

4 days is a just part of our honeymoon. It's expensive point-wise, but at some point, I do need to use my 400,000 Hyatt points, so 25k/night won't hurt us much.

Right now, we are thinking

US -> Maldives -> Singapore/Vietnam/Cambodia -> China/Korea/Japan -> US itinerary.

It is Islamic - but wasn't sure whether it was "you are ok in your resort" islamic or "secret religious police storming into your room at 3am in the night" islamic.

Not sure if it matters or not - but we are both fairly feminine - so we do have the privilege passing as friends... (altho which is a problematic when hotels switch our king bed room to 2x double bed rooms without telling us)

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Congrats on being the marrage, we been married 3 yrs
Thank you
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Not sure if it matters or not - but we are both fairly feminine - so we do have the privilege passing as friends... (altho which is a problematic when hotels switch our king bed room to 2x double bed rooms without telling us)
Maldives doesn't have a habit of playing "bedroom police" but they do search your luggage for alcohol when you enter the country, so it's not hard to imagine... Personally, since a honeymoon is a celebration of your love, I wouldn't want to honeymoon somewhere I had to "play friends" when there are so many welcoming options.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Stupid idea, IMO. Go to Cuba go to Mexico, go to DOM Republic.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Hi there -

thanks for the reply!

4 days is a just part of our honeymoon. It's expensive point-wise, but at some point, I do need to use my 400,000 Hyatt points, so 25k/night won't hurt us much.

Right now, we are thinking

US -> Maldives -> Singapore/Vietnam/Cambodia -> China/Korea/Japan -> US itinerary.

It is Islamic - but wasn't sure whether it was "you are ok in your resort" islamic or "secret religious police storming into your room at 3am in the night" islamic.

Thank you
Your trip sounds nice, but wouldn't you want a romantic trip? Like someone offered, pick place that allows you two to be you guys this is your honeymoon....
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:57 am
THR

I just returned from a nine night stay in the Maldives with my partner (both male).

We didn't have any issues. We were staying at a reasonably high end place, and most of the staff didn't seem to particularly care.

Certainly everyone was pleasant and polite to us.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by THR
I just returned from a nine night stay in the Maldives with my partner (both male).

We didn't have any issues. We were staying at a reasonably high end place, and most of the staff didn't seem to particularly care.

Certainly everyone was pleasant and polite to us.
I would assume they would, however, since this is OP's honeymoon, wouldn't a place better suited to allow them to show affection to each other without possible problems? Now that being said, I'm booking 5 nights there for next Oct with my husband. Where did you stay?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:44 am

I stayed at PH Hadahaa for four nights in February and noticed a few (male) gay couples. They seemed happy and didn't notice any weird behavior towards them from any of the staff.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:45 am

We celebrated our 10-year anniversary in Maldives and several other gay couples were also there. Big part of the staff (at least the management team in luxury hotels) are from all over the world and they are used to welcoming gay couples. It was in 2008, before the Spa incident, shall I go back today? Probably not. You can choose the Philippines, Mauritius, Carribean, Hawai...
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
When you are staying in a high-end resort, the staff will not care less what your orientation or relationship is. Part of what you are paying for is discretion and professionalism. Can you imagine the PR disaster if a Hyatt started discriminating against guests?!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
My husband and I just got married and are planning a stop in the Maldives as part of our honeymoon. I don't have first hand experience, but what I've gathered is that as long as we stay out of the capital or non-resort areas we'd be fine. For the kind of money your expected to spend, the resort staff better not care.

Edit: Here is a helpful article from Passport magazine (which is geared toward gay travelers). http://passportmagazine.com/whats-new-in-the-maldives/

Last edited by coolbeans202; Nov 2, 2016 at 5:42 pm Reason: Add article
Old Nov 5, 2016, 12:16 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
My husband and I just got married and are planning a stop in the Maldives as part of our honeymoon. I don't have first hand experience, but what I've gathered is that as long as we stay out of the capital or non-resort areas we'd be fine. For the kind of money your expected to spend, the resort staff better not care.

Edit: Here is a helpful article from Passport magazine (which is geared toward gay travelers). http://passportmagazine.com/whats-new-in-the-maldives/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r...n_the_Maldives (Penalty: Up to death. Sharia law applies. Whippings, house arrest, deportation, and up to 6 years in jail. Vigilante attacks and executions occur.)

You are most certainly not under Sharia Law as a tourist, but the question might be allowed why we should support countries where such wordings exist. There are many civilized destinations in the world. For myself I would even not fly a MEA carrier fr the reason: human rights, women rights and gay rights.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by behuman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r...n_the_Maldives (Penalty: Up to death. Sharia law applies. Whippings, house arrest, deportation, and up to 6 years in jail. Vigilante attacks and executions occur.)

You are most certainly not under Sharia Law as a tourist, but the question might be allowed why we should support countries where such wordings exist. There are many civilized destinations in the world. For myself I would even not fly a MEA carrier fr the reason: human rights, women rights and gay rights.

Since when was the last time this has happened in Maldives? Certainly not in the past 50 years has anyone be put to death in the Maldives. Or for that matter stoned. Maldives has many gays and almost all know about it. What they get confused is about the transgender. They do not know how to deal with them.
But as a tourist you are free to do and dress how you want to dress in the Maldives. You can even come to th4 capital Male in a dress and no on would care about it.
What you get on the Wiki is not always correct. Maldives is now much more secular than it was in the past 5 years.
behuman likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.