Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 7:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

First time in Dubai

I'll be visiting Dubai next week for the first time and I was wondering as a gay man, what should I expect? I obviously not intending on being obvious but I was wondering if for example I should delete gay apps from my phone (Grindr, Scruff)?

Any other tips are welcome. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Tip:
Get a VPN app before you leave home.
You won't be able to download a VPN once in Dubai.
VPN will give you privacy when browsing AND allow you to access apps that are blocked in Dubai (such as the ones you mention)

Gay life in Dubai is ZERO, other than the expats or few locals that roam the apps.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Tip:
Get a VPN app before you leave home.
You won't be able to download a VPN once in Dubai.
VPN will give you privacy when browsing AND allow you to access apps that are blocked in Dubai (such as the ones you mention)

Gay life in Dubai is ZERO, other than the expats or few locals that roam the apps.
Try to avoid the locals if you can. It's safer to stick with expats when in Dubai.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:35 am

I recently went to Dubai and didn't have any issues. Of course, I didn't go looking for trouble, but the apps you mention won't work (without VPN) and mobile networks (any internet, really) is heavily censored. I didn't have any issues with customs/immigration, police, locals, etc. It's important to realize that many of the Dubai folks you'll meet are expats from other countries (working or on vacation); with that, I felt very comfortable "as me" but wouldn't go out of my way to show LGBT support publicly. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:23 pm
BCH

Just in time: an interesting (and, to me, unsurprising) report on Flyertalk about a Emirates and Dubai-based staff mistreating a gay couple and their child. One more reason I have no desire to go there or fly the ME3 airlines.

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/co...tes-staff.html
Old Jun 18, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mcbg1

Don't pump money into an economy where you have to worry like this. @:-)

Unless this is a work trip.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Been to Dubai several times and had no issues. Personally I make sure I have no magazines etc that might be considered offensive there and similarly I do not go on or search for gay websites which might be perfectly acceptable at home.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:15 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Don't pump money into an economy where you have to worry like this. @:-)

So are you saying Orlando is safer for GLBT than Dubai. What percentage of Male FA's on EK and EY are likely to be Gay?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
So are you saying Orlando is safer for GLBT than Dubai. What percentage of Male FA's on EK and EY are likely to be Gay?
I would not worry about getting thrown into prison for having sex with someone in Orlando.

The only two male EK FAs I know are straight so I can't comment.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
For starters, the FAs are mostly not Emirates citizens, but from all over the world (India, for example).
So the EK and EY FAs are not a representation of the UAE population.

Then, my understanding is that the FAs live at the Airline Compounds, which have EXTREMELY RESTRICTIVE living conditions about time off, when to go in or out, curfews, etc. and their life is closely monitored by management. It's like being in the USSR military during the cold war.

Whether there are gay FAs at EK or EY, has no correlation AT ALL with the gay life in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, which is non-existing, btw.

The comparison with Orlando is ridiculous. It is like saying that one would never step on New York (911) or go to a rock concert in France or take the tube in London (attacks of 2005).

Why not just stay at home.

BTW, regardless of sexual orientation, Dubai is a pretty lame vacation destination, IMO.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:21 pm

I'm at the Sheraton Grand TPE right now and it's the Emirate's crew hotel. 2 are totally on Grindr...should I interview them for the sake of FT knowing more about the company's GLBT life?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'm at the Sheraton Grand TPE right now and it's the Emirate's crew hotel. 2 are totally on Grindr...should I interview them for the sake of FT knowing more about the company's GLBT life?
Yes, please. TPE is Taipei, Taiwan right?

Ask them how is life like in the Housing compunds in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. IS it true there is a curfew and they control at what time they come in and get out, and the guest policy?
Also ask them what % of the EK and EY are UAE nationals? (I have heard it is close to 0%).
And of course, ask them about gay life in Dubai. Are they so scared that they just prefer to hook up in Taiwan or Los Angeles in their overnights?

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I was also in Dubai for a couple of days recently - didn't have any issues, but I also didn't really go out that much, as it was really really really hot.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'll be visiting Dubai next week for the first time and I was wondering as a gay man, what should I expect? I obviously not intending on being obvious but I was wondering if for example I should delete gay apps from my phone (Grindr, Scruff)?

I'm now back home from my trip and experienced no issues. Didn't meet up with anyone from the apps but they were buzzing with people. Also, without wanting to be crude, I saw plenty of obviously gay guys out and about.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:53 pm

I'm now back home from my trip and experienced no issues. Didn't meet up with anyone from the apps but they were buzzing with people. Also, without wanting to be crude, I saw plenty of obviously gay guys out and about.
How was Dubai?
Did you like it? Would you recommend it as a worthy tourist destination in general?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.