Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gaycation series on Viceland (new TV channel)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

Did anyone else catch the first episode of, "Gaycation," on the Viceland tv channel?

We watched last night. It was pretty interesting:
http://www.vice.com/read/gaycation-j...-page-viceland

I did a semester in Japan in grad school, and of course went to Shinjuku ni-chome, but I didn't know all of the history behind it.
This episode was exceptional. There is a scene where a Japanese guy comes out to his mother that is simply amazing.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Looks interesting - thanks for the tip!

Love Japan!
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
Watched an interview about this show the other day. Looks really good. I don't get the Vice TV channel but you can see a few episodes such as their Brazil experience online.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Watched all three episodes so far. . . their visits to Brazil and Jamaica (episodes 2 and 3) were sad and frightening in terms of the homophobia, attacks and murder of LBGTQ citizens in those countries. Ellen Page and Ian Daniel (both charming on camera) do explore the darker side and problems during their visits. It's hard to watch sometimes.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
I really like this show. I have seen all 3 episodes now (Japan, Brazil, Jamaica). The Japan one (having spent plenty of time there) did not address the overall cultural norms of no PDA and a very private culture, but I thought was well done. The Brazil and Jamaica ones made me really sad, but I think it's important that it's out there. They did a great job overall! Look forward to more!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:06 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I have found the series enjoyable but very superficial.

Just watched the fourth episode... the one on the US... found it very lacking.... and seemed predominately focused on trans issues....

Wish it was more in depth on the issues facing the community...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by wharvey
I have found the series enjoyable but very superficial.

Just watched the fourth episode... the one on the US... found it very lacking.... and seemed predominately focused on trans issues....

Wish it was more in depth on the issues facing the community...
I saw the fourth show and agree with you. I wish they would have visited some of the popular gay spots in the cities or gone to some hidden gems in the city to dine at. I thought her interview with Ted Cruz was interesting though.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:58 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Really surprised that they do not take the opportunity to highlight the cities they visit.... I agree on the Ted Cruz interview... you could tell he was not enjoying it at all....

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I saw the fourth show and agree with you. I wish they would have visited some of the popular gay spots in the cities or gone to some hidden gems in the city to dine at. I thought her interview with Ted Cruz was interesting though.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by wharvey
Really surprised that they do not take the opportunity to highlight the cities they visit.... I agree on the Ted Cruz interview... you could tell he was not enjoying it at all....
I liked the gay travel show Bump! that Charlie David did and the DVD's are available on Netflix. I used the info a few times on trips I took, only problem is the shows are at least a few years old and some of the places have closed. I wish a network would do more gay travel shows like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.