Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Tokyo recommendations

I'll be travelling to Japan with my OH next spring - from Easter for two weeks.

Am working out where best to stay in Tokyo. As a rule of thumb, in foreign cities I like to stay in the central district where the gay nightlife is, which is usually also where some decent restaurants are and is easy to get around.

Therefore Shinjuku looks like this is the place in Tokyo. Is that correct? In any event, is that the 'best' place to stay in Tokyo?

We're most likely to spend the first and last couple of days of our trip in Tokyo, therefore could easily be in different parts of town for each stay, if there are two good areas to be.

If anyone has specific hotel recommendations then please let me know too
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I recommend this property it is a perfect location:

IBIS Shinjuku or

BEST WESTERN Shinjuku Astina Hotel
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:34 pm

Definitely stay in Shinjuku; I usually stay at the Hyatt Regency because the cash and points redemption is often very cheap. It's a ten minute walk from Shinjuku station but is also connected to the Metro lines. Ni-Chome, a district in Shinjuku, holds all of the gay bars. My friend and I had a great time at Arty Farty. We ended up meeting a group of locals that we went off with to other bars for the rest of the night.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I would recommend checking out the bar Dragon Men in addition to Arty Farty, had a great time last week. Plenty of nightlife options around Ni-Chome.

Be mindful that if you stay outside of Shinjuku and choose to go out, the subway closes early (between 12 and 1 AM). You may be in for an expensive cab ride home.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you all! I'll hone in on Shinjuku in that case.

Also makes it easier to get to/from Narita airport, as far as I can see.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
You'll have a blast! I love Tokyo and get excited every time I get a trip there. Shinjuku will not be boring! I always take the N'EX train - as a foreign passport holder you can get a one-way ticket in standard cabin for 1/2 price. Very convenient. Green car is nice (have ridden it about 4 times), but nothing extra special or different to make me recommend spending extra money on that. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
I would also recommend Shinjuku for convenience (or Shinagawa if you want to quickly and conveniently leave Tokyo on Shinkansen).

Ibis Shinjuku a good idea (not expensive), Sunroute Plaza or potentially Shinjuku Prince Hotel if you sign up for their free PCI membership for further discount (roughly JPY 2,000/night on the lowest rates):

http://princeclubinternational.com/

For Tokyo it is advisable to book EARLY (they have a lot of free cancellation bookings) as they tend to sell out during touristic periods.

I would avoid Washington Hotel, E-Hotel or Sunlite.

And, indeed, take advance of the new, reduced Narita Express (N'EX) prices for foreigners:

Previously they were keeping the standard price but giving a local transportation card (SUICA) with JPY 2,000 on it.

Also be careful that most hotels still offer SMOKING rooms by default. If you're not a smoker, that can be a deadly mistake. Make sure it's non-smoking if it's important to you.

Concerning the IBIS Shinjuku, I have trouble to make them listen. Customer services keeps quoting the T&Cs without actually reading my explanations. I am trying to simply apply this discount to a new booking (pay 3 nights, get 4):

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/leclub...discount.shtml

But:
  • My Platinum Card # is refused (Your identification is not valid ; please check and re-enter your details.)
  • The special 3=4 rates does not appear on the hotel website rates

Anyone succeeded booking this hotel with 3=4?

Julien

Last edited by generikz; Nov 3, 2015 at 1:51 am
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:58 pm

Speaking of Tokyo, I'm headed in February to go see Madonna... anyone around.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I was less than impressed with Tokyo gay nightlife. I've been 3 times (during different points of the year ranging from summer to winter) but all but one outing was solo. So at least you'll have your OH with you. Similar to Singapore I just didn't get the vibe that you could strike up conversation with people...but, I'm also hardly one to pick up someone at a bar.

In terms of where I stay I've always stayed at The Tokyo Station Hotel and will probably do so any future trip, I absolutely love it.

If you're going to Kyoto (I hope you do) please be sure to check out what Kimi and her husband do at WA Experience KAFU http://kafu.co/
The ikebana class was one of my favorite things I've done.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you all!

We certainly are travelling to Kyoto, then will do a road trip out from there to enjoy the countryside, Onsen, etc.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
So which one is better between these 2 hotel Mercure Ginza or Ibis Shinjuku in term of location and comfort? The first is almost twice the price.

Last edited by lingua101; Nov 27, 2016 at 10:46 am
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lingua101
So which one is better between these 2 hotel Mercure Ginza or Ibis Shinjuku in term of location and comfort? The first is almost twice the price.

Shinjuku has more nightlife in my opinion, Ginza I found a little boring.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
If you're looking for a hotel right in Shinjuku I recommend the Lonestar. Small rooms, but spotless, comfortable, cheap, on the doorstep of everything: http://www.thehotel.co.jp/en/lonestar/

Weekends often show as 'sold out' but going through the hotel's own website, and being a member (free to join), usually gets you weekends (if not, you can email the hotel).

The IBIS on the other side of the station is a fair walk.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Stay in an AirBnB near Shinjuku Gyoenmae. That's where I always stay. Cheaper than hotel in the area and excellent quality with free pocket wifi. Just five minute walk to the gay bars. Take a taxi anywhere late at night and it's going to cost you 15$+++ for even the fastest trip.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: *A
Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on a trip to Tokyo early 2017. Thinking Shinjuku or Ueno is the place to stay.

Any tips on cafes, restaurants or gay onsens would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.