Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Brazil in September : What should be on my itinerary (other than Rio)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)

So I have to go to South America for work. Will be flying down there probably around Aug 31st, but my work related stuff doesn't begin until 9/13 in Rio.

All I have planned at this point is 5 nights in Rio (9/8-13). Any brainstorms/suggestions about where might be a good place to visit for the first week?

Things to know:

* I'm trying to find a nice relaxed location (beach would be fine). I know September is shoulder season though, so my main question is what would be a good place to go in early September.

* I'm fine taking some domestic flights, but don't want to spend too much time hopping around, so I'm thinking 1 , 2 max additional destinations before my 5 nights in Rio.

*Traveling solo. Single GM. Like a good party, but don't need to do that all the time.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by defiance96
So I have to go to South America for work. Will be flying down there probably around Aug 31st, but my work related stuff doesn't begin until 9/13 in Rio.

All I have planned at this point is 5 nights in Rio (9/8-13). Any brainstorms/suggestions about where might be a good place to visit for the first week?

Things to know:

* I'm trying to find a nice relaxed location (beach would be fine). I know September is shoulder season though, so my main question is what would be a good place to go in early September.

* I'm fine taking some domestic flights, but don't want to spend too much time hopping around, so I'm thinking 1 , 2 max additional destinations before my 5 nights in Rio.

*Traveling solo. Single GM. Like a good party, but don't need to do that all the time.

Thanks for any ideas!
How about Florianopolis-though not sure how warm the weather is in September. If you like really, really big cities then Sao Paulo. Or maybe Recife in the North.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
How about Florianopolis-though not sure how warm the weather is in September. If you like really, really big cities then Sao Paulo. Or maybe Recife in the North.
Thanks.Florianopolis was a thought but yes, I was wondering if it might be more temperate than warm. Recife seems like a possible idea. I also have been doing research and Natal/Pipa beach sound really charming and relaxing....not sure how challenging it might be to get there though.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Not a beach destination, but one place I would like to see sometime in my life is the Iguacu Falls.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
If you want something relaxing and beachy, why not go to Fernando de Noronha? It's a pain to get to but it is amazing once you are there, and it seems like you have time.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:18 pm
Suspended

I'll be in Rio for a week as well in September, but plan to do just a few day trips.
Any idea why hotels are so outrageously expensive? Even after the Real depreciation, BOS and NYC look affordable compared to Rio.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I'll be in Rio for a week as well in September, but plan to do just a few day trips.
Any idea why hotels are so outrageously expensive? Even after the Real depreciation, BOS and NYC look affordable compared to Rio.
Deleted

Last edited by carlosdca; Jul 18, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
because rio, just like sao Paulo new York and Boston, is one of the largest cities of huge country that has a gigantic economy.
There's TONS of people with loads of money living in rio and sao Paulo and there are tons of foreign business people visiting Rio and Sao Paulo all the time.

The Brazil-USA air routes are one of the few where business and first class cabins are full with paying passengers (not upgraders or award miles pax)
I found the real reason: "Custo Brasil".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_cost
http://www.economist.com/news/specia...ey-price-wrong
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoz...e-than-europe/

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jul 18, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Not sure, since a currency crisis is happening! It looks like Brazil is a lot cheaper when buying in Reals. Are the hotels you are looking at pricing in Reals? Or maybe USD and they up their price because of the deflation of the Real? http://www.ft.com/intl/fastft/364911...eal-hits-skids

So since I posted, I've decided on my itinerary!

Praia de Pipa 8/31 (3 nights)
Salvador 9/3 (5 nights)
Rio 9/8 (5 nights, Dieuwer, does this overlap with your trip)?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
I would definitely recommend Iguazu Falls - I've been there twice before when visiting close family friends in central Parana. It's such an amazing sight and the Macuca Safari is amazing - it's a boat ride underneath some of the falls. The Itaipu Dam is nearby and is also an interesting tour to do.

Costa do Sauipe (just north of Salvador) has some all inclusive resorts if you are looking to laze about pool/beach side for a bit. Salvador itself is also a great city to visit - great history and a melting pot of culture and cuisine.

If you like clubbing then Balneario Camboriu would be my recommendation - Green Valley and Warung Beach club are two highly regarded nightclubs located there. It's a bit off the beaten track for non-South American tourists but during certain times of the year it is heaving. A few touristy things to do nearby as well.

For a wee city break away from Rio/SP you could possibly check out Curitiba - about an hours flying time from the two big cities with frequent flights although overnight sleeper buses are another option to check out. I've only transited through CWB but I've heard great things about the city - the botanic gardens are meant to be lovely. If you like arts/architecture then you would enjoy the Oscar Niemeyer museum there.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perthflyer
I would definitely recommend Iguazu Falls ....
....Costa do Sauipe ....Balneario Camboriu ....Curitiba
Thank you for the suggestions for perhaps my return trip to Brazil

If you have any specific Salvador suggestions though that would be great! (I am staying in Barra.)
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

following up to see if you have anything to share about your time in Salvador. Thinking of spending 3 nights there in late February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.