Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Best drag shows in the States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott

Anyone know of really good drag shows. I like all kinds. We've seen the show in Vegas.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Anyone know of really good drag shows. I like all kinds. We've seen the show in Vegas.
I can only speak for Micky's and Dreamgirls at Mos in San Diego.

Micky's in Los Angeles has a drag show every Monday. It is mostly lip-syncing and it usually features drag queens of RuPaul's drag race fame.
The host is usually Raven (runner up of said show twice) who is hilarious! After the show is over, Micky's stays busy for quite a while and the drag queens may hang out for a little.

Dreamgirls in San Diego every Wednesday at Mo's is a little bit more toned down. Host is Chad Michael's (Cher). Chad is not as funny as Raven. When the show is over everybody goes to bed. Well, it is not LA!

Micky's requires reservation if you want a seat. Otherwise you have to watch from the back standing. I highly recommend reservation (just call and ask to make a reservation for Monday drag show, it is free but you are expected to order drinks and have dollar bills to tip the performers). Micky's serves drinks only, no food.
Mo's is similar and there is drinks AND food.

I don't know how the shows in Las Vegas area but the ones above are at bars and therefore somewhat intimate (While still loud!) There is more of fans and gays than real girls celebrating a special occasion.

Last edited by carlosdca; Mar 25, 2015 at 4:28 am
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: HH Silver
While probably not the best, I had a great time at Toucan's Tiki Lounge in Palm Springs. And I don't like drag shows usually....
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I can only speak for Micky's and Dreamgirls at Mos in San Diego.

Micky's in Los Angeles has a drag show every Monday. It is mostly lip-syncing and it usually features drag queens of RuPaul's drag race fame.
The host is usually Raven (runner up of said show twice) who is hilarious! After the show is over, Micky's stays busy for quite a while and the drag queens may hang out for a little.

Dreamgirls in San Diego every Wednesday at Mo's is a little bit more toned down. Host is Chad Michael's (Cher). Chad is not as funny as Raven. When the show is over everybody goes to bed. Well, it is not LA!

Micky's requires reservation if you want a seat. Otherwise you have to watch from the back standing. I highly recommend reservation (just call and ask to make a reservation for Monday drag show, it is free but you are expected to order drinks and have dollar bills to tip the performers). Micky's serves drinks only, no food.
Mo's is similar and there is drinks AND food.

I don't know how the shows in Las Vegas area but the ones above are at bars and therefore somewhat intimate (While still loud!) There is more of fans and gays than real girls celebrating a special occasion.
Is that Raven that performed at Backstreet with Charlie Brown's Cabaret in Atlanta many years ago? I loved her Wonder woman act.

I miss the drag shows at Backstreet (and the bar). Raven and Lily White were great

Not sure if they still do these, but Burkhart's in Atlanta was a fun place to go on Sunday nights for drag shows. They had this act called the gospel girls and they used to have regular drag shows on Saturday night. Not as entertaining as Backstreet but still good.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
Mmm, not familiar with shows in the States. Come to eastern Canada, and we can talk.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
The Footlight Theater at Orlando's Parliamant House has always featured some of the best drag in the southeast.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SPG Plat
Come to Provincetown in the summer and you can experience every kind of drag show imaginable. There's something different pretty much every night of the week.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Is that Raven that performed at Backstreet with Charlie Brown's Cabaret in Atlanta many years ago?
I am not sure. I think Raven is a Southern California Native but she might have been around before settling in the LA scene.
Here she is:
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I am not sure. I think Raven is a Southern California Native but she might have been around before settling in the LA scene.
Here she is:
Different Raven. Raven performed for a long time as part of Charlie Brown's cabaret at the old Backstreet in Atlanta. She was best known for her wonder woman act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFjB2_i6_JA
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
I agree with plagwate! You will not find better drag shows than the ones in Orlando at the Parliament House's Footlight Theater. We also have a great theater in Dallas at the Rose Room at Station 4.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rikahlberg
Come to Provincetown in the summer and you can experience every kind of drag show imaginable. There's something different pretty much every night of the week.
I love Miss Richfield
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great ideas.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
If you visit San Francisco, there is a sunday brunch drag show that has been recurring for years at the Starlight Room on the top floor of the Sir Francis Drake hotel:

http://www.starlightroomsf.com/

If you follow Rupauls Drag Race, the opening show in NYC in Feb/Mar is usually quite good with all past and current season performers.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
If you visit San Francisco, there is a sunday brunch drag show that has been recurring for years at the Starlight Room on the top floor of the Sir Francis Drake hotel:

http://www.starlightroomsf.com/

If you follow Rupauls Drag Race, the opening show in NYC in Feb/Mar is usually quite good with all past and current season performers.
That sounds great! We loved the city so much in early March that we decided to return in early December.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I love Miss Richfield
She is great fun.

The other stars of the Ptown drag scene include Varla Jean Merman, Coco Peru, Ryan Roberts, Thirsty Burlington, Scarbie, Trampolina Glenellen, Mona Mour, the random competitors at the weekly Showgirls and Auditions reviews, the Illusions show at the Crown & Anchor, and the ever bizarrely fantastic antics of Ryan Landry's Gold Dust Orphans productions.

And this year Jinkx Monsoon, Courtney Act, BenDeLaCreme, and Bianca Del Rio of RuPaul's Drag Race fame will be here during the season.

The kick-off for the summer happens in a couple of weeks with the Miss Gay USofA competition and Miss New England Classic USofA.

And I almost forgot Dina Martina! And then there's Pam Ann, who it turns out is actually a woman :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.