Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

The 10 Places LGBT Travelers Should Never Visit (Out Traveler)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 10 Places LGBT Travelers Should Never Visit (Out Traveler)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I am sure Anne Frank's family felt perfectly safe in Amsterdam, until they didn't. Enjoy Russia.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, United, IHG PLT, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Agreed. US gay nightlife is lame compared to Europe.
US is a big country, and Europe is a whole continent, so you cannot generalize.
While it is true that nightlife in certain European cities like Barcelona, Paris or Berlin is better than in most american cities, try going to Italy or certain eastern European countries, and you will not be complaining about US anymore. I'd rather be in Miami than anywhere in Italy if I'm looking for gay nightlife. I've been to Italy several times, there is a lot to visit in that country, but it sucks to be gay over there, one reason I'm taking a break from visiting Italy for a while.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by ilcannone
What do you want me to say about Chechnya? yes it's awful, an absolute crime against humanity, but seeing the political situation INSIDE Russia, I hold out little hope that much will be done about it. Little has been done about Chechnya regarding other issues, why would this be any different? Pessimistic, I know.

Frankly, sexuality shouldn't wholly determine a person, and one should adapt to their surroundings. Just like an American would expect someone else to adapt to their way of life. Yes, sexuality isn't exactly something that can be altered, but then nor are other things like religion or political beliefs.

Last names can be mere coincidences, wedding rings can be removed or changed position very easily. Just saying...

Besides, there's also some hypocrisy in the LGBT community - I know quite a few gay men who would love to go to Dubai etc, you know, a country that has pretty severe penalties for homosexuality, or will gladly go to the likes of Singapore, yet they boycott other places despite having pretty much the same beliefs? Yeah, that makes PERFECT sense...

EDIT: Also, the original article was a pile of rubbish anyway. Several of the places are leaps and bounds better than other places in the world.
Two points:

First, how on earth can you say that religion and politics are immutable conditions? People change them all the time and it is perfectly legitimate to challenge people on their personal and mutable beliefs that, for example, communism/monopoly capitalism is a great socio-political system or that some first century Palestinian agitator rose from the dead. It is not at all the same as being gay, or black, for example. Indeed one of the great things about the recent history of one of the countries you come from is that they have finally altered their attitudes and woken up to the evils of the Catholic church.

I in part agree with you on the hypocrisy of gay people on holiday destinations. I admit to one holiday trip to Dubai which won't be repeated. And I belong to an international business that has offices in many (from a gay point of view) unsavoury places. I put my clients' interests first for business travel.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I am sure Anne Frank's family felt perfectly safe in Amsterdam, until they didn't. Enjoy Russia.
The British Home Office, when fighting off and losing a Supreme Court challenge to their policy on gay asylum seekers on the grounds that any gay person could return to the closet when they were deported, responded to a question about Anne Frank by saying that if she had got to the UK she would be legitimately refused asylum because she could go back to Amsterdam and hide.......
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
What do you want me to say about Chechnya? yes it's awful, an absolute crime against humanity, but seeing the political situation INSIDE Russia, I hold out little hope that much will be done about it. Little has been done about Chechnya regarding other issues, why would this be any different? Pessimistic, I know.

Frankly, sexuality shouldn't wholly determine a person, and one should adapt to their surroundings. Just like an American would expect someone else to adapt to their way of life. Yes, sexuality isn't exactly something that can be altered, but then nor are other things like religion or political beliefs.

Last names can be mere coincidences, wedding rings can be removed or changed position very easily. Just saying...

Besides, there's also some hypocrisy in the LGBT community - I know quite a few gay men who would love to go to Dubai etc, you know, a country that has pretty severe penalties for homosexuality, or will gladly go to the likes of Singapore, yet they boycott other places despite having pretty much the same beliefs? Yeah, that makes PERFECT sense...

EDIT: Also, the original article was a pile of rubbish anyway. Several of the places are leaps and bounds better than other places in the world.
Well this thread is old so no one was talking about the original article (from more than 2 years ago!) until you brought the thread back from the dead because you had failed to gain traction in the Russia thread.

This is the second time you've brought up hypocrisy in response to me on this topic. That some gay people may be hypocritical with their travel choices is a non sequitur. People who know me on this forum or on my blog know I have spoken out about the human rights practices in the UAE and LGBT people visiting both there and the Maldives. No one's asked, but I wouldn't travel to Jamaica either. I go out of my way not to fly Etihad, Emirates, or Qatar. So you're not getting any traction out of that hypocrisy charge with me, bub.

As for your "sexuality shouldn't determine a person", I agree. I choose to travel to places where I can be comfortable being my whole self. But I think you're using that as part of a trope that basically says "just keep your gayness to yourself." I find that horribly offensive and outdated. I don't know what generation you are, but my generation doesn't say discrimination is okay if you're "acting gay" or didn't "tone it down."

The excuse "You have to respect their culture" Is also a non sequitur. Race discrimination was part (or in ways, is part) of American culture. Apartheid was part of South African culture. FGM is part of the culture in parts of Africa. There's no moral requirement that I accept that, or that I travel to places and embrace that culture uncritically.

What do I want you to say about Chechnya? Probably not "Russia isn't really bad, I had a fun dinner party once."

I agree little will be done to change the situation in Russia if people say "that's just the culture" or "it's not so bad, come visit anyway." Boycotts do put pressure on political regimes when they are widespread. Whether this would do so is another question, but you're repeated attack on people who have strong opinions on why they don't want to travel to Russia is unmerited.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Well this thread is old so no one was talking about the original article (from more than 2 years ago!) until you brought the thread back from the dead because you had failed to gain traction in the Russia thread.

This is the second time you've brought up hypocrisy in response to me on this topic. That some gay people may be hypocritical with their travel choices is a non sequitur. People who know me on this forum or on my blog know I have spoken out about the human rights practices in the UAE and LGBT people visiting both there and the Maldives. No one's asked, but I wouldn't travel to Jamaica either. I go out of my way not to fly Etihad, Emirates, or Qatar. So you're not getting any traction out of that hypocrisy charge with me, bub.

As for your "sexuality shouldn't determine a person", I agree. I choose to travel to places where I can be comfortable being my whole self. But I think you're using that as part of a trope that basically says "just keep your gayness to yourself." I find that horribly offensive and outdated. I don't know what generation you are, but my generation doesn't say discrimination is okay if you're "acting gay" or didn't "tone it down."

The excuse "You have to respect their culture" Is also a non sequitur. Race discrimination was part (or in ways, is part) of American culture. Apartheid was part of South African culture. FGM is part of the culture in parts of Africa. There's no moral requirement that I accept that, or that I travel to places and embrace that culture uncritically.

What do I want you to say about Chechnya? Probably not "Russia isn't really bad, I had a fun dinner party once."

I agree little will be done to change the situation in Russia if people say "that's just the culture" or "it's not so bad, come visit anyway." Boycotts do put pressure on political regimes when they are widespread. Whether this would do so is another question, but you're repeated attack on people who have strong opinions on why they don't want to travel to Russia is unmerited.
Russia is full on dangerous. At this point, officials of the Russian Federation appear to be actively engaged in Nazi style genocide.

If one is in Russia...leave...quickly. Chechnya is a trial run. I won't even change planes there now.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Russia is full on dangerous. At this point, officials of the Russian Federation appear to be actively engaged in Nazi style genocide.

If one is in Russia...leave...quickly. Chechnya is a trial run. I won't even change planes there now.
For what it's worth, Russia's a large country and is not 93% Muslim like Chechnya. You won't hear that on the news though. I'm sure it's unrelated of course.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
For what it's worth, Russia's a large country and is not 93% Muslim like Chechnya. I'm sure it has nothing to do with that of course.
That's like saying 'They are only rounding up gays in Alabama, with the tacit approval of the White House, so if you are in New York, you shouldn't worry'

The pro-Kremlin Kadyrov enjoys the support of Putin. He wouldn't do it without the approval of Putin. Kadyrov stated that the claims are false because gay people do not even exist in Chechnya, and if they did, their relatives would have already sent them away somewhere.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Frankly, sexuality shouldn't wholly determine a person, and one should adapt to their surroundings.
Do you mean hide that you are gay?

Sexuality is part of everybody's life.
Like when at the water fountain at work you ask, how was your weekend? And they say "great, I went to the zoo with my wife and the kids".
As a gay person you say "I went to visit grandma"? (instead of "I went to the bars with my husband"?)

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 23, 2017 at 9:55 pm
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
That's like saying 'They are only rounding up gays in Alabama, with the tacit approval of the White House, so if you are in New York, you shouldn't worry'

The pro-Kremlin Kadyrov enjoys the support of Putin. He wouldn't do it without the approval of Putin. Kadyrov stated that the claims are false because gay people do not even exist in Chechnya, and if they did, their relatives would have already sent them away somewhere.
I didn't say any such thing.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by rrgg
For what it's worth, Russia's a large country and is not 93% Muslim like Chechnya. You won't hear that on the news though. I'm sure it's unrelated of course.
Vladimir Putin is fully in control of Chechnya. This is Putin, Putin, and Putin. Quite frankly, I'd argue it has as much to do with the Russian Orthodox Church as it does with Islam.

These are not actions by a terrorist group, but rather by the state operating in its official capacity.

Sure, there's a prominent's block in Moscow and St Petersburg where a few LGBT spaces are allowed to sort of exist....but Russia is LOT more like Chechnya than it is like the Prominents Block in Moscow.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
So, uh, Singapore and Russia are in the same category wrt treatment of the lgbt community?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Russia is full on dangerous.

Speaking at least about Moscow, I completely disagree. Even in other parts of the country I feel perfectly safe.

So, uh, Singapore and Russia are in the same category wrt treatment of the lgbt community?
Well, Singapore TECHNICALLY has a law against homosexuality, Russia doesn't...so, go figure with that. And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if awful things do happen to LGBT people out in Singapore.

Do you mean hide that you are gay?
I do in Russia what I do ANYWHERE else in the world - not bother bringing anything up regarding my own preferences.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Speaking at least about Moscow, I completely disagree. Even in other parts of the country I feel perfectly safe.

Well, Singapore TECHNICALLY has a law against homosexuality, Russia doesn't...so, go figure with that. And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if awful things do happen to LGBT people out in Singapore.

I do in Russia what I do ANYWHERE else in the world - not bother bringing anything up regarding my own preferences.

I'm sorry you feel the need to hide your "preferences." I prefer not to hide who I am. It must be hard and exhausting going through life worrying about butching it up and making sure you dont do anything that would make people realize you're gay. A good reminder that some people still carry that fear and self loathing that comes with the closet.

There are plenty of places where one does not have to go through life trying to pass as straight, but of course there are people into "str8-acting" "masc 4 masc" even in places like New York.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sobe_dude
US is a big country, and Europe is a whole continent, so you cannot generalize.
While it is true that nightlife in certain European cities like Barcelona, Paris or Berlin is better than in most american cities, try going to Italy or certain eastern European countries, and you will not be complaining about US anymore. I'd rather be in Miami than anywhere in Italy if I'm looking for gay nightlife. I've been to Italy several times, there is a lot to visit in that country, but it sucks to be gay over there, one reason I'm taking a break from visiting Italy for a while.
Good points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.