Search

IML 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

IML 2015

IML 2015 - Chicago
At the Congress Plaza Hotel this year. I am planning to go, but not sure if I should stay at the host hotel. It looks a bit dingy to me. The rate for a queen room is $169/night. However, the Renaissance next door is only $28 per night more.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 6, 2015 at 10:27 am Reason: Added rate info
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'll be going from Friday to Monday this year.

Still not sure if I will stay at the host hotel or the Hilton on Michigan. I only stayed there once in 99 and it was a dump then but hopefully it has been renovated.

Hopefully it will be more fun again now that is back at Congress. Since it's been at the Hyatt and Marriott, it's turned into more of a circuit party and the hotels were pretty uptight about went on. Congress was a lot more laid back.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Host hotel is already sold out except for suites
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Wow. This morning they still had standard rooms.
I think the "problem" is the free 72 hour cancellation. I am sure many guys just booked a room to just hold something. Without regard of actually planning to stay at the host hotel.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
I was looking at the hotel booking page a couple of weeks ago and saw no suites then either. I've known vendors to reserve those so they can host parties. The standard rooms look pretty big though.

I tend to think events like IML are not worth attending if one is not staying at the host hotel, but the choice of the Congress has me uncertain about going this year. The organization of the lobby and bar areas is key, as is alerting the staff about what to expect. Plus, I would have preferred to score some Hyatt points again.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Looks like the standard room is back again.

Originally Posted by samonyc
I tend to think events like IML are not worth attending if one is not staying at the host hotel, ...
Why?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I called yesterday I was told they were sold out of standard rooms after the website was showing only suites available. I just called and they had a couple queens available so I was able to reserve one

I agree about staying at the host hotel. It's a lot more fun for events like IML being at the host hotel seeing anything go and you don't have to worry about offending anyone walking out of another hotel in leather to get to the host hotel
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
When I called yesterday I was told they were sold out of standard rooms after the website was showing only suites available. I just called and they had a couple queens available so I was able to reserve one

I agree about staying at the host hotel. It's a lot more fun for events like IML being at the host hotel seeing anything go and you don't have to worry about offending anyone walking out of another hotel in leather to get to the host hotel
But looking at the pics on Tripadvisor, the place still seems more like a motel to me.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
But looking at the pics on Tripadvisor, the place still seems more like a motel to me.
I stayed there in 99 and it was sort of a dump then but I heard they have renovated the place. It was the host hotel for years for IML until they moved it to the Palmer house in 2000 (I wish it was still at the Palmer hosue I love the hotel and liked getting my Hilton points and benefits).

I liked it at nicer hotels but hate how security has been the past few years even though there are signs all over the place saying it is a private event and only open to those attending.

I'm anxious to see how the leather market will be, I have no idea what the exhibit space is like there.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:02 pm

I took the plunge about an hour ago and booked a standard queen room (ha!) online from the IML site link for Thursday to Monday. I noticed two types of suites were available for booking too, one with a king bed and lake views, the other with two bedrooms.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Will there be a Flyertalk meet?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:20 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
I have never been to IML before. Would you guys recommend it? What is the crowd/scene like? In regards to hotel, in summer 2014 my college had a summer class/program in Chicago and us students were booked at the Congress Plaza. Checked in, saw room, and immediately took a cab to the Peninsula. Room was FILTHY!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:11 am

Quinlanty, you are probably familiar with the crowd that comes to San Francisco for Folsom and Dore Alley. It's the same people at IML, compressed into one hotel lobby, except there will be even more gear on display (and plenty of other things on display).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:24 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by samonyc
Quinlanty, you are probably familiar with the crowd that comes to San Francisco for Folsom and Dore Alley. It's the same people at IML, compressed into one hotel lobby, except there will be even more gear on display (and plenty of other things on display).
Cool! Hope to see some of you there
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
I have never been to IML before. Would you guys recommend it? What is the crowd/scene like?
Also similar to the MAL Weekend in DC, which occurs next weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.