Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gay accommodation in Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hilton Silver

Hi All

Headed to Mexico City for 1 week over Thanksgiving break. Was wondering about the GM9 Gay Guesthouse. Anyone stayed there? I can't seem to reach them (email or phone) so wondering if they've closed shop.

Any other gay-friendly recommendations for Mexico City welcomed!

Cheers
R
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:49 am

Ah, Mexico City is one of my favorite cities on Earth.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this place:

http://theredtreehouse.com/

It's owned by a gay couple, although it's not a "gay" hotel. Very reasonable rates, really wonderful rooms in a very nice part of Mexico City. You get a fresh cooked Mexican breakfast every morning as well as a happy hour in the evening. The staff is truly friendly and amazing. Real 5 star service here.

Also, just a few minutes walk to the bar "Toms" which you will have much more fun at than any gay hotel.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi Goteed1

Thanks for the reply. I booked The Red Tree House for the first 5 days and got El Patio 7 for the last 2 nights. I'll definitely check out Tom's. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goteed1
Ah, Mexico City is one of my favorite cities on Earth.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend this place:

http://theredtreehouse.com/

It's owned by a gay couple, although it's not a "gay" hotel. Very reasonable rates, really wonderful rooms in a very nice part of Mexico City. You get a fresh cooked Mexican breakfast every morning as well as a happy hour in the evening. The staff is truly friendly and amazing. Real 5 star service here.

Also, just a few minutes walk to the bar "Toms" which you will have much more fun at than any gay hotel.

Enjoy!
I stayed at the Red Tree House over Christmas and the weekend. Very nice property and great staff.
However, I found the eclectic mix of people (families with small kids and gay couples) very strange. Not my thing at all. I mean what are you gonna tell the family man at the afternoon wine hour when you just got back from your hookup when he asks you: "what did you this afternoon"?
I think it is fine for gay couples, but as a solo traveller I would stay somewhere else.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:36 pm

I was seeing the local sights.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I mean what are you gonna tell the family man at the afternoon wine hour when you just got back from your hookup when he asks you: "what did you this afternoon"?
I think this has to be the weirdest ( and maybe saddest) comment I have ever read on FT in the many years I have been a member.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I stayed at the Room Mate Valentina in November and loved it. Very W'ish, excellent location and an incredible bargain. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:50 pm

It's not gay per se, but the Four Seasons is super nice - and walking distance to Zona Rosa, Condessa, the Park, etc. We have stayed there three times as a couple, and it was great and definitely gay friendly. The neighborhood around Lincoln Park is nice to visit too.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Great tips all around.

I am headed back to Mexico City next week for work (Westin Santa Fe and Sheraton Maria Isabel) but checking out the new Quinta GYO gay hotel in Tepoztlan (1 hour outside of Mexico City, amidst hills). It's quite new so not many reviews out there. I'll write back after my visit.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by aardee
Great tips all around.

I am headed back to Mexico City next week for work (Westin Santa Fe and Sheraton Maria Isabel) but checking out the new Quinta GYO gay hotel in Tepoztlan (1 hour outside of Mexico City, amidst hills). It's quite new so not many reviews out there. I'll write back after my visit.
Tepotzlán? Wow, things have progressed! Glad to hear it. Cuernavaca has been gay-friendly for decades, Tepotzlán more recently. There are still some very conservative residents, with roots going back many centuries.

Beautiful scenery, and if you enjoy hiking ask for the trail to "El Tepozteco" pyramid (dedicated by the indigenous Nahuatl people's centuries ago to the dirty Tepoztecatl, god of pulque, a fermented beverage made from the maguey century plant. Pilgrims came from miles away to celebrate his days; kinda like an Aztec Bacchanalia. Brilliant views of the valley below, nice nature walk with interesting flora and fauna but significant gain in elevation. (May - November don't do this in the afternoon - the rains start here about 1 PM and move toward Cuernavaca, arriving about 4 PM.)

Many in the area still adhere to Nahuatl customs - you may hear Nahuatl spoken, see communal "mil pa" corn fields still planted with "tlacolol", the fire hardened digging stick. It's an interesting old town, with a mix of ancient and upscale. The film "The Magnificent Seven" (McQueen, Brynner et al) was partially filmed here in the 1960s.

I'll keep "un ojo" out for your report! (I lived in nearby Cuernavaca ~1946-1963 and took the old Tepotzlán community-owned "Ome Tochtli" bus service - means "Two Rabbits" in Nahuatl, probably what they had under the hood powering the bus .)

The town is about an hour from Mexico City; using the main highway to Cuernavaca and Acapulco, an off ramp and split-off road goes directly to Tepotzlán. Both highway and town are chock-fill on weekends and holidays; weekdays are much more tranquil, and likely cheaper.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 25, 2015 at 10:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.