Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Scott218
In Hong Kong Island, most of the scene moved over to the Wan Chai area - including Volume Beat. Tuesdays are great as you can go around four bars for Happy Hours.
Did you mean Sheung Wan rather than Wan Chai?
Old May 15, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
As someone who loves to go out, really do it up, I must sadly admit that HKG gay scene is VERY lacking. For such a large, world city, there's just NOTHING. A few bars scattered around.

Of course, I'm spoiled by Seoul. Terribly spoiled. But, I could just be missing the gay secrets of Hong Kong. For instance, in Seoul, everyone goes to Homo Hill. That's the first choice. It's literally just a handful of gay bars on a hill (but, at least in the middle of a giant nightlife area that adds to the atmosphere)...but most don't know about Jongno. It's real Korea gay and way better!

Did I miss this in HKG?
Old May 22, 2015, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
As someone who loves to go out, really do it up, I must sadly admit that HKG gay scene is VERY lacking. For such a large, world city, there's just NOTHING. A few bars scattered around.

Of course, I'm spoiled by Seoul. Terribly spoiled. But, I could just be missing the gay secrets of Hong Kong. For instance, in Seoul, everyone goes to Homo Hill. That's the first choice. It's literally just a handful of gay bars on a hill (but, at least in the middle of a giant nightlife area that adds to the atmosphere)...but most don't know about Jongno. It's real Korea gay and way better!

Did I miss this in HKG?
No, I'm pretty sure you didn't miss anything in HK (although I'd be happy to be wrong, if anyone has better info than me!). The closest HK has to a gaybourhood is the Shueng Wan area, where you have Volume Beat and Zoo across the street from each other, and Wink (which opened a few months ago) a couple blocks away.

There are a couple bars that locals will go to - I've heard of Boo bar in Kowloon - but in terms of a whole area or cluster of bars catering more to locals I haven't heard of that existing in HK.

And yes, many people complain that the HK gay scene is not as vibrant as other cities in Asia. Maybe a function of the real estate prices / rent in HK?
Old May 26, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
That's because you guys are looking for a physical scene. The "scene" in HK is online or through word of mouth. The apps are built for a place like HK. Try logging on when you're in Wanchai or Sheung Wan next time - its like an online bar scene with someone for everyone.

The unofficial g-hotel in Sheung Wan is the Holiday Inn Express SOHO, just a block away next to Beat/Volume. I've had to turn my phone/iPad off on Friday/Saturday night because of all the messages on the apps from boys looking for shelter after too many drinks.

Right now the best tourist-friendly scene is Friday nights at Linq or Time Cafe. Expect a lot of expats and their admirers hanging al fresco while looking for dates online.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Just a heads up that the W Hong Kong has their SHOCK WAVE Summer Series Pool Parties over the summer - the dates still to come this year are: June 27, July 18, August 1 and August 22. Early bird all inclusive tickets (which include Mumm and spirits) are HK$950 which is an absolute steal.

I went in 2013 and would highly recommend it. When I went it was a very mixed crowd...the one that I went to was my last night in HK and I found myself getting a taxi back to my hotel the next morning from a guy's place in Wan Chai where I managed to end up after the party. The next day hangover for my 18 hour journey back to PER was not so good though...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:10 am
Suspended

Any update on Hong Kong? I am considering visiting over Thanksgiving (late November). Solo travel.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perthflyer
Just a heads up that the W Hong Kong has their SHOCK WAVE Summer Series Pool Parties over the summer - the dates still to come this year are: June 27, July 18, August 1 and August 22. Early bird all inclusive tickets (which include Mumm and spirits) are HK$950 which is an absolute steal.

I went in 2013 and would highly recommend it. When I went it was a very mixed crowd...the one that I went to was my last night in HK and I found myself getting a taxi back to my hotel the next morning from a guy's place in Wan Chai where I managed to end up after the party. The next day hangover for my 18 hour journey back to PER was not so good though...
I was at the W Hong Kong last August, and they had the pool party on I think Saturday night. So of course they kicked us out of the pool early evening to set up.
Then, apparently after the pool party, everyone goes down to the Living Room bar area, where they proceed to get more and more drunk. And then they tried to kick us out of the table we had been sitting at in the back for an hour or two, but a few of the guys I was with made a huge stink and got us comped a round of drinks. ^
The party was totally straight, basically 20- and 30-something expat men, and young local call girls. One was hysterically/futile-ly trying to pick us up, then after about 10 minutes realized we were all gay.
Anyway, it was kind of a mess, drunk people all over the place that could barely stand up. There was a good amount of security though.

Fun for a look, but totally not my scene...

But I love that hotel in general.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:10 pm

Any update on Hong Kong? I am considering visiting over Thanksgiving (late November).
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by perthflyer

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I was at the W Hong Kong last August, and they had the pool party on I think Saturday night. So of course they kicked us out of the pool early evening to set up.
Then, apparently after the pool party, everyone goes down to the Living Room bar area, where they proceed to get more and more drunk. And then they tried to kick us out of the table we had been sitting at in the back for an hour or two, but a few of the guys I was with made a huge stink and got us comped a round of drinks. ^
The party was totally straight, basically 20- and 30-something expat men, and young local call girls. One was hysterically/futile-ly trying to pick us up, then after about 10 minutes realized we were all gay.
Anyway, it was kind of a mess, drunk people all over the place that could barely stand up. There was a good amount of security though.

Fun for a look, but totally not my scene...

But I love that hotel in general.

I was wondering if anyone else had attended the pool parties more recently. I'll be in town for the 23/6 one, and the $888 for entry + free flowing booze/champagne is tempting. It might be nice to crack out my speedo again, but I am wondering if it won't be too unusual to be both going alone AND not interested in getting a call girl.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:45 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Just booked May 19-25 for HK and at the Conrad....anything in particular that comes to mind??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.