Search

FLL / MIA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

FLL / MIA

Hi,

going to Florida beginning October.
Any suggestions for Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Naples and Orlando?
Are there any discounts for Disney?

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: Lufthansa-BA-Ethihad-Turkish Airlines-China Airlines-Oman Air - Hilton - Marriott...
same travel plans in late november which gay resort in FLL and where to stay in Orlando ?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sweetbread
same travel plans in late november which gay resort in FLL and where to stay in Orlando ?
I stayed at Royal Palms earlier this year and was happy, good gay place if you are ok not being in Wilton Manors. A couple years ago I was in FLL and they were sold out and I stayed at the Hilton a few blocks away and they were fine with me using their pool since I bought lunch there and was buying drinks.

They have a small menu you can order from and the bar is open until pretty late and two pools that are always open. Right by the beach and an easy walk or bike ride to the mall. I had a great massage there at the spa the one day. Staff is great and Phillip the GM (who is straight) is really friendly and will walk around the property and talk to the guests at the pool and bar and try to get to know everyone's names. I just drank at their bar and the prices were reasonable, strong pours and they use Findlandia for their house vodka, which is fine for me for a well vodka. I definitely want to return soon.

The rooms are real basic motel type rooms, but clean and safe and I figure I'm not in the room much anyway.

It is no longer clothing optional, which isn't a big deal for me. Something about the liquor laws, it was either not sell alcohol or not be clothing optional anymore, and they chose to continue to serve alcohol. They are also no longer male only. Weren't many women there when I was there last time but there were a few, the bartender said someone came with his fag hag when they were men only and made a huge deal out of it when they wouldn't let her stay there and they were forced to change their policy over it. There are other men only resorts in FL so not sure if them having a liquor license had something to do with it.

I've never stayed there but have heard great things about the Grand Resort in FLL as well
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
FLL:
Two friends of mine love the Worthington house just steps away from the beach, it is an all gay hotel. They go there all the time and do not regret at all not being that close to Wilton Manors. They did not say great things about Wilton Manors other than that the bars are there and it's full of cops?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Years back before moving to Miami I did the Grand Resort and it was the nicest of places near the beach. Remember Wilton Manors will require a drive to the beach (in FLL traffic, man does this area have oodles of traffic). Miami has no gay areas per se although South Beach certainly has the men (I prefer living in less touristy Coral Gables). Naples, beautiful place, lots of retired people but not much gay although some bars in Fort Myers). Orlando, you could not pay me to vacation there.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: CO
The Worthington merits your consideration

I'm a big fan of The Worthington, having tried a half dozen other gay venues in FLL. It now offers 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. Its rooms are well furnished and up-to-date; most of them are probably better than the Royal Palms rooms that I've seen. Staff is friendly and efficient. And it's still clothing optional, with a very good vibe. Late at night, it can get frisky. It does skew a bit older, though there are the occasional twinks.

I now go to FLL twice a year and always return to The Worthington.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Ollie
I'm a big fan of The Worthington, having tried a half dozen other gay venues in FLL. It now offers 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. Its rooms are well furnished and up-to-date; most of them are probably better than the Royal Palms rooms that I've seen. Staff is friendly and efficient. And it's still clothing optional, with a very good vibe. Late at night, it can get frisky. It does skew a bit older, though there are the occasional twinks.

I now go to FLL twice a year and always return to The Worthington.
I thought about staying there or the grand sometime. Is the worthington men only and do they have a bar and food for sale?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:37 am

Men Only at The Worthington

The Worthington is, indeed, men only. Lots of guys. All ages, all shapes.

It does not have a bar (if it did the Liquor Commission probably would ban the nudity, as it has at Royal Palms). The closest gay bar (and only gay bar near the ocean) is 2 blocks away at the Royal Palms. It's a good bar; I've been there lots. A block from the Worthington, the new bar at the Hilton on the ground level (called Surf, Sun, Sand -- or S3) is very good and offers sushi and other snacks. It is, however, straight (though "gay friendly"). Other bars within a short walking distance are at the W Hotel and at the Westin (at Shula's, where there is an extensive menu). Shula's is on ground level and thus offers great ocean views.

The Worthington does not offer or sell food. It, of course, offers a very decent continental breakfast and, on Saturday afternoons, a no-cost happy hour with a full range of drinks and nibbles. The best nearest place to stock-up for food, beer and wine is at the new Publix supermarket on Sunrise Blvd, about a 6 minute drive from the Worthington (add 10 minutes if you get caught with a bridge going up over the Inter-coastal). A 7 Eleven is within 15 minutes walk.

The Worthington is full of guys who keep coming back. That's a good testimony to how well it is liked.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by sweetbread
Don't limit yourself to 'gay resorts'. Most of them are crap. No place in South FL has problems with gays.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Ollie
The Worthington is, indeed, men only. Lots of guys. All ages, all shapes.

It does not have a bar (if it did the Liquor Commission probably would ban the nudity, as it has at Royal Palms). The closest gay bar (and only gay bar near the ocean) is 2 blocks away at the Royal Palms. It's a good bar; I've been there lots. A block from the Worthington, the new bar at the Hilton on the ground level (called Surf, Sun, Sand -- or S3) is very good and offers sushi and other snacks. It is, however, straight (though "gay friendly"). Other bars within a short walking distance are at the W Hotel and at the Westin (at Shula's, where there is an extensive menu). Shula's is on ground level and thus offers great ocean views.

The Worthington does not offer or sell food. It, of course, offers a very decent continental breakfast and, on Saturday afternoons, a no-cost happy hour with a full range of drinks and nibbles. The best nearest place to stock-up for food, beer and wine is at the new Publix supermarket on Sunrise Blvd, about a 6 minute drive from the Worthington (add 10 minutes if you get caught with a bridge going up over the Inter-coastal). A 7 Eleven is within 15 minutes walk.

The Worthington is full of guys who keep coming back. That's a good testimony to how well it is liked.
That place is pretty disgusting.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:17 pm

The Worthington is worth your consideration

It, of course, is not disgusting.

It is a first-rate gay resort worthy of consideration.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jbps68
Hi,

going to Florida beginning October.
Any suggestions for Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Naples and Orlando?
Are there any discounts for Disney?

Thanks
When my partner and I go to MCO (D World) we usually stay at the Grand Floridian. It's expensive but it usually doesn't have many kids and it's easy to get to and from the park.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:58 am

I would recommend Pineapple Point if you prefer somewhere upscale. It's a terrific resort, with a Caribbean/West Indies theme and very exclusive:

www.pineapplepoint.com
Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
You didn't seem to only be asking about places to stay. So I'll just say that Haulover Beach (an openly nude beach with a gay section as well as mixed section) is a hoot to experience. Especially if you haven't tried this before. All body types, no attitude. Very friendly. My partner and I were there some time ago and they had a clinic set up to screen for skin cancer. The medical personnel were all as naked as the rest of us. 👀
Old Dec 31, 2016, 1:16 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Ressurecting an old thread

My husband and I will be going to Florida again this summer. As usual, focusing our trip on Key West (used to be Oasis regulars there, now going for the third time to the Equator). After staying ten days in Key West, we will have three nights on the mainland before flying out of MIA.

We haven't stayed in any gay resorts in FLL/MIA since 2004, when we stayed at Palm Plaza, which apparently now is Grand Palm Plaza, and apparently not very good. What are our options? The Worthington Complex appears to be the biggest. Clothing optional and male only is a requirement (if not, we could just as well stay in a mainstream hotel!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.