Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Acceptance of gay people in Taipei/Taiwan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I'm a 19 years old boy, from Italy. This year I finish my ''high school''. LGBT situation in Italy is very bad. I would share with you my experience. In my country and region is one of the most industrializated of Italy. Everyone say Italy is beautiful, but I think that everyone visit or live Italy want escape from this country. There are NO gays people here. Only in Milan there is a gay life, and only for old man, there aren' t young gay people... In my ''zone'' there is ''tolerance'' but not acceptance, a lot of fascist, all the people smile at you but you don't know what they really think. I have meet 2 or 3 gays and lgbt people face some discrimination. But the problem isn't the social discrimination. I visit the Netherlands and this country is a beautiful place, but I think that NL isn' t the country for me to live. I am a very curios man and i heard the name of taipei like one of the most tolerant place in asia. I never thought that there are a lot of gay people there !! But the acceptance for a young man?
I have no friend, no gay and absolutely no straight friend. I think this situation is all over the Europe. Not only me, all gay people that I met have no friends, no social life and are always lonely. people in Italy smile at you but italian are the ugliest people in the world... I have experienced this. A lot of fascists and nazists. :fume: :fume: An archaic society, particurally against women and foreigners. they seems russians.
The problem is that if I act like a straight, meaning that I am arrogant, rude, stupid, play football and I am a rapper and I .... all the girls in the wolrd society accept me, ( and I am like a maroccan). If I like guys society not accept me. Not only I can't be open with my sexuality, but ANYONE man accept that I am not gay, but HOMOSEXUAL, and this affect my character and the relationship between me and other boys. !! :thumbsdown:
I would make to you some questions, and I am very happy if you will answer me.

1) Taiwan is really a open-mind city? (differences betwenn old and young people?)
2) how young people( means boys that are lower of 30 years old) view the homosexuality?
3) Can I live a ''normal'' life?
4) Can I walk on the street holding a boys man without people that insult me ?
5) Can I go to the bar, cinemas, restaurants ecc with my boyfriend?
6) How is social life? (I think social life of taiwanese people is very active)
7) Cain I have STRAIGHT friend, or make new frineds or relationship and be open with my sexuality? Or people isolated me?
8) How taiwanese ''see'' the foreigners?
9) the most important: how taiwanese boy react to ''feminine man ( it' s not my case) or ''sweet'' ''interested'' man? ( I mean that taiwanese boys seems cute and sweet between them)
Thank you for the time you spending read my message, I hope you will answer me.
Sincerity

Sorry for the english, I read a lot of newspapers and books, but I think that I need more time to know the language.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I can't comment on Taiwan but I am surprised by what you say about Italy. When I traveled Italy and also lived in Siena/Florence for a few months in 2004, I just had to go lay out at a park and would get cruised/felt up. Florence at the time had a few clubs I recall…Tobasco, YAG, Silver something I believe? Also, I spent a few days in Rimini and went to Il Classic Club.
As far as socially, I am sad you have this situation and feel this way. As for Italians I've always viewed them as being very male/male comfortable (even between straight friends who may walk arm in arm for a stroll through the piazza) and 10 years ago never had any issues.

It seems like you are thinking of moving to Asia…so the beauty of that is going someplace new you can start fresh, new lifestyle, create the identity you want, etc.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Hyatt Something-ist, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I'll let someone who lives in Taiwan comment further, but I was just in Taipei for a brief trip with my husband and found that it was not an issue. Homosexuality is not illegal, gay bars and venues are publicly acknowledged, in districts like Ximending you can see couples holding hands, and so forth. I would consider it a bit more accepting than Tokyo, and around the middle of the spectrum of what you would find across the entirety of the United States.

In general I've found most of Asia to be perhaps not accepting, but polite. Taipei is not like San Francisco or Berlin, but isn't unsafe and it won't be a problem getting a date (supposing that you like asian men, of course).
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
from a visitors point of view I think Taipeh ranks second after Thailand in Asia.
No problem at all for gays.
When it comes to gay "infrastructure" (besides Ximending's big "RedHouse" complex) then I remember the best sauna (besides Babylon) in Asia was in Taipeh (where nearly all guys were max 30 years old).
PS:
(and when it comes to Italy I recall my very recent experiences in gay fetish clubs in Prato and Padova - but there were indeed only few twens, majority in their 30ies...)

Last edited by Creole Spirit; Jun 11, 2014 at 9:32 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Yes that is correct, Taipei is the most acceptance of LGBT group in northern part of Asia, it might not be the most developed or largest city compare to the nearby Hong Kong, at least the Chinese in Taipei are the most open-minded.

Even with that, I do have to ask you why are you asking about Taiwan when you live in Italy ? How do you plan to move and live in Taiwan ? Are you exclusively into Asians particually Chinese ? If not I have to tell you there are not that many westerners in Taiwan compare to Hong Kong.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I cannot answer most of your questions specifically. Up to a point, Taipei is pretty gay-friendly; or politely tolerant without being truly accepting. Also, not to put a fine point on it, Taiwanese are really friendly with foreigners (at least White foreigners). I think Taipei is a better place to be gay than Hong Kong or Tokyo (I don't know about SE Asia).

The Taipei gay community (really, communities) is large and most of it is pretty welcoming, though it can also be clique-y. With less flexibility than in the US, say, gay men identity themselves as either top or bottom (that's just a generalization, of course). It would be helpful if you knew Chinese, or at least were willing to spend time learning it.

My advice is a nutshell: take a 2-week vacation to Taipei and see how you like it. (Keep expectations realistic.)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:00 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Taipei is amazing. See if you can find this film 十七岁的天空 or Formula 17 - its a great insight into how life is like in Taiwan for a teenager coming into the scene. Fiction but not far from the truth. I once made the mistake of turning on my Grindr/Jack'd on my phone while having a drink al fresco in Ximending - my phone kept buzzing in my pants!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.