Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tbilisi and Yerevan

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Tbilisi and Yerevan

Planned a trip for this summer-- has anyone been recently? Any recommendations? I know these places aren't particularly hotspots for gay life but any bars/places to go?
Old May 6, 2014, 5:49 pm
aeo

I'm going to be in Armenia over Memorial Day; glad you started this thread. Hoping someone knowledgeable responds to this!
Old May 6, 2014, 11:33 pm

No recent experience, but I'd like to visit these cities and Batumi in September. I was told by a local that it's the best month in the Caucasus. Mid-summer can get uncomfortably hot.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
All I know about Tbilisi is where gays got beat up by homophobes supported by and within the church, and the police turned a blind eye: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/wo...n-georgia.html

Not the most helpful travel advice, but stay safe.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
All I know about Tbilisi is where gays got beat up by homophobes supported by and within the church, and the police turned a blind eye: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/wo...n-georgia.html
Not the most helpful travel advice, but stay safe.
The Caucasus region is somewhat similar to the Arab Middle East in attitudes towards gays. It's rare that anyone would find same-sex affection objectionable (even in public). But their "homophobes" feel threatened by some peripheral features of the gay culture: extravagant or cross-dressing, undermining of gender identities, and social fragmentation. So their "homophobes" are more superficial, whereas the western ones aim for the core.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
I'm a 25-year-old travelling solo and will be in Tbilisi the 20-24 June and am trying to figure out the same. From what I've read, it looks more tolerant than many places I've been in the Middle East, but it certainly won't compare to Mykonos the following week.

If you happen to be there when I'm there by chance or have any more insight, I'd love to hear it as well.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Won't be there till next month but you'll have to report!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Been to both, and the scene is virtually non-existent in both, save for some gay-friendly bars, one of which I went to in Yerevan which was on Abovyan St, but I don't remember the name, and the bar was pretty much dead...

Having said that, the city is great anyway, and there were certainly gays there (eye-contact and all that...) but from talking to locals, there is virtually no scene to speak of.

Yerevan in particular is a great city, Tbilisi I found kind of average...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ryanbryan
Yerevan in particular is a great city, Tbilisi I found kind of average...
Any recommendations about the sights/places to check out in Yerevan?
Also, what are some good historic/archeological sites within a daytrip of Yerevan, and how best to get to them without renting a car?
TIA
Old Jun 9, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Any recommendations about the sights/places to check out in Yerevan?
Also, what are some good historic/archeological sites within a daytrip of Yerevan, and how best to get to them without renting a car?
TIA
Tsitsernakaberd, the Armenian Genocide museum is worth a visit, and worth a walk to if you're feeling ambitious, as it's perched on top of a hill in central(ish) Yerevan. The park surrounding is nice, and gives good views of Yerevan and Mt Ararat if the day is clear.

The Cascade is also one of the most famous sights and is located pretty much in the centre of Yerevan. Other places to check out are Republic Square (especially at night, they do a light show with the fountains) and the Opera and adjacent parks.

In terms of day trip stuff, Etchmiadzin, Garni and Geghard are probably the most famous sights around Yerevan and are all day-trippable. Your best bet if you don't want to drive is to take a tour. I had a friend drive me, so didn't need to, but Hyur Service http://www.hyurservice.com/eng/trips_reg_eng.php is pretty well regarded. Taxis are extremely cheap in Armenia as well, so you could probably easily book a driver through your hotel.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:32 pm

Great recommendations, @ryanbryan. Thanks a bunch! ☺
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks Ryanbryan! I'm going to look into some of this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.