Search

Where to rent in Key West

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Where to rent in Key West

Hello FTers,

So I know there are some gay places to stay, clothing optional, etc, but our group going to Key West isn't into that scene necessarily and would like to rent a home, around $2000-2500 a week for four people in May (two couples) and would love recommendations for properties and/or best location to enjoy Key West. None of us have been there so don't know much, except that Duval Street seems to be where the fun is. Any recommendations?

Saw that there are a few Hyatt Residences, any comment on those? Would they be too far away from the action? What do you all recommend?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
As I'm sure you know, Key West has gone completely mainstream. Cruise passengers disgorge thousands of people on the streets nearly every day, and the eccentric destination I used to love is long gone. That said, Key West is still extremely gay friendly, so you might want to look into AirBnb. I did a quick check and found three places available for the month of May - one is a houseboat - and all were in the 3500 - 5000 range. Perhaps you could play with the dates a bit, two two week stays, for example, but none of these three struck me as particularly enticing.

Last edited by KenCT; Mar 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm Reason: Add additional information
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
So I know there are some gay places to stay, clothing optional, etc, but our group going to Key West isn't into that scene necessarily
I haven't been to Key West either (going in a couple weeks on...gasp...a cruise), but my experience with the gay CO motels in Ft. Lauderdale is that there are varying levels of "sceniness." We stayed one night at the Worthington after a cruise a few years ago and there really wasn't anything going on, daytime or nighttime. Almost everyone had a bathing suit on by the pool/hot tub.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Avis First
The Hyatt is a little bit out of the way, but its still walkable. I would go with the AirBnB suggestion. Ideally, you want something in the old part of Key West, which is square formed by Eaton, White, Whitehead and Truman. You can also go a past Truman out to water and still be close enough to walk most places. Key West is place that you really don't need (or want) a car, unless you plan on going off the island. There is one chain hotel in this area, the La Concha, which is a Crowne Plaza. Head up to the rooftop around sunset while you are there, its the tallest building in Key West and has a 360 degree view of the island.

There aren't too many gay exclusive (and therefore clothing optional) places left in Key West, many have gone straight, so even if you stay in a B&B I think you'll be fine. As mentioned, the area is still gay friendly. Sadly Duval is getting more and more chain stores, but its still worth a visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.