Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Single gay male traveling through Iran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle

Hi all!

I am visiting Iran next month to tour Tehran, Esfahan, and Shiraz for about 11 days. It will be my first time in Iran and I would appreciate advice from any fellow homos that have been to Iran recently. I booked a tour through a tour company and I am all set with the visa situation. There is not much information on the internet when it comes to gay life in Iran, so I am curious if anyone has been recently.

Note that I am NOT looking to make a scene in Iran. I live and work in extremely homophobic countries (currently working in Uganda and Nigeria), and I know how to conduct myself. Just looking for guidance from fellow LGBT travelers who have visited Iran before. Thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:57 am

Location: شمال أمريكا والعالم العربي - N America + Arab World
Programs: *A, SkyTeam
I don't know much about travelling in Iran. My partner and I have a bunch of Irani friends, none who identify as gay, and I would love to visit. I am sure you will be fine as long as you navigate yourself as you have in the countries you have mentioned.
On a side note, you might want to get in touch with this twitter use: @IranLGBT ?

Good luck ^, let us know how it went.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Gayrab
I don't know much about travelling in Iran. My partner and I have a bunch of Irani friends, none who identify as gay, and I would love to visit. I am sure you will be fine as long as you navigate yourself as you have in the countries you have mentioned.
On a side note, you might want to get in touch with this twitter use: @IranLGBT ?

Good luck ^, let us know how it went.
Thanks for the reply. Are any of your Irani friends gay-friendly? Sometimes people may not identify themselves as gay, but they may be gay-friendly.

I will post a detailed report after finishing my travel. I believe it can help future gay travelers.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...th-792057.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ira...n-tehranbureau

Last edited by carlosdca; Mar 18, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
An American, touring Iran, mmmm, interesting........if you are not on a CIA covert mission then you will be on the CIA and Homeland(Casa Patria) security blacklist.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
An American, touring Iran, mmmm, interesting........if you are not on a CIA covert mission then you will be on the CIA and Homeland(Casa Patria) security blacklist.
It is actually not that bad. Many Americans visit Iran every year as tourists. If I had to be blacklisted for my travels, that would have happened the first time I went to work abroad. Most of my career has been spent working in countries with active civil wars. I even know of many Americans that have visited North Korea as tourists.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
It isn't common for Americans to go to Iran, but it does happen, perhaps more than you may think. The statement perhaps was a feeble attempt at humor, but is based on stereotypes, assumptions, and fear, rather than rational thought, kind of like linking gays to pedophiles as Mr. Putin does.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by passioninlife77
It is actually not that bad. Many Americans visit Iran every year as tourists. If I had to be blacklisted for my travels, that would have happened the first time I went to work abroad. Most of my career has been spent working in countries with active civil wars. I even know of many Americans that have visited North Korea as tourists.
Well, put. Maybe a couple tidbits to share:

Back in 2005 when it was still novel, my ex and I had the opportunity to go to Pyongyang. We found out about it last minute, when we were already due to fly to St Maarten the next day. If flying St Maarten-Pyongyang didn't put us on CBP's radar, pretty sure nothing will.

We also visited Kish Island maybe 5 or so years ago. No visa required for Kish, but upon seeing American passports with 100+ pages, they put us off to the side to "wait" before being hauled into a back room. Nobody spoke any english, and we were nervous as hell what was up....to the point we started going through the iPhone and deleting apps....Grindr, etc, you get the pic...

They just wanted fingerprints, and let us go.

On the way back into the airport that evening, one of the guys came running up to my ex saying "YOU! COME!" and grabbed his arm and guided him back to that back room...and wouldn't let me go. I had no idea what the hell was up...and was prepared to get on the flight back to Dubai and rush to the embassy/etc.... Turns out they just didn't get a clear set of his fingerprints, and were probably concerned superiors in Tehran would get pissed.

Of course, we also went to Somalia together....

This post is making me think I should write a book about semi-undercover gay travel
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Well, put. Maybe a couple tidbits to share:

Back in 2005 when it was still novel, my ex and I had the opportunity to go to Pyongyang. We found out about it last minute, when we were already due to fly to St Maarten the next day. If flying St Maarten-Pyongyang didn't put us on CBP's radar, pretty sure nothing will.

We also visited Kish Island maybe 5 or so years ago. No visa required for Kish, but upon seeing American passports with 100+ pages, they put us off to the side to "wait" before being hauled into a back room. Nobody spoke any english, and we were nervous as hell what was up....to the point we started going through the iPhone and deleting apps....Grindr, etc, you get the pic...

They just wanted fingerprints, and let us go.

On the way back into the airport that evening, one of the guys came running up to my ex saying "YOU! COME!" and grabbed his arm and guided him back to that back room...and wouldn't let me go. I had no idea what the hell was up...and was prepared to get on the flight back to Dubai and rush to the embassy/etc.... Turns out they just didn't get a clear set of his fingerprints, and were probably concerned superiors in Tehran would get pissed.

Of course, we also went to Somalia together....

This post is making me think I should write a book about semi-undercover gay travel
Great story! Thanks for sharing.

I worked in Somaliland in the past, so I know what you mean by visiting Somalia.

Still looking for information from any fellow homos who have been to Iran. Anyone? Bueller?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you're single and on a group tour, I suspect your experience in Iran won't be any different from that of a non-gay person.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
If you're single and on a group tour, I suspect your experience in Iran won't be any different from that of a non-gay person.
I am going on a private tour. I am not fond of group tours, because I am a lazy tourist and I do not like to be rushed with a group.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:11 pm

I've always want to go to Iran (and Pakistan) but I'm a wimp. Please post a trip report when you return! ^
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
I've always want to go to Iran (and Pakistan) but I'm a wimp. Please post a trip report when you return! ^
Will do!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by passioninlife77
any fellow homos
boy, it's been decades since I've heard that word used!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevinsac
boy, it's been decades since I've heard that word used!
Haha! Perhaps I am showing my age with the language I use? I am only in my third decade, but I have always been an old soul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.