Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Rio Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Hi there! If you're not into clubs but up for having a drink, No Tem Ai is a bar/restaurant in Ipanema which is very popular with locals. There is also a diner on the corner and a coffee house down the street that are also popular hang out places. For nightlife, check the local English paper The Rio Times which usually posts interesting and safe night-life events.

For those looking for good hotels in Ipanema, check out decolar dot com for rates and reviews. Also, there is a Best Western in Ipanema for those who prefer a US name brand.

Originally Posted by Cris L
I'm looking forward to my weeks stay starting on the 21st. I'm looking for advice on what to do... Especially for the evenings! I'm too old for the club scene!
Will be spending some time on the beach but not all my days!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:37 pm

I'll be in Rio de Janeiro for my fourth long vacation there between September 30 to October 17. I'm a 35 year old guy from California. I've had a great time making friends with other tourists on the gay beach in Ipanema during my previous three trips. If anyone's going to be Rio during my trip, let me know and we'll share some caipirinhas on the beach!

The best advice I'd give to anyone visiting Rio is (1) don't waste your money on the hotels. Even the best ones are disappointing and way substandard for what you pay. Renting a condo on VRBO or similar website is by far the better choice. My other piece of advice is (2) stay in Ipanema, not Copacabana. Ipanema is prettier, safer, and gayer, and it's where the hottest guys and the gay beach are located.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:32 am
Suspended

I stayed at the Windsor Miramar. Great hotel, good location, excellent staff.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
I also stayed at the Windsor Miramar, and agree that it is quite nice.

Last edited by Scott Kiwi; Oct 29, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Santiago/Rio Virgin

Planning a quick trip to Sth America next year on a ridiculously cheap Business(gotta love I class fares!) with QF. Will be visiting Santiago and Rio. Not much of a party animal and prefer to play things safe. Have planned Fri evening, Sat, Sun & Mon in Santiago/Vina del Mar and Tue evening, Wed and Thur in Rio(flight back to SYD Friday out of SCL).

Staying at Grand Hyatt in SCL but not sure where to stay in Rio. GH Rio seems too far for a quick trip. I'm getting impression Ipanema is the place to base myself in terms of safety/fun. Prefer 5 star or good 4 star property. I basically just want to see/enjoy the beaches and see Christo.....anything else I should consider as a must see in Rio? Is shopping & walking out of Ipanema/Copa area safe enough?

Anyone know a good tour guide?
Thanks in for any tips/advice
CJ
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Planning a quick trip to Sth America next year on a ridiculously cheap Business(gotta love I class fares!) with QF. Will be visiting Santiago and Rio. Not much of a party animal and prefer to play things safe. Have planned Fri evening, Sat, Sun & Mon in Santiago/Vina del Mar and Tue evening, Wed and Thur in Rio(flight back to SYD Friday out of SCL).

Staying at Grand Hyatt in SCL but not sure where to stay in Rio. GH Rio seems too far for a quick trip. I'm getting impression Ipanema is the place to base myself in terms of safety/fun. Prefer 5 star or good 4 star property. I basically just want to see/enjoy the beaches and see Christo.....anything else I should consider as a must see in Rio? Is shopping & walking out of Ipanema/Copa area safe enough?

Anyone know a good tour guide?
Thanks in for any tips/advice
CJ

Ipanema is where you want to be. The gay beach is at Farma. Ipanema is great for walking, site seeing and of course shopping and boy watching. Use common sense, particularly at night, and avoid looking like a typical tourist. Be mindful of everyone around you and leave nothing unattended on the beach.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Just stayed at the Cesar Park by Sofitel, right on Ipanema, and thought it was just right.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Just stayed at the Cesar Park by Sofitel, right on Ipanema, and thought it was just right.
Thats where I've booked. I hear the hotel will have completed renovations by end of March next year, just before Olympics.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Looking at VRBO, I found a beach front apartment at a reasonable, actually great, price. It has only one review, and looking at the calendar for the property, no dates are booked. I would prefer more reviews. I did note that my inquiry was answered by an agency, so that might be some comfort, but their answer didn't really answer my question. What do you think? What makes you comfortable with a property?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
Looking at VRBO, I found a beach front apartment at a reasonable, actually great, price. It has only one review, and looking at the calendar for the property, no dates are booked. I would prefer more reviews. I did note that my inquiry was answered by an agency, so that might be some comfort, but their answer didn't really answer my question. What do you think? What makes you comfortable with a property?
A generic response is not good.
And actually, I'd rather deal with an owner or long-term tenant than with an agency.

Usually, I go for those that have at least a few reviews (not only one).

A prompt and personal response that addresses any questions I have also make me feel more comfortable.

PLENTY of pictures of the rooms, bahtrooms, facilities, views from the windows and one snapshot of the entrance to the apt or exterior of the building (not generic pictures of the neighborhood) are good too.

I have never used VRBO though, only AirBnb and I have never had a problem.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Jan 19-26

This will be my 3 visit, and I can't wait.

I've not been to any of the clubs before, but this time I'm staying close to LeBoy..

Would you recommend?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:45 pm

Ditto to staying in Ipanema! The Sofitel is excellent, but nothing beats the sights and sounds of Ipanema. I stay at the Golden Tulip (and one day hope to splurge on the Fasano.) I've never done VRBO, but AirBnB in Rio is good if you're selective. (Way too many tiny hell holes overcharging because they're near the beach.)

As for LeBoy, it has gotten better. Take a short walk to TV Bar for something smaller, younger and hipper. On Sundays, there's also 00 in Gavea. It's gay only once a week.

I went to Rio in November and used the listings at http://vamosgay.com/rio and discovered some awesome places. There's also a section on Lapa, which has gay bars and clubs that aren't touristy at all.

This trip, it also seems that Rio has gotten much safer. Fewer panhandlers, street kids, and random people menacing around bars and stuff.

One last tip for Rio, watch your drink! In the US and Europe it's only females that get drugged, but it's a problem in gay Brazilian nightlife.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm going to Rio in mid-June for a mileage run. I'll be there 2 nights.

For starters, I booked the Hilton (it is $115/night), but I can cancel that without penalty. It is in Barra, close to the Olympic Park, but it appears not much else.

After skimming through this thread, I'm tempted to book either Golden Tulip or Sofitel Caesar Park, both in Ipanema.
Golden Tulip is a little less expensive, but only $20 or so a night.

A plus if I book Caesar Park is I'm doing another mileage run to Ho Chi Minh City in September, and there's another Sofitel there, so I'd be on my way with some points (it doesn't look like they have a credit card to help with status though).

Any thoughts on either property?
Old May 5, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm going to Rio in mid-June for a mileage run. I'll be there 2 nights.

For starters, I booked the Hilton (it is $115/night), but I can cancel that without penalty. It is in Barra, close to the Olympic Park, but it appears not much else.

After skimming through this thread, I'm tempted to book either Golden Tulip or Sofitel Caesar Park, both in Ipanema.

A plus if I book Caesar Park is I'm doing another mileage run to Ho Chi Minh City in September, and there's another Sofitel there, so I'd be on my way with some points (it doesn't look like they have a credit card to help with status though).

Any thoughts on either property?
For the short stay, if youw ant to do anything, dont stay in the Hilton. It is not convenient to anything.
Ipanema, Copacabana, or Leblon. Le Club Accor points transfer to Iberia at a very good rate, which can be transferred to BA Avios.
Old May 5, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm

Ditch the Hilton, for sure.

Either Golden Tulip or Ceasar Park are great choices (location/price wise). Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.