Bangkok for New Year

Subscribe
Quote: That's the whole point!!

Usually fly CX via HKG.
Lol - guess where I'm posting from------ the Pier at HKG enroute to BKK.
Quote: How do you East-Coasters get to BKK? Seems like a trek half around the planet.
In the good old days of the SQ-DL partnership, I'd schlep to an SQ US gateway then take SQ, sometimes just to HKG or SIN and sometimes all the way to BKK. I've done MH once or twice and MU once, AF via CDG once. Most of the time, I'm on DL or KE, sometimes getting an ATL nonstop but more often (for award or upgrade availability reasons) routing through a gateway like LAX or JFK, once ORD. Fastest way to do it is DL or KE via NRT or ICN, on which the BKK-ATL run can be as short as 21 hours total, departure-to-arrival, a few hours more door-to-door. On SQ or MH, it can be a whole lot longer once you start throwing in long, sometimes overnight, transits. Longest I've done has been about 45 hours door-to-door.

A good 24 hours of peace and quiet, movies, books, decent food and drink, sleep, sudoku, FlightTracker and all that, with no emails / phone calls / BlackBerry can be a really nice respite from everyday life.

Oh, how I wish I could do this on SQ again.
Quote: Really. You don't say!? What a delightful coincidence indeed. We must meet for a cup of tea and biscuits then.
Quote: Oh well. You can take itsaboutthejourney for an afternoon tea but we already have a ballet performance(s) booked for the evening(s).
Is all this before or after bible study?
Quote: How do you East-Coasters get to BKK? Seems like a trek half around the planet.
BOS-ORD-NRT-BKK on UA is my preferred route. During the height of winter I'll sub IAD for ORD to avoid snow problems. I always leave BOS on the first flight (usually 0600) and take the longer layover at ORD, to protect against IRROPs on the first leg. I enjoy the layover at NRT at the UA IFL (or ANA lounge) with a shower and noodle soup.

I like the timing - early up in BOS and a midnight arrival at BKK - so that it's bedtime on arrival. I've tried the Europe routing, and dislike the evening BOS departure with morning BKK arrival as that seems to make jetlag even worse.
Skyteam to BKK for me and CX via HKG to BKK for the bf + RGN mistake fare for the return.

The dinner on 12/30 sounds nice. Can confirm myself and +1 if this is actually happening. Please PM me about the details.
Bangkok for New Year
Quote: That's the whole point!!

Usually fly CX via HKG.
Delta via NRT! I'm trying to figure out how to tag on a short trip to Phuket!
Quote: BOS-ORD-NRT-BKK on UA is my preferred route. During the height of winter I'll sub IAD for ORD to avoid snow problems. I always leave BOS on the first flight (usually 0600) and take the longer layover at ORD, to protect against IRROPs on the first leg. I enjoy the layover at NRT at the UA IFL (or ANA lounge) with a shower and noodle soup.

I like the timing - early up in BOS and a midnight arrival at BKK - so that it's bedtime on arrival. I've tried the Europe routing, and dislike the evening BOS departure with morning BKK arrival as that seems to make jetlag even worse.
I was thinking BOS-CDG-BKK in premium voyageur. Shouldn't be that bad. Or..?Problem with, e.g. BOS-DTW-ICN-BKK is that you arrive late and thus lose a whole day in BKK.
Quote: I was thinking BOS-CDG-BKK in premium voyageur. Shouldn't be that bad. Or..?Problem with, e.g. BOS-DTW-ICN-BKK is that you arrive late and thus lose a whole day in BKK.
From the east coast a TATL routing can make sense, and can easily be done from BOS with only one connection on AF and other carriers.

BOS-NRT-BKK on JL could also work well, if that is an option.
Quote: BOS-NRT-BKK on JL could also work well, if that is an option.
Thought about that, but I'm no OW guy and JL is very expensive most of the time.
It will be interesting to see what will happen to fares when two Middle-Eastern airlines start flying to BOS sometime next year. I wouldn't mind a cheap introductory biz fare BOS-DOH-BKK
Quote: I wouldn't mind a cheap introductory biz fare BOS-DOH-BKK
A cheap introductory business fare would be great

Booking premium economy on carriers like AF can make a lot of sense, as it is often possible to waitlist for a mileage upgrade to C class, but even if an upgrade does not clear one is still guaranteed a relatively comfortable seat.
Quote: A cheap introductory business fare would be great

Booking premium economy on carriers like AF can make a lot of sense, as it is often possible to waitlist for a mileage upgrade to C class, but even if an upgrade does not clear one is still guaranteed a relatively comfortable seat.
Maybe a mini RTW would also be possible, e.g. BOS-CDG-BKK-ICN-JFK-BOS
Quote: Maybe a mini RTW would also be possible, e.g. BOS-CDG-BKK-ICN-JFK-BOS
We're accidentally doing a RTW because that's how award availability worked out. CVG-ORD (AA) HKG (CX) BKK (CX) MUC (TG) FRA (LH) IAD (LH) CVG (UA) - it was kind of tough to cobble awards in F for 2 that worked.
Quote: We're accidentally doing a RTW because that's how award availability worked out. CVG-ORD (AA) HKG (CX) BKK (CX) MUC (TG) FRA (LH) IAD (LH) CVG (UA) - it was kind of tough to cobble awards in F for 2 that worked.
While round trip on CX would have been ideal, it seems you did very well on the return as well I'm a bit jealous of a RTW on those airlines with F awards
Quote: We're accidentally doing a RTW because that's how award availability worked out. CVG-ORD (AA) HKG (CX) BKK (CX) MUC (TG) FRA (LH) IAD (LH) CVG (UA) - it was kind of tough to cobble awards in F for 2 that worked.
How did you cobble 1W and *A awards together?
Quote: How did you cobble 1W and *A awards together?
UA and AA have one way awards - it's on 2 tickets.