Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southern Decadence 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Southern Decadence 2012

Roll call!
Anyone else going?
Please post your dates/hotel, maybe we can organize an informal meet-up with FTers.

I'll be there August 31-Sept 3 (Friday to Monday).
Staying at Hampton Inn Convention Center, which is faaaaar away from the FQ, but gets great reviews (#5 on TA) and was cheap.... ($68/night, booked months ago--prices were/are insane this year!).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: SkyMiles PM, Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
Hurricane Isaac willing, August 30 - September 3 at the new Hyatt French Quarter.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Providing Hurricane isaac doesn't hit I will be there Thurday to Monday at the Roosevelt.

It will suck if it does hit this year. I missed going in 04 due to Katrina, 08 due to Gustav and I went last year but couldn't even use the pool due to the heavy rains.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Continental, US Airways, American,
If Isaac doesn't crash the party, I will be there Aug 30 to Sept 4 at Astor Crowne Plaza....we shall see!
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
For the regular SD attendees if you want a good laugh google "grant storms" He is the minister that tried causing some problems for a few years. I am sure he won't be protesting this year (I would post the link here but the mods might find it to be something that should be on omni instead of here).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:26 pm

Thanks for sharing that, jamesteroh. Is he the bozo that enlists all those young guys to protest on Bourbon Street? I've seen them at SD and at New Year's Eve.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samonyc
Thanks for sharing that, jamesteroh. Is he the bozo that enlists all those young guys to protest on Bourbon Street? I've seen them at SD and at New Year's Eve.
He is one of them. He went as far as to try to get decadence banned. He called the city leaders prostitutes for not banning it and the city business owners who supported it that as well, because they appreciate the revenue it brings into the city. He caused so many problems one year the city put a decibal limit on megaphones.

He is the minister who went on one of those shows like dateline about five years ago complaining about decadence.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA PRO
We pulled the plug on our plans today, since flights are cancelled through Thursday 8/30 now. Rebooked to Disney World instead. Bears vs the mouse. LOL
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I decided not to go either. Flights are cancelled tomorrow and I can't imagine the city being that much fun if it's flooded.

I'm going to LA instead and taking advantage of my two free Hyatt nights at the Andaz in WEHO. Sounds like perfect pool weather
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Our problem: Delta's Isaac policy. No refunds unless the flight is cancelled or "significantly" delayed. And changes are only good if you depart before September 5th, Thursday! They freakin suck.
The other airlines' policies are much more lenient.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:01 pm

I had to bail too, when it was clear Saturday was the first day my Delta flight could be rescheduled. Made more sense to cancel altogether. Now I'll have to find some decadence in New York City instead this weekend.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Cancelled also. Austin should be fun.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA PRO
I'm curious to hear if anyone from out of town is going. The locals we know will be out and about, but not a single person we know is able to get in within a reasonable period of time and all have cancelled.

Do you guys know anyone still going?

Somehow the dusk-to-dawn curfew seems like it'll put a damper on things. haha
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by intub8r
I'm curious to hear if anyone from out of town is going. The locals we know will be out and about, but not a single person we know is able to get in within a reasonable period of time and all have cancelled.

Do you guys know anyone still going?

Somehow the dusk-to-dawn curfew seems like it'll put a damper on things. haha
Who knows if people will even be able to make it out of town if they are flying. Electric is still down at MSY and I read a report that the roof is leaking there and that the landing lights are three feet under water and when the airport opens they will only be able to do flights in and out during daylight hours due to that.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Who knows if people will even be able to make it out of town if they are flying. Electric is still down at MSY and I read a report that the roof is leaking there and that the landing lights are three feet under water and when the airport opens they will only be able to do flights in and out during daylight hours due to that.
I've read that the French Quarter is up and running, my hotel has full power and is fully staffed, the curfew at night has been lifted, the airport begins flights tomorrow morning.
Haven't heard anything about night flight issues. Delta would cancel me before that, since my flight is a 720pm departure ex-MSP. I'm going, since I refuse to let DL keep my hard-earned 25K.... I'll report back and let you know how it is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.