The language of Love

Subscribe
I'm gearing up to take my first international trip next year. I'm learning a second language and began to think: What if you are in a new city in another country and someone catches your eye but you can't communicate?

Has that happened to anyone who post here? I know most phones now have google translate hahahha. Has communication been a problem when mingling in foreign gay establishments?

I'm a single traveler and would like to "break out of my shell" and meet people wherever I go. My biggest fear is to have someone come up to me and start whispering sweet nothings in my ear and I can't understand a word
I enjoy reading a book called "the five love language" but this is not what we are talking about it.

Haha... i'm not gay but i found it very odd in my life.

In Vienna, i met two austrian boys. Although, we couldnt communicate with each other, we always made a joke (by using body language) and were so friendly with each other. We spoke few english.

I have never never felt that in my life cos the atmosphere and enviroment were sooo beautiful and romantic and I was a lot happier with 2 guys. We felt like we were in love with each other. We met them very often as i stayed in Vienna for three days. Then we hugged each other before i left. Oh boys i missed those days and guys! We didnt keep in touch sadly!!!
Quote: I enjoy reading a book called "the five love language" but this is not what we are talking about it.

Haha... i'm not gay but i found it very odd in my life.

In Vienna, i met two austrian boys. Although, we couldnt communicate with each other, we always made a joke (by using body language) and were so friendly with each other. We spoke few english.

I have never never felt that in my life cos the atmosphere and enviroment were sooo beautiful and romantic and I was a lot happier with 2 guys. We felt like we were in love with each other. We met them very often as i stayed in Vienna for three days. Then we hugged each other before i left. Oh boys i missed those days and guys! We didnt keep in touch sadly!!!
Vienna is odd in a gay sense (in comparison to Germany). In Germany, I can hook up with a guy and stay in close contact with them afterwards. In fact, most of my closest friends are German, some of whom I've known for over a decade. Vienna on the other hand, is more of a reserved place. People are extremely polite and cordial, but they are quite private. I've hooked up with a lot of guys there (It's my gay summer paradise), but have only stayed in continued contact with a few. I speak German quite well, so I know it's not a communication issue. It's just what I've observed about the city over the years.

Now, I spend a lot of time in Poland. And there have been a number of guys I've met who neither speak English nor German. So it gets kind of difficult; I only know a few Polish words-- mostly food items. Sometimes the slow speech, coupled with quasi-sign language, works and we can have a go with it. But a couple of times, it got too frustrating and I parted ways (sadly ). But I would never recommend learning a language to hook up with a guy. There are too many slang words when it comes to sex. However, I do recommend learning words relating to surviving. Like food and numbers, at least; and most importantly, learning how to pronounce vowels and consonants (and such). Because not all words are spelled and pronounced the way your native language does it. For example the word for grapes in Dutch is druiven, and in German Trauben. But surprising, they are pronounced quite similar. Same thing with huis (nl) and Haus (de).
Quote: I'm gearing up to take my first international trip next year. I'm learning a second language and began to think: What if you are in a new city in another country and someone catches your eye but you can't communicate?

Has that happened to anyone who post here? I know most phones now have google translate hahahha. Has communication been a problem when mingling in foreign gay establishments?

I'm a single traveler and would like to "break out of my shell" and meet people wherever I go. My biggest fear is to have someone come up to me and start whispering sweet nothings in my ear and I can't understand a word
don't worry... these things have a way of working themselves out. generally people come say hi or something and work out pretty fast if you are compatible on the language front...

the locals will often go to a particular bar because they know it is frequented by foreigners, and they will be able to at least speak a little bit of that foreign language. for example if you go to a white bar in Tokyo, the locals that go there will speak some English/French/German etc. if you went to a Japanese only bar then you wouldnt necessarily expect the other patrons to speak your language.
The language of love is often unspoken.