Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Starwood hotels, and hustler etiquette (just saying no)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic

Hi, I'd like a recommendation for a Starwood hotel in Bangkok that is close to, or convenient to the gay scene.

Also, I'd like some advice on how to quickly and politely "brush off" any hustlers that may be encountered (or even how to spot them and avoid them in the first place).
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: Confirmed
le méridien on surawong is a short walk to silom.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
If you don't find a Starwood hotel you like, let me know. I was just there in April and stayed at two different hotels - one of which was the same hotel that "The Hangover 2" crew stayed at. Both were convenient to the Silom Soi gay district.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: A Few
Le Meridien for sure...very close to all things gay.

I don't find the rent boys in Bangkok to be overly aggressive. Friendly and polite...but if you let them know you're not interested they will leave you alone.

The most aggressive/annoying thing are the touts out on the street trying to get you into the various bars and nightclubs...both gay and straight.

My partner and I always go to The Balcony on Silom Soi 4...nice pub for people watching, good food, and the staff are not allowed to conduct "business" while working. You will not be bothered at all there...except of course from the touts to get you in.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
well this is a new twist on the Bangkok experience.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Thai Airways flies out of LAX, and those points count toward UA or USAir. But it would probably be a longer journey.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Plat
Has this hotel changed ownership? Tried pricing some rooms for next Feb and this is the response I am getting:

There are no Le Méridien hotels in bangkok, TH. However, we did find 3 Starwood hotels in the area. To find another Le Méridien, visit our
Old Aug 4, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Has this hotel changed ownership? Tried pricing some rooms for next Feb and this is the response I am getting:

There are no Le Méridien hotels in bangkok, TH. However, we did find 3 Starwood hotels in the area. To find another Le Méridien, visit our
I found this on the spg website:

Le Méridien Bangkok
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by GuysInCT
I found this on the spg website:

Le Méridien Bangkok
Strange... but thank you! Now just to find a good rate
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Platinum, Regus Gold, Chase Mileage Plus Visa, Turkish Air Elite, US Passport Glob. Entl
Hustler Etiquette

To deal with hustlers in BKK (about 20 persons a day for me on average), I just smile and say sa-wa-di-cap (hello) and mai-aw-cop (no thanks), and keep walking. Never a problem. Be cool and polite.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dobolina
To deal with hustlers in BKK (about 20 persons a day for me on average), I just smile and say sa-wa-di-cap (hello) and mai-aw-cop (no thanks), and keep walking. Never a problem. Be cool and polite.
You tell them you are a COP??
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Would a trip to BKK still be advisable? Departing 11-20-11
Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:50 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by rrz518
Would a trip to BKK still be advisable? Departing 11-20-11
As of right now - BKK in the central city areas (tourist interest with the exception of the Chatuchak Weekend Market which does have some flooding, financial/business area, nightlife area) have no flooding but there doesn't seem to be any reliable source of information (including the government) of flooding potential. However, it is indicated that all efforts will be undertaken to prevent central Bangkok from flooding. People in the flooded areas have become agitated and opening (destroying) some flood gates which could cause flooding in central Bangkok.

FWIW, they've been saying for a month that the flood is coming (I'm originally Thai and we were there in mid-Oct).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.