Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palm Springs what to do

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:16 pm

PSP what to do

In my two years living in Palm Springs my favorite thing to do was long drives. Convertible is great, as is a Hog (Harley Davidson). Here are a couple favorites:

1. San Francisco. This requires a commitment of several days and rewards you handsomely. There is the obvious attraction of ending up in San Francisco. But the journey is wonderful. Drive north through Desert Hot Springs (no freeways) and up the canyon, on the other side is Twentynine Palms, your country's biggest Marine Corps base. From here plot a trip north and west any way you want. My preferred way is the desolate desert roads. The Tehachapi pass through the Sierras is not to be missed. Highway 99 through the San Joaquin valley IS. Fresno is not the centre of the gay universe but I can attest that there is action there. Come home a different way from the way you went.

2. Las Vegas. A New Yorker without a sense of humor should never go to Vegas because you won't enjoy it. But if you can easily imagine yourself getting "into" the absurdity of the place and enjoying the memory, then go, and enjoy the desert drive from Palm Springs. Look at your map and plot a course that avoids freeways as much as possible. If you go through Amboy, CA you've got it right. Zero inhabitants, zero buildings, zero industry, one immaculate, modern, US post office. Hilarious. Scenery utterly beautiful, if you like the desert. If you don't, don't go to Palm Springs in the first place.

San Diego or Los Angeles. Either is 2 hours away and you can certainly find stuff to do. The San Diego drive is more pleasant.

Other things to occupy yourself in Palm Springs: If you're living there, there are lots of associations and organized activities/events/groups for people with the same issue. Gay businesses and residents have done a good job of creating meet 'n greet opportunities. If you end up living there you will not be isolated. If you're just visiting a few days, none of these is available or relevant, but as you look the place over, remember that meeting people is different when it's home. It'll just happen.

I miss the place a lot, as much as I now live in a bustling metropolis with a booming real estate market and a healthier economy. My visit to PSP last year really tugged at my heartstrings. I hope you feel the same.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Just a trip report about my little venture to PSP. From a scenic/beauty standpoint the place is stunning. Very much a charm about the place, almost seems like a Western updated version of Mayberry.

As it turned out my hotel was right next to what was a gay strip that included a couple of bars and cafes. The cafes were quite nice with good food and very reasonable prices (dinner including dessert and a couple of glasses of wine for about $30). There was a cheezy Gaymart clothing store (looked more like a dollar store from the outside) but the clothing was not expensive at all. Unlike Universal Gear in NYC where a pair of no name jeans goes for $200.

As expected, most of the bar scene was older but I've never been a bar fly and really do not plan to become one ever.

I have plans to go back and want to explore some of the area. This trip I mostly sat around the hotel pool where I had the beautiful pool area to myself the entire day (towards the end of the day an older couple ventured out but the woman did not like the hot sun.)

I certainly would much prefer PSP to FLL. It seems that at PSP nothing is much more than a 10 minute drive unlike FLL which is an entanglement of traffic lights. Heck, the airport was 5 minutes to downtown (but downtown was not what most urban residences would think of a downtown). And an outside airport with power outlets, how cool!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, VX, AA
I think you have discovered what I and others have discovered about PS.. it is not the active bar scenes of FL, NY, of SF, although you will see a number of guys drinking as an everyday routine. I bought my house there last year and will be moving full time in May. What I like is the slower pace, the friendliness and laid-back attitude of the people, and the serenity. There are still plenty of things to do, but it does not involve driving in heavy traffic (as you noticed).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: HH Silver
There are some beautiful scenic drives close by as well. Last week I drove to Idyllwild, Coachella Preserve, and Whitewater preserve. 3 very different, but very beautiful areas. Lots of hiking in all 3 places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.