Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 21, 11, 2:43 pm   #1

Best lounges in Washington DC

I will heading down with a bunch of friends by the Bolt Bus to DC for a weekend in October. Any advise on lounges or good bars to hang out. Is JRs (memories from my early and young 1990s in DC) or Cobalt still around. We are more of a G or Therapy crowd.
newyorkgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 11, 2:58 pm   #2

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, BW Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
I will heading down with a bunch of friends by the Bolt Bus to DC for a weekend in October. Any advise on lounges or good bars to hang out. Is JRs (memories from my early and young 1990s in DC) or Cobalt still around. We are more of a G or Therapy crowd.
When I was in DC in January both JR's and Cobalt were still around. I heard Apex closed. I was told Omega is a fun bar. I usually go to JR's. I used to like Jax just a couple doors down from JR's but they are out of business
jamesteroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 11, 6:58 pm   #3

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Well, the DC scene is small, but I am down there all the time and always have fun. Not quite a G or Therapy scene in DC to be found, it's very laid back (which I like).

Cobolt & 30 degrees - still busy on the weekends for dancing, as is the bar downstairs.

Number Nine - is the redone Mova (ex. Halo) and they've done a good job with the place. It's beautiful and has a good cocktail menu. Probably closest to a Therapy type of place.

JRs - still busy. Sunday afternoons (5:00ish), still packed, esp with $2 vodkas.

Apex - recently closed.

Omega - eh, so so, IMO. Your mileage may vary. Absolutely nothing like G or Therapy lol...

Town - dance club, take a taxi...fun times. Nice space. Long drag show on Saturday night, which attracts a lot of people before 12.

Nellies "Sports Bar" - not bad to hang at, around the block from town.

D.I.K Bar- divey-type place upstairs from Dupont Italian Kitchen. Good for a few drinks.

Secrets - full-frontal strip joint...gets crowded at times. interesting novelty from time to time. def take a taxi.
chrisjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 11, 5:37 pm   #4

Programs: UA Plat, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
chrisjur summed it all up pretty well.

If you're looking for loungy, Number 9 is probably your best bet.

JR's and Cobalt are definitely still there, JR's best night is Sunday night for $2 Skyy or Coor Lights.

Town is 18 and over on Friday nights so should be avoided unless you want to relive you're high school prom (though slightly gayer). Saturdays though can be a great time (and are 21+).

Nellies is a decent bet, especially if the weather is nice as they have a large rooftop deck.

Secrets really is out in the sticks. However, they partner with a black car service that, with their discount, is about the same price of a cab. You can generally get the number from their ad that is always on the inside back cover of Metroweekly (local gay rag which, incidentally, can give you a pretty good rundown of what's going on)

If you're on a budget, JR's does an open bar on rail and drafts from 10:45-11:15 on Fridays. Cobalt does free vodka drinks from 11pm-12am, also on Friday's. Number 9 does 2 for 1 on ALL drinks from 5-9 every day of the week. And of course there's JR's $2 Skyy and Coors lights on Sundays.

Number 9, JR's and Cobalt are all relatively close to each other, while Nellies and Town are right next to each but not close to the other three.

Lastly, all-you-can-drink Sunday brunch is pretty much an institution here in DC, and can be found all over the place. Level One, Scion and Masa 14 are all pretty good, but reservations recommended.
coolbeans202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 11, 6:56 pm   #5

Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, Marriott Rewards
Great update! I love DC, and haven't been there in a while. I'll have to check the recommendations out the next time I'm there!
ronp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 11, 1:59 pm   #6

Programs: DL, Marriott, Unlimited Bang-ability
Quote:
What weekend are you considering? Depending on which one, there are some good events coming up.
Old Aug 30, 11, 2:18 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverthief2 View Post
What weekend are you considering? Depending on which one, there are some good events coming up.
Weekend of 10/14. My friend has never been to DC and I have only been back a few time (gay wise) since leaving in the mid 1990s.
newyorkgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 11, 9:56 pm   #8

Programs: DL, Marriott, Unlimited Bang-ability
Quote:
Weekend of 10/14. My friend has never been to DC and I have only been back a few time (gay wise) since leaving in the mid 1990s.
Ok, I don't yet see anything for that weekend but if anything comes up I'll post. In the meantime other posters described the regular places pretty well.
Old Sep 24, 11, 12:50 am   #9

Programs: DL Silver, HH diamond, Midwest Miles (RIP), NWA WP (RIP)
Anything in particular going on this coming weekend (9/30-10/2)?

And what's the best place for Sunday brunch if we're staying at dupont circle?

Thanks!!!
mkenwayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 11, 11:48 am   #10

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenwayx View Post
Our favorite is Firefly - be sure to make a reservation though.
GuysInCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 11, 10:12 am   #11

Programs: UA Plat, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenwayx View Post
Anything in particular going on this coming weekend (9/30-10/2)?

Thanks!!!
Both Miss Adams Morgan and the National HRC Dinner are on Saturday. Tickets to both are probably long since sold out, but the bars should all be pretty packed after the events are over. If you're unfamiliar with Miss Adams Morgan, it's a charity fundraiser where almost everyone dresses up in drag. A lot of people really go balls out for this so there should be some good outfits out and about afterward.

In terms of brunch, Scion on P St. just a block or two west of Dupont Circle has a great brunch, as does Level One on 17th St. (should probably make reservations to either). The Carlyle Hotel on New Hampshire also has a good brunch, though it's been a while since I've been there.
coolbeans202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 11, 11:23 am   #12

Even though tickets for the Miss Adams Morgan Pageant are sold out, you can still see the costumes. Go to the Washington Hilton at about 7 to watch the parade of beauties as they promenade through the lobby before the pageant starts. It's a fun way to start the evening.
DCAKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 13, 10:07 am   #13

Programs: AC*SE100K
Hey all, just wondering how current the information in this thread is...will be heading to DC for fun Feb 28 - March 3. Have only ever been for business.

All I've done so far is book the Blue Duck Tavern for dinner on the 28th, followed by the Columbia Room for cocktails.

Will definitely check out the Sunday brunch suggestions, but any tips for Friday/Saturday night for great food and fun after (or any updates on the above) would be appreciated. (To the extent it's relevant, we're staying at the Fairmont.)

Many thanks!
RevvedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 13, 8:09 pm   #14

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvedUp View Post
Hey all, just wondering how current the information in this thread is...will be heading to DC for fun Feb 28 - March 3. Have only ever been for business.

All I've done so far is book the Blue Duck Tavern for dinner on the 28th, followed by the Columbia Room for cocktails.

Will definitely check out the Sunday brunch suggestions, but any tips for Friday/Saturday night for great food and fun after (or any updates on the above) would be appreciated. (To the extent it's relevant, we're staying at the Fairmont.)

Many thanks!
As far as nightlife goes, the updates that I gave in July '11 still stand. There maybe have been one or two new things that popped up, but, if so, I'm not aware of it.
chrisjur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 4:23 am   #15

Omega Closed

OmegaDC closed in December.
rgronenb is offline   Reply With Quote