Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu & Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Honolulu & Kauai

For all those that just got back from Honolulu, I hope you had a great trip. Those of us that couldn't make it would love a trip report, especially me since I am going to Honolulu in May. I'll be staying at the Waikiki EDITION for four days, so I'd appreciate advice on activites, nightlife, and restaurants. Also, I'll be going to Kauai for four days and staying at the St. Regis Princeville, if anyone has any tips.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 7:41 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by tennreb
For all those that just got back from Honolulu, I hope you had a great trip. Those of us that couldn't make it would love a trip report, especially me since I am going to Honolulu in May. I'll be staying at the Waikiki EDITION for four days, so I'd appreciate advice on activites, nightlife, and restaurants. Also, I'll be going to Kauai for four days and staying at the St. Regis Princeville, if anyone has any tips.
When are you going? Were going to HNL 5/13-18 then LIH 5/18-22 staying at Hyatts for my partner's conference then on to Kauai for a couple of days.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
If you read the Presidents Day Weekend thread, you'll find some useful suggestions. Foady's dinner selections were uniformly excellent. If you can get tickets before they sell out, don't miss Hula's Saturday afternoon catamaran ride.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Don't be disappointed but from what I saw of the St. Regis it's not more 'secluded' than many suburban Florida beach vacations. Yes, the beaches nearby are wide and nice but it's surrounded by condo after condo and for Kauai, densely populated.

I personally prefer Poipu (there is a decent Sheraton and a very nice Grand Hyatt amongst others there) as it's quieter and far more relaxing.

HNL has often been likened to Miami Beach... just in Hawaii. It's full of Japanese tourists and isn't really as relaxing as I'd like...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Vuelos
HNL has often been likened to Miami Beach... just in Hawaii. It's full of Japanese tourists and isn't really as relaxing as I'd like...
Honolulu/Waikiki makes Miami Beach look like a country village. But some people enjoy an urban vacation rather than "relaxing" in the middle of nowhere.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
When are you going? Were going to HNL 5/13-18 then LIH 5/18-22 staying at Hyatts for my partner's conference then on to Kauai for a couple of days.
I'll be there at the same time. I'm sure it's for the same convention.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I'll be there at the same time. I'm sure it's for the same convention.
Well we will have to meet up during that time
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
To the OP: I was on Kauai and Oahu for last weekend's get together. As other posts mentioned, Foady did a great job organizing dinners at Roy's and Side Street Inn in Honolulu. You can also find some interesting Hawaiian cafes in the Kapahulu neighborhood if you explore a little. Ono's Hawaiian Cafe comes to mind and also Hailii's Cafe, which are both on Kapahulu Ave. in Honolulu. On the same street is a bakery called Leonard's Bakery, where they make a lot of Portuguese baked goods like Malasadas and Pao Doce. This place is a Honolulu tradition. Most of the FTers on the trip went sightseeing to the North Shore of Oahu, just to take in some of the rural sights the island of Oahu has to offer. I did not go sightseeing like the others did. Having been born and raised in Honolulu, I mostly did local, neighborhood walks within the city, especially in those neighborhoods I grew up in. In Honolulu, I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which was absolutely fabulous. I heard a lot of positive things about the Edition as well. For nightlife in Honolulu, do go to Hula's if you get the chance. There is also a local bar called Fusion, which is located in Waikiki on Kuhio Avenue.

Regarding Kauai, staying in Princeville, or specifically, in Hanalei can be heaven on earth because of the sheer natural beauty there. I can't speak for the hotels there but the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. As others mentioned, Poipu has excellent hotels. If you are in the main town of Lihue, you can check out a local cafe hangout, which is called Hamura Saimin. On Kauai, you can choose many spots to get away from it all. West of Hanalei, towards Ha'ena and Na Pali are definite places to get away plus many, many other places around the rest of the island.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:15 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by KenCT
If you read the Presidents Day Weekend thread, you'll find some useful suggestions. Foady's dinner selections were uniformly excellent.
The only thing missing from that list is the Like Like Drive-In!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
The only thing missing from that list is the Like Like Drive-In!
Yum! The best plate lunches are served here in my old neighborhood. ^
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by KenCT
Honolulu/Waikiki makes Miami Beach look like a country village. But some people enjoy an urban vacation rather than "relaxing" in the middle of nowhere.
With Waikiki you get urban. With Miami Beach you get attitude.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I have to agree with the Waiks sentiments. I worked in Hawai'i for 3 years and hated going past Ala Moana.... my nerves shrivel up anytime I had to drive on Kalakaua Avenue, or fight with people who want to turn Ala Wai into the Indy 500.

there is a bit of attitude on Waikiki, and its mainly from other tourists. Its just a VERY VERY busy place.

I guess that's why I loved going to the Marriott Wailea & Waikoloa Beach.

(living in Alaska actually has me missing Zippy's chili and L & L... I freaked out when I saw manapua, loco moco, and pork hash on a local menu here!)
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
To the OP: I was on Kauai and Oahu for last weekend's get together. As other posts mentioned, Foady did a great job organizing dinners at Roy's and Side Street Inn in Honolulu. You can also find some interesting Hawaiian cafes in the Kapahulu neighborhood if you explore a little. Ono's Hawaiian Cafe comes to mind and also Hailii's Cafe, which are both on Kapahulu Ave. in Honolulu. On the same street is a bakery called Leonard's Bakery, where they make a lot of Portuguese baked goods like Malasadas and Pao Doce. This place is a Honolulu tradition. Most of the FTers on the trip went sightseeing to the North Shore of Oahu, just to take in some of the rural sights the island of Oahu has to offer. I did not go sightseeing like the others did. Having been born and raised in Honolulu, I mostly did local, neighborhood walks within the city, especially in those neighborhoods I grew up in. In Honolulu, I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which was absolutely fabulous. I heard a lot of positive things about the Edition as well. For nightlife in Honolulu, do go to Hula's if you get the chance. There is also a local bar called Fusion, which is located in Waikiki on Kuhio Avenue.

Regarding Kauai, staying in Princeville, or specifically, in Hanalei can be heaven on earth because of the sheer natural beauty there. I can't speak for the hotels there but the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. As others mentioned, Poipu has excellent hotels. If you are in the main town of Lihue, you can check out a local cafe hangout, which is called Hamura Saimin. On Kauai, you can choose many spots to get away from it all. West of Hanalei, towards Ha'ena and Na Pali are definite places to get away plus many, many other places around the rest of the island.
Great recs. That is very helpful. There are two things I'd really like to do in Honolulu. One is to see the Arizona memorial and the other is to hike Diamondhead. I won't have a car, and I'm staying at the Waikiki EDITION. What's the best way to go about doing those two things?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by tonywestsider

Great recs. That is very helpful. There are two things I'd really like to do in Honolulu. One is to see the Arizona memorial and the other is to hike Diamondhead. I won't have a car, and I'm staying at the Waikiki EDITION. What's the best way to go about doing those two things?
I'm just back, tried out the bus to get to the Arizona memorial for $2.50. took for ever from the holiday inn beachcomber. Most hotels or street vendors will offer private buses out there which depending on price I'd go with

The Arizona is free, other things like the USA Missouri you pay to access, most if the paid trips only give you a couple of hours at the site which is enough for Arizona but not for other things as well

cs
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
tennrob,

Diamond head can be a bit crowded at times - there are plenty other trails that give you a lot more beautiful views of the island. I know you said you won't have a car, but I'd also time the bus to hop a ride to Makapu'u (there's also a lovely beach about a 1/2 mile walk north of there - by the same name)... although my favorite hike (and you need a car) is Ka'ena point.

visit http://www.hawaiitrails.org for info on hiking/walks around Oahu that aren't flooded with tourists.

While some mentioned tours, Discover Hawaii Tours does a really good tour of the Arizona Memorial (they all leave early am for a reason, the # of tourists allowed in is limited) and also a few other points. Circle Island tour is amazing, including the stop at the Pali Lookout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.