Wiki Posts
Search

Up-to-date Costa Rica info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Up-to-date Costa Rica info

Hi

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica with boyf for next Christmas/New Year and have trawled through previous FT threads for info - and am after some up-to-date advice if poss please..

How long is it worth staying in San Jose? Have read mixed reports so am interested in views from other LGBT people who've been, including what the nightlife is like.

We're planning a bit of a tour (by car), ending up in Manuel Antonio for a few days - possibly up to a week. I know MA isn't what it used to be but we'd still like to go. How much can you do from a base in MA and travelling out/inland to see nature/wildlife/whitewater rafting/etc? Also, recommendations for LGBT tour companies that arrange these types of trip? Whitewater rafting with other gay guys appeals more for some reason . Also, what's MA like outside the weekend?

Thanks

LT
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: UA, VX, AA
My personal thoughts on San Jose - "not worth staying". I've been to a couple of the bars there, which are nice, but there is nothing about SJ that I found appealing. For MA, if you stay at Villa Roca, the manager will arrange gay or gay-friendly trips, including whitewater and ziplines. At Villa Roca, you will find a variety of tourists staying there during the week, especially during the season. I've been in both on and off seasons and found it to be friendly. For Manuel Antonio Park, ask for the gay guide - he is great at finding wildlife you would not be able to see with the naked eye.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
I have several close friends in San Jose, have been in CR about 7 times. Unless you know someone in San Jose, don't plan any time there at all. The museum with the pre-columbian art and some good restaurants are all there is. It's also a difficult place to navigate by car and even the locals don't drive around the city after the sun goes down.
Without your specific interests it's hard to make suggestions but definately map out an itinerary in advance and find out how well GPS's work in the areas you want to be in. An address in CR is very likely to be "exit the road at the big tree, go 60 meters and go half way around the blue house until you see the creek". This is really no joke unless you are planning to only hang at the american style resorts on the coast.
On the flip side, definately do go, I'd have been there many more times if my friends all didn't own their own businesses and have limited time to be my personal driver/companion while there.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Hi all,

My BF and I are starting to plan a trip to Costa Rica in September, so we are looking for any advice people who have been there can provide.

Here are the details:
-We want to spend at least a week. Arriving and departing from San Jose (SJO) airport.
-We would like to see the volcano in La Fortuna
-What other places should we see?
-What hotels would you recommend?
-I am open to active activities (zip lines, etc.) but he doesn't like heights. So we are looking for suggestions about recommended activities to do while we are there.
-Any other suggestions or advice you can provide.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.