Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Mexico city - where to stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:39 am
Original Poster

I'll be in Mexico City with my partner later this year (in transit between Costa Rica and home in London) and want a bit of advice on where to stay. We want to be in a good part of town for sightseeing but also where the evening/night life is at and as far as I can make out, Zona Rosa looks like the best option. However, I've read some mixed reports as it doesn't seem to be the place for restaurants so is it just where the bars and clubs are?

If we do go there then hotels like the Four Seasons or the St Regis look like good options as we're happy to pay for a bit of comfort. Any views on this?

Or should we ditch Zona Rosa in favour of a hotel in another area? By the way, we'll be there from Tuesday to Friday so not the busiest weekend days for nightlife - if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
My recommendation is the Sheraton Maria Isabel across from the Zona Rosa, it is an ideal location.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=259

Please also read this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...-st-regis.html
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Silver
If you are into Priceline the Sheraton is the only hotel at its star level and location. It was that way last time I was in Mex...about a year ago. Sheraton is fine for $80. That way when bidding you know what you will get which takes some of the risk out of PL. And if one bid does not work, jsut wait 24 hours and bid again confortable knowing its the only hotel you can get.

Just a thought.

Of course a Four Seasons always beats a Sheraton if money is no object.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
I'm not generally a Four Seasons fan but I like the one in Mexico City and stay there every time I go.

It's pretty cheap by FS standards and generally has some good specials running. It's very gay friendly (in my experience at least) and has an excellent concierge.

They often try to sell you an upgrade to a suite at check-in but the standard rooms are fine. It also has a nice garden which is quite peaceful by MEX standards

have fun. It's a great city to visit
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:50 am

Another vote for Four Seasons. Close to Zona Rosa, Chapultepec Park, a Sanborns nearby if you forgot anything for your trip. Small but really nice swimming pool.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
London_traveller, as you correctly point out Zona Rosa isn't the best place to be for dining but it is where you'll find almost all of the nightlife. I recommend a hotel in Zona Rosa if you guys are planning to go out; in this way you'll be able to walk back to your hotel at the end of the night.

I've never stayed at the Sheraton or the St Regis but both are a very easy walk to Zona Rosa. I've been to MEX twice in the last 90 days and both times I've stayed at Hotel Room Mate Valentina. It's in the heart of the action and <$100/night.

IMO the some of the best dining in Mexico City is in Polanco which is a 10-15 taxi ride from Zona Rosa. There are some top-notch hotels near Polanco, including the W, Intercontinental, and Nikko. If you stay at one of these hotels they'll give you dire warnings about venturing into Zona Rosa but don't be put off.

I recommend eating one meal at Sanborns. Get a Bohemia beer, Sopa de Tortilla, and Carne Asada. The Sopa de Tortilla (Tortilla Soup) is a must-try and worth the visit.

Have fun - you'll enjoy Mexico City.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, OnePass, SkyMiles, SPG
I see someone else already recommended the Room-Mate Valentina. Very cool, great value and in the heart of the Zona Rosa.
Polanco is a more current enclave for the beautiful people, home to the W, JW Marriott, Intercontinental and local brand Camino Real.
These two districts are divided by Avenida Reforma, where the Sheraton, St. Regis and others are. Forget the Sheraton, however; overpriced for its tired setting. Try the new Plaza Suites, part of the Preferred Hotels group.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One of the best B&Bs ever is the Red Tree House in Mexico City. Great location, great people, great breakfasts. One of the most friendly and comfortable places I've ever stayed.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ulf_Coast.html

Very rainbow friendly place, too.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Surprised nobody mentioned Condesa D.F. yet. I stayed there last Memorial Day weekend with my ex. Trendy, hip hotel. Beautiful roofdeck and excellent location.

http://www.condesadf.com/
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The St. Regis Mexico City is superb. Modern, excellent value and also well located.

I think they are still having all sorts of deals - buy one night in a suite, get a second for free, etc.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by DLNYC
Surprised nobody mentioned Condesa D.F. yet. I stayed there last Memorial Day weekend with my ex. Trendy, hip hotel. Beautiful roofdeck and excellent location.

http://www.condesadf.com/
Have not stayed there, but agree the roofdeck bar and groundfloor bar/restaurant are really fun.

Get the Wallpaper Guide to Mexico City before your trip, it has some great places listed in it.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:26 pm

I stayed at The W in Polanco and found it well located for some good restaurants, bars and shopping but nothing specifically gay in Polanco that I know of, so you would need to jump in a taxi or use public transport for other areas.

I really enjoyed Mexico City.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by E3A300

I really enjoyed Mexico City.
+1
Old Mar 3, 2011, 5:22 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I'll be in MEX March 23-28. Anyone else going?

A quick fun story . . .

I used to stay in a private room at a gay hostel in the Zona Rosa. The hostel closed, and I stayed in touch with the owner, so he started renting the living room in his apartment to me for $30 a night! He was having underwear parties on the ground floor and in the basement 3 or 4 days a week, so believe me when I tell you, that, the whole deal was VERY convenient!! Done it MANY, MANY times!!

Anyway, he has moved a few blocks away, but doesn't have a spare room for me! He still has the parties, but, I had to search for a hotel! I'm trying the Casa de la Condesa by Extended Stay Mexico. We'll see how it goes!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
The Room Mate Valentina is a new and excellent choice in the Zona Rosa -- part of a hip Madrid-based chain.

Many jetsetting gay couples staying there over the New Year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.