Search

Florionapolis, Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Florionapolis, Brazil

Anyone been to this city and any adventures to report?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have googled details but need to know first hand details from someone who has already been there.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I am going to Rio for New Years and was planning to add on Florianopolis. Gay Brazilians have told me its a great place to go- tons of natural beauty and plenty of good restaurants/bars. I have a lesbian coworker who just left yesterday for 10 days- I'll let you know what she comes back with.

In the end, we aren't doing Florianopolis because finding decently priced hotels was an issue (and there are hardly any points hotels), so we are doing Punta Del Este instead and staying on points at the Conrad.

My Brazilian coworker who recommended Florianoplis, also said that it can get very rainy in the summer months, so it can be hit or miss, especially in January.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rio is nice but I am skipping it this time due to the sporadic violence that is going on there right now. I am not quite sure you heard about it.
http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mat/2010...-923095266.asp

FLN, is going to be my first time so I am kinda excited but at the same time torn between Salvador and FLN or Refice.

I have been to bothe Sao Paulo and Rio.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Nov 24, 2010 at 7:21 am
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Rio is nice but I am skipping it this time due to the sporadic violence that is going on there right now. I am not quite sure you heard about it.

FLN, is going to be my first time so I am kinda excited but at the same time torn between Salvador and FLN or Refice.

I have been to bothe Sao Paulo and Rio.
Let me first say that I have not, personally, been to FLN, but have many good friends who have been there and a friend's partner who is living there right now.

I have been to Salvador, however, and, let me say that this would be a completely different experience from FLN - and maybe not in a positive way, depending on what you are looking for. Salvador is very interesting from the historical and cultural perspective, but it is not a resort town and you have to be extremely careful traveling everywhere but the central historical district in the evening. If you are interested in exploring the African-influenced culture of Bahia, it's worth a couple of days, but any more than that, IMO, could be a bit much.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrisjur
Let me first say that I have not, personally, been to FLN, but have many good friends who have been there and a friend's partner who is living there right now.

I have been to Salvador, however, and, let me say that this would be a completely different experience from FLN - and maybe not in a positive way, depending on what you are looking for. Salvador is very interesting from the historical and cultural perspective, but it is not a resort town and you have to be extremely careful traveling everywhere but the central historical district in the evening. If you are interested in exploring the African-influenced culture of Bahia, it's worth a couple of days, but any more than that, IMO, could be a bit much.
Can you tell me where is the best location to stay in downtown FLN? I kow that I have to take the bus to the beach anyway and do not plan to stay in a beach resort as all night life is in the downtown core.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Can you tell me where is the best location to stay in downtown FLN? I kow that I have to take the bus to the beach anyway and do not plan to stay in a beach resort as all night life is in the downtown core.
I'll drop my buddy a note and get back to you...
Old Nov 28, 2010, 3:55 pm

Here's some snippets I got back from my friend (an American) and his boyfriend (Brazilian living in FLN).

First, in regards to downtown vs. beach:

"Tell your friend not to stay downtown. He'll want to stay in the Barra area or maybe by the Lagoa. Downtown is a little sketchy and the beach areas have better night life/restaurants."

and as a follow up:

"I would tell your friend to look at Barra do Lagoa. It's walkable to two of the best beaches, centrally located on the island so it is easy to get downtown or to the secluded spots in the south and there are bars/restaurants. Plus it is beautiful.

If they have a lot of money, there is a very swanky beach in the north, but I'm partial to Lagoa area. "

Not a ton to go by...but hopefully it will get you pointed in the right direction...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Chris, will be staying downtown and take the 4 reais bus to the beach. I think there is much more to see downtown.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:34 am

I hope you post a trip report later.

(I tried to plan something 2 years ago and had trouble finding more than a handful of places online and not around Lagoa. So I planned to wing the Floripa portion of the trip once I got to Buenos Aires. It turned out there was rain all week in FLN, so I never made it there. P.S. I remember cyberrentals.com had some apartments available at the time.)
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will be staying at the Sofitel and I know that there are bars and clubs downtown and nothing near the beaches. And I could have picked another hotel but I like to use the gym while I am on holidays and the Sofitel has a good gym.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will report back on the details for other travellers.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:02 am

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Currently on my second trip to Floripa. Staying in condo at Praia Mole. My friends and I thought the city was boring. Praia Inglese is for middle class Argentinian families. Praia Jurere is for beautiful people. Praia Mole is the best. Surfers at south end of the beach and gays at north. Walk further north over the rocky point to Praia Galheta - secluded, quiet and awesomely beautiful beach. For bars and restaurants nearby go south to Lagoa (5 min drive). Busy season starts this weekend. Have fun!!!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The city was nice and clean, but I recommend staying at the Majestic or the Blue Tree both close to the mall. Praia Mole was ok, just another crowded beach. I prefer Cuban beaches. I will go back as I felt safer there then in Rio(never had a problem in Rio). Sofitel was a nice hotel. BTW, I took the executive bus to go to the beach,5 Reais.

Anyone need other infor please PM me.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
I have been to Floripa. Personally much prefer Rio. Pria Mole is the gat beach, but there is nothing else close other than condo's etc.

Stay in town. I stayed at the Sofitel, poor excuse for a Sofitel. OK room, bad service, bad food, they don't even serve fresh coffee - they boil it for hours! Can walk into town from the Sofitel, maybe 15 minutes walk or so, and a cab back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.