Top Tips on Croatia

Old Jun 14, 2010, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Top Tips on Croatia

My bf and I are visiting Croatia next week for 2 weeks. We have chartered a yacht and are sailing from Split down to Dubrovnik via Hvar, Korcula, Starigrad and a few other places.

Altho we want this to be a leisurely trip its always fun to find a little bit of gay-life along the way so if anyone has any top tips on gay-friendly bars, restaurants beaches in that part of the world we would love to hear them. We aren't expecting that much but its always worth a look...

Cheers

H
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Giving this a bump to see if any one has recent experiences. Heading to Dubrovnik, Rovinj and Zagreb in August... thanks
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus 1K MM, IHG Plat, Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Giving this a bump to see if any one has recent experiences. Heading to Dubrovnik, Rovinj and Zagreb in August... thanks
You're in for a treat. Rovinj is absolutely beautiful.

There is a super nice gay beach area (actually its rocky, not sandy) just outside of town. According to this site it has changed a bit since I was there but still sounds great.

http://www.pridesites.com/croatiagay...s/rovinj.shtml

One tip that you might want to think about: Because it's so rocky it can be uncomfortable to lie down so a lot of people brought yoga mats for this purpose. Also think about something to wear on your feet that's a bit more sturdy than flip-flops.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
4 year bump! (I couldn't find another Croatia thread)

I am thinking of either Split or Dubrovnik next month for 3 days. Any reason to pick one over the other? Don't need a gay circuit party seen but if there's anything must-do "gay" I'd be curious to know.

I'm slightly leaning toward Split because it's a direct flight from TXL on 4U. DBV is from SXF on Niki but pretty late in the evening.
What'll probably determine which city is if I can find a J award to open up SPU/DBV-SFO. Looking at this week and next it seems between LH/LX/OS/UA something 1 stop should open up.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
4 year bump! (I couldn't find another Croatia thread)

I am thinking of either Split or Dubrovnik next month for 3 days. Any reason to pick one over the other? Don't need a gay circuit party seen but if there's anything must-do "gay" I'd be curious to know.

I'm slightly leaning toward Split because it's a direct flight from TXL on 4U. DBV is from SXF on Niki but pretty late in the evening.
What'll probably determine which city is if I can find a J award to open up SPU/DBV-SFO. Looking at this week and next it seems between LH/LX/OS/UA something 1 stop should open up.
I don't think either has any gay bars or clubs.
Split generally has a lot more nightlife, though, including some gay friendly/gay attended ones. Both have gay beaches.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Was in both Split and Dubrovnik less than 2 months ago. I didnt check out the gay life in either city, so I cant comment on that. However, I thought that Dubrovnik was a much nicer city than Split, but you cant go wrong with either.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So where are all the gay people in these cities? In the closets?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So where are all the gay people in these cities? In the closets?
Dubrovnik has a population of 42,000 people. Do most towns of 42,000 where you live have their own gay nightlife?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Dubrovnik has a population of 42,000 people. Do most towns of 42,000 where you live have their own gay nightlife?
Well where do they congregate?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Well where do they congregate?
Zagreb?

"They"? Its estimated that 2-4% of the population is primarily same-sex attracted. That would mean 840-1000 men and women, assume half each gender. They're then spread across the age population. As with towns of 40,000 in Canada, the U.S., France, Germany, etc., young gay people often move to larger cities. (Dubrovnik is the 13th largest city in Croatia; and .

Dubrovnik has no real industry other than tourism, so I wouldn't expect young gay people who grow up there to be compelled to stay (or young straight people, for that matter). As I noted, Dubrovnik doesn't have a lot of nightlife - gay or straight -- and most of it is tourist-driven, filled with Ryanair.

In Split, as per my earliest post, there are several gay-friendly bars and gay beaches where LGBT people "congregate." Both Split and Zagreb have a Pride festival annually, which makes sense so they are the two largest cities in the country. Osijek does too (the 4th largest city). Rovinj is considered the gay tourist destination of Croatia, and its close to Rijeka, the 3rd largest city, which has some gay life.

This is just a weird chain. There's no reason to assume anything nefarious or even unusual in towns of 40000 that don't have gay bars, especially towns that are almost exclusively tourist-driven. There are no gay bars in Santorini, either.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:21 pm

Heh not to de-rail the thread but funny I was just talking about Monterey and the 90s/00s here how we used to have a gay bar called The Light House (and across the street a monthly "dykes on bikes" night) when I was in highschool and I think until about 2003 or so.

Now there is nothing.

Monterey County has 430,000 people. Even if you looked at just the immediate mass of cities of Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey, Seaside you have 80,000 people. This doesn't include the 155,000 of Salinas which is 15min away.

Back to the thread....I am leaning towards Split. I shouldn't have a problem finding an award ticket when it gets closer.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Before the apps and hook up sites - we needed to go to bars and cafes, and events to meet people, it was the main source of connecting and networking.

Now that people can sit at home or in their hotels rooms , or on a park bench or a cafe - and check out whose around - its different and this has caused less people going to those business's that catered for our community, so much so some have closed due to lack of patronage.

The Croatian Rivera is a seasonal tourist market, hence the lack of specific venues but plenty of friendly relaxed places for a drink
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA
As of last year, there was absolutely nothing as far as LGBT nightlife in Dubrovnik. I'd be surprised if there was any along the entire coast. Go to Milan, Vienna, Athens or even Belgrade on the way there or back for some nightlife.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:57 am

I had an amazing 3 days in Split. Apps were full of closeted locals or tourists who would be on Grindr yet "can't really get away from [my] friends"...so why are you even on??

With all of that the old fashioned way of having a few drinks and hitting on a flirty waiter paid off.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
As of last year, there was absolutely nothing as far as LGBT nightlife in Dubrovnik. I'd be surprised if there was any along the entire coast. Go to Milan, Vienna, Athens or even Belgrade on the way there or back for some nightlife.
of course Dubrovnik has Lokrum ... not nightlife - but reassuringly gay !

http://www.pridesites.com/croatiagaydreams/gay_beaches/dubrovnik.shtml

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.