Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gay St Barts, where to stay, what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP

Considering St Barts for a few days this summer. Seems very gay friendly on an upscale level (hey, Marc Jabobs and Lorenzo just got married there). Looking at the Christopher Hotel. Seems like a nice place to chill for a few days and price wise on the reasonable side (about $200 for a pool side room low season).

Any input on St. Barts. Any feedback for nightlife (although that is not ultra important to me), possible other hotels (that are gay friendly) and any other information. Also, any advise for either flying from St. Maarten or possibly a ferry service.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
A friend of mine just passed along these tidbits:

If he is SINGLE and looking for night life, he is probably going to the wrong island, particularly in the summer! We used to stay at the christopher hotel, when we first went there. They have refurbished it - and it was nice when we went there last november for dinner.

I could ALSO tell him how green we were after taking the ferry to the island from St. Maarten, the year we missed the WinAir flight, due to delays out of Newark.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
St Barths is great. Very gay friendly and good food and wine but it's expensive and it's not a gay party island by any means (but you shouldn't go to the Caribbean if you're looking for Ibiza style gay nightlife).
I don't know the Christopher Hotel but the Ile de France was very nice but higher in price I think. Have you looked at renting a small villa instead of staying in a hotel?
cheers
Fritz
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: United, US Air, Kimpton, SPG
Any St. Barts Villa recommendations?

Me and partner headed down to St. Barts for Christmas holiday. Any villa recommendations?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club
wimco.com is generally held up the best web-site to book through but I've never used it I'm afraid. Most villas on the island look pretty nice from a distance though!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:21 pm

Don't take the ferry!

Whatever you do.. don't take the ferry. It's a vomit bucket. Best to take WinAir from St Maarten. Or, if you fly into Antigua, book a charter with St Barths Commuter.

I'm not gay myself but I've been to St Barths a few times with a gay friend of mine. He has always found a good scene down there. Not as crazy, perhaps, as Ibiza but more refined. He tends to stay exclusively at villas nowadays but did enjoy Francois Plantation for a time. He was a little more secretive about his nightlife but did share with me that Saline beach was a popular pick-up spot during the day. In fact, I think there's more gay activity down at the end that has a secluded area.

We've started posting a few articles on St Barths. Perhaps they might be of some use.

Last edited by Nomadz; Apr 23, 2011 at 12:39 am
Old May 5, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
so how was the trip last summer?

i am thinking about going with my boyfriend in july and we are kind of concerned we will be bored.

it is in between mykonos and st. barths.... where to go??
Old May 6, 2011, 12:02 pm

I returned from a week stay last month and opted for a 2 BR villa with a pool. Overall, stunning island and it will spoil you against any other Carribbean destination. Once you get over the sticker shock, it becomes more enjoyable. Remember, you're paying for safety and exclusivity.

As far as gay nightlife, there isn't any. JBut just like Paris or any other sophisticated destination, it's totally gay friendly. Basically, it was quite couple oriented and not very late night. I went the week before Easter, and it wasn't too crowded but certainly nothing like Christmas or January.

The summer is going to be dead so bring along a boyfriend or other friends.

The quicker ferry isn't too bad. But the longer route which departs from the French side of St. Maarten is terribly choppy. The ferry prices are also only about a third the cost of the plane and didn't add on very much time actually.

Enjoy.

PS: Loved Bonita overlooking Gustavia harbor.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by andrew10412
so how was the trip last summer?

i am thinking about going with my boyfriend in july and we are kind of concerned we will be bored.

it is in between mykonos and st. barths.... where to go??
St. Barths WILL BE boring in July but it is certainly easier to get to than Mykonos from Denver.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by DC Jay
Me and partner headed down to St. Barts for Christmas holiday. Any villa recommendations?
We rented La Roche Fleurie with St. Barths Properties and despite the surly French house manager, loved the property.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I had looked at St Barts last summer but getting the AA flight and then the ferry to work on a timely basis just did not seem to be working. So I had justed opted for "good ole" San Juan for a few days.

No, if you want throngs of guys and party, party, St Barts does not look like the place. But if you want downtime without some red neck and his fat wife waddling around the hotel pool it seems perfect. I went to Mykonos several years back and while the beaches were beautiful and there a fair number of hot Italian boys running around (some naked at the beach), from a night life standpoint the place was not the greatest. If I had my choice and was going to fly to Europe during the summer, I spend a few days during the week in BCN and then head to Sitges for a long weekend.
Old May 6, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I went to Mykonos several years back and while the beaches were beautiful and there a fair number of hot Italian boys running around (some naked at the beach), from a night life standpoint the place was not the greatest. If I had my choice and was going to fly to Europe during the summer, I spend a few days during the week in BCN and then head to Sitges for a long weekend.
Which month for Mykonos? In July / August, and the shoulder weeks in June/Sept, you can party to 6am every night of the week (I found). I like your BCN suggestion (not a fan of Sitges). We are doing Mykonos for 5 days then Madrid Pride straight after, so the OP could mix things up like that and construct a beach + party itinerary.
Old May 6, 2011, 1:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7
Which month for Mykonos? In July / August, and the shoulder weeks in June/Sept, you can party to 6am every night of the week (I found). I like your BCN suggestion (not a fan of Sitges). We are doing Mykonos for 5 days then Madrid Pride straight after, so the OP could mix things up like that and construct a beach + party itinerary.
In July. From what I remember we stood in the middle of the street (more like a sidewalk) until everyone went home/hooked up. The disco from what I remember was somewhat lacking. However, the beach at Sitges is not much of anything but it seemed like more nightlife there. The beach at Mykonos was much nicer not to mention the hot Italian men walking around with their large Italian pride swinging in the wind.

But the nice thing about Sitges is that you could also spend a few days/nights in BCN. And the men in BCN were very stunning, Brasilian looking.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
In July. From what I remember we stood in the middle of the street (more like a sidewalk) until everyone went home/hooked up. The disco from what I remember was somewhat lacking. However, the beach at Sitges is not much of anything but it seemed like more nightlife there. The beach at Mykonos was much nicer not to mention the hot Italian men walking around with their large Italian pride swinging in the wind.
Not sure if you were at the 2 bars down near the cruisy church, but they were great. The square / Pierro's no longer seems to happen (I miss that place).

And, as usual, everyone naked at the beach should not be naked (when I went)
Old May 6, 2011, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7
Not sure if you were at the 2 bars down near the cruisy church, but they were great. The square / Pierro's no longer seems to happen (I miss that place).

And, as usual, everyone naked at the beach should not be naked (when I went)
That was one strange and nice exception when I was there. Quite a number of guys fit the David Barton Gym tag line "Look Better Naked."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.