Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite döner kebab in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
One of those hectic travel days is again approaching. Will arrive at FRA after a full day of flying and am considering taking the last ICE of the day from Frankfurt main to Berlin.

There seems to be time for a quick snack at or near Frankfurt main station before the ICE departure. Which place nearby would the Doner experts here recommend for a kebab snack?
The second one in Munchener Strasse, on the right hand side of the street as you head down from the train station and come up from the underpass. It's next to an oriental food shop. It's also next to the entrance to one of the more radical "prayer groups" - follow the people looking like extras in a Taliban documentary
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:52 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
The second one in Munchener Strasse, on the right hand side of the street as you head down from the train station and come up from the underpass. It's next to an oriental food shop. It's also next to the entrance to one of the more radical "prayer groups" - follow the people looking like extras in a Taliban documentary
Thanks. Sounds good as for the quality of the skewers...
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:10 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
We just had lunch at a döner stand across the street from the Hbf in Munich (across the street from the Burger King). 3.50 Euros and very tasty!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by mosburger
Two real favourites:

Balli in Berlin-Neukolln on the Sonnenallee: This is not just a basic kebab joint but also has a real charcoal grill and does some mean grilled lamb dishes.
Have visited brilliant-as-ever Balli three times during my ongoing Berlin "Holiday" week (Spent mostly helping redecorate the GF's apartment with frequent furniture shop visits)

First did a take away of their two daily specials for both of us. Great okra with lamb and other veggies and acceptable meat balls. The sauce on the meat balls had a bit of an acquired taste, though. Still well eatable.

Second visit had a doner lunch with rice, bulgur and side salad. Liked everything expect for the too sweet cocktail sauce. The garlic sauce suffered a bit from being overtly sweet as well.

And third time hit the jackpot: The Iskender Kebab that they serve is just perfect. Slightly smoky flavour combined with the soft yoghurt and succulent doner pieces. The portion is huge but not a single bit was left...

And they do serve a nice Turkish and French red by the glass.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
For a durum doner in Berlin I'd recommend Ali Baba on Danziger Str at the Eberswalder U-bahn stop. First had one there in 2006 and I make sure I go there everytime I'm in Berlin,always get a good one and only €3.20. Helps the Prater biergarten is just a short walk away too.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
There is a donor stand right outside the Berlin Hauptbahnhof that was the best I had while there. Then again, it was my first, so perhaps I'm biased. The places near Alexanderplatz weren't nearly as impressive.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:37 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Berlin - advice needed

arriving into TXL at about 22:30, willl jump a cab to the Hyatt at Potsdamerplatz and need some tea....

Guessing that there won't be anywhere near the hotel to get a decent kebab (will there?), can anyone suggest somewhere good on the way, that I'll be able to direct the cabbie to with my O-level German?

thx
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Not sure what routes taxis take from TXL (only ever taken the bus) to Potsdamer Platz but if you go through Moabit there are

Gurun Imbiss. Alt Moabit 44 Tiergarten

Cirali Grill. Alt Moabit 86 Tiergarten

Or you can tell the driver to go a bit south on Potsdamer Str.

Kardesler Grill. Potsdamer Str. 110

Durak. Potsdamer Str. 120

Perhaps a current resident of Berlin can confirm these places are still open. Should be quite an entrance into the Hyatt with kebab in hand.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:12 am

Avrasya on Hauptstraße 75 is hands down the best döner in Erlangen.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Should be quite an entrance into the Hyatt with kebab in hand.
Thanks - I'll get the driver to head via Moabit

And the Hyatt in Hamburg didn't turn a hair last week - I'm a serial offender!

but I do get them wrapped up
Old Sep 18, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: DL SM, Amex Membership Rewards
Frankfurt old Sachsenhausen has some good döners. However, Becks beer ??? you got to be f**king kidding. lol. That's almost as bad piss water as Binding or Henninger beer. Any bavarian beer is better.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by amieuro
Frankfurt old Sachsenhausen has some good döners. However, Becks beer ??? you got to be f**king kidding. lol. That's almost as bad piss water as Binding or Henninger beer. Any bavarian beer is better.
And Franconian beer even better

Favorite döner for me is Marmaris Imbiss (Obere Königstrasse) in Bamberg. Shouting distance to two breweries. And you know you really are too drunk when you have an Efes to wash it down
Old Sep 19, 2012, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Favorite döner for me is Marmaris Imbiss (Obere Königstrasse) in Bamberg.
I will try to to check this out this weekend. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:17 am

any recent suggestions for Mainz?

I'm jonesin' for a doner...
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: A* Gold, OW Sapphire, Thalys Platinum, Accor Gold, member of BahnBonus
When I am attending the JAX conference every year, my friends and I are visiting Sofra for a Döner. Mostly late and after a few beers ...

Sofra Mainz
Hopfengarten 21

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.