Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

Munich to Prague Via Train. How Do I Pre-Purchase tickets with a EURail pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond

Is there any way to pre-purchase reservations for Munich to Prague DIRECT when you have a Germany-Czech Rail pass?

The train I want is showing on the DB website, but does not price with a Rail Pass.

When I try RailEurope.com, they only show a 1 connection at an inconvenient time. When I talked to a representative, she too sees the direct train I want but tells me they are unable to make reservation.

Is my only option to buy tickets at the kiosk and hope that we can find seating together? (Have been told by a friend in Prague that this is a popular train on a Friday.)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:50 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Try a phone call to the English Speaking Call Center :

You may also book your ticket and make seat reservations via our Call Centre. The ticket will be send to you by mail or you may be picked up at any of the ticket vending machines with touch screen at the stations. Timetable information is also available.

Dial + 49 1805 - 996633 from outside Germany (phone charges apply) and speak to our friendly service staff.

Or e-mail to English Center : [email protected]
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
At least not online. What should work is an online reservation for the German portion of the journey. This would give you confidence that you have a seat and it might not be likely that somebody else bought a reservation for the remaining part of the journey. If so, you still can try to change seats during the journey. It should be possible to buy a reservation at the station.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
Didn't read closely enough...UncleDude answered the question!

Last edited by UKCatsHoopsFan; Sep 3, 2008 at 11:06 am Reason: Wasn't paying attention!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Perhaps I didnt read this carefully too
But I believe the OP said they had a Germany-Czech Eurail pass so why would they be "buying" tickets?

Personally unless you are travelling at a very busy period (or wanted a sleeper) I wouldnt bother booking in advance, get your seat at the station and you will be OK.
If you do feel the need to be fully assured of a seat beforehand and in the departure for at least the day before get your hotel concierge to call.

mike
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:47 pm

If you have a German-Czech railpass, of course you already have the ticket. There are two direct Munich-Prague trains a day and two additional connections. All are regional trains in Germany but offer the possibility of reserving seats. The reservations can be obtained at any train station in Europe for 3 Euros a seat; there is no need to use a hotel concierge and certainly no reason to use Raileurope's grossly overpriced reservation service. I doubt these trains would be full, although Fridays may be problematic, as a poster noted. If you don't have time to get the reservation at least one day before departure, just get to the station (I assume you are leaving from Munich) early enough to claim any unreserved seats (reservations are noted above the seats or on the corridor).
Old Sep 5, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Rail Europe Germany Czech Republic

I have just arranged 2 first class saver passes on this link

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa..._saverpass.htm

and it was simple and the passes arrived in 2 days with

no shipping charge

My wife & I are starting rail travel from Hamburg and visiting

Dresden Prague & Berlin then returning to Hamburg
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Pardon me if this is a naive question.

My wife and I want to take the Munich to Prague direct train (@0844) on October 6th. After registering at the Deutsche Bahn site and going through the booking process, I learned that the ticket could NOT be printed at home and could only be mailed. We depart for MUC in 3 weeks.
Our concern in booking how (versus in Munich) is whether or not a train might get full for this post-Wiesn day.

1. Is this a reasonable concern?
2. If I book online at bahn.de, is there any real risk of the tickets not arriving in Chicago in time? If they didn't, would the reservation still be in the bahn.de system and be available to be printed at the Munich Hauptbahnhof?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by KMA26

My wife and I want to take the Munich to Prague direct train (@0844) on October 6th. After registering at the Deutsche Bahn site and going through the booking process, I learned that the ticket could NOT be printed at home and could only be mailed. We depart for MUC in 3 weeks.
Our concern in booking how (versus in Munich) is whether or not a train might get full for this post-Wiesn day.

2. If I book online at bahn.de, is there any real risk of the tickets not arriving in Chicago in time? If they didn't, would the reservation still be in the bahn.de system and be available to be printed at the Munich Hauptbahnhof?

Thanks in advance.
The 8:44 Munich-Prague is not a Deutsche Bahn train but rather one operated by the Vogtlandbahn, under the brand name Alex. That may be why the DB can't sell the tickets on the internet, but they do sell Alex tickets. I can't see any internet possibility of buying Vogtlandbahn tickets, but my experience has been that DB sends tickets through the mail promptly. Just order them as soon as possible.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:42 am

DB dispatches tickets very promptly - but you're at the mercy of the postal system.

This is NOT a train on which reservations are compulsory. Germans, by and large, are still very much in the habit of buying train tickets and jumping on the next train that comes along, and this is not a peak route so I doubt you'll have a problem buying a ticket nearer the time.

I think the risk of the ticket getting lost in the post is far greater than the risk of you not being able to get a seat on that train. The worst that can happen is that they've run out of their quota of reservable seats and you will have to find a seat on the day.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by KMA26

Thanks in advance.
These kind of tickets can be purchased from a US Travel Agent in the States, trust me on this one. You are correct about the DeutschBahn indicating they must send German RailPasses, EuroRail passes, etc. to a physical address, but that's only if you buy the ticket through them.

Find a Travel Agency in your area (I suggest doing a websearch with key words of travel agency, city you live in, and Deutsch Bahn), and you will get the ticket(s) right away then and there. In this case, you will have to purchase a "ALEX" ticket (not a train system through DeutschBahn, but you can buy them through Deutschbahn), because ALEX/EX is the only trains which will run straight from Munich to Prague with no changeovers.

Taking a bunch of my American friends to Prague on Saturday, 29Sept2012 by this method. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.