Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quaint hotel FRA/Mainz/Wiesbaden

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Quaint hotel FRA/Mainz/Wiesbaden

I had planned to visit a friend close to FRA in March. Unfortunately, now it appears she may be on a business trip during that time, and without her and her car, her place is too out-of-the-way.

I'd like something quaint and charming. B&B. Possibly old-world, where I could be comfortable sitting around for an entire day just reading. Close to train since I will not have a car. Do not want a Hilton or Sheraton or Hyatt.

I know a lot of places to the west of Mainz and Wiesbaden, such as Ruedesheim, Eltville, Erbach, etc. But is there anything similar between the FRA airport, hopefully, no further than Wiesbaden?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have many particular recommendations, but staying somewhere close to Mainz Hauptbahnhof or Mainz Römisches Theater (formerley Mainz Süd) is extremely convenient to getting to FRA (airport).

One possibility might be the Favorite Parkhotel Mainz. I haven't been inside, and, though it's a modern building, the setting in a beautiful park is quite nice. probably an easy 10-15 minute walk to the Römisches Theater train station.
http://www.favorite-mainz.de
Old Jan 18, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P, LH FTL, BA
I don't have any direct recommendation for a hotel in Mainz, but if you want you can take a look at this website. Some of the hotels in the list are small, non-chain.

Added: Also, I don't know if you speak any german, but if you click on "priv. accom." you get a list of private rooms, some offer breakfast, let me know if you need help translating.

If you have questions regarding any particular place/location, feel free to ask.

David

Last edited by haubd; Jan 18, 2007 at 12:07 pm Reason: Added more info
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
One possibility might be the Favorite Parkhotel Mainz. I haven't been inside, and, though it's a modern building, the setting in a beautiful park is quite nice.
It's timely that you'd mention the Favorite Parkhotel. Had an unpleasant stay there recently. And it's not quaint, not old world, not really near the train. Just bold. I'd consider it a Hyatt Mainz wanna-be but also-ran.

Requested late checkout on the reservation and in a followup call. Still, 11 a.m. was on the check-in form to be signed. Was told to disregard the form b/c it always prints out for 11 a.m. Later that night, we enquired at the desk as to our new check-out time and were told, no way. 11 a.m. it is, and stays.

Room was in a separate building. With luggage, it was a bit excessive for price paid. By poor design of the tub glass, the shower sprayed all over the bathroom. Bed was comfortable, but separate (two twins pushed together).

The staff primarily appear to fall into one of two categories: either too abrupt and impatient, or inexperienced.

A bottle of mineral water will set you back a cool 8 Euros. Highest I've gotten to experience in Germany.

For the money spent, I do expect a bit more than a bed. Others in the traveling party were also less than pleased, but being proper Germans during Fastnacht, they all said let it go, let's just have fun and make the best of it. And we were always in the group so we didn't have much of a chance to express our displeasure to the house.

If you want luxury or quaint or economically justifiable, find others. This one falls in between them all.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grog
It's timely that you'd mention the Favorite Parkhotel.
It's timely? I mentioned it a year ago.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It looked pleasant from the outside. (I was staying at the very nice youth hostel next door).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:08 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
Bed was comfortable, but separate (two twins pushed together).

This is absoultely normal and standard in German hotels. No reason to complain.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
It's timely? I mentioned it a year ago.
Oops! Your post was Jan 18th and today is only the 20th. Let's just ignore which year!

Originally Posted by Kathrin
This is absoultely normal and standard in German hotels. No reason to complain.
I didn't say it was a reason to complain. The bed remark was only a comment of information for anyone expecting true double beds. (This hotel has a "four-star S" rating. Some people want separate beds, great, but forcing guests to accept two twins pushed together is not an example of providing high-end service. Not necessarily a reason to complain to the hotel, but maybe a reason not to visit it!)

Last edited by Grog; Jan 21, 2008 at 9:37 am
Old Feb 5, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Hotel Hammer (prop: Jurgen Hammer) directly opposite Mainz station. Reserve on hotel de or email
info at hotel-hammer dot com

Genuine German hospitality and see 12 good reasons to stay in Mainz here

Or for a quaint experience, try the Schottenhof, also on hotel de, has a splendid 1940's era elevator
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:06 pm

Oops! Your post was Jan 18th and today is only the 20th. Let's just ignore which year!

I didn't say it was a reason to complain. The bed remark was only a comment of information for anyone expecting true double beds. (This hotel has a "four-star S" rating. Some people want separate beds, great, but forcing guests to accept two twins pushed together is not an example of providing high-end service. Not necessarily a reason to complain to the hotel, but maybe a reason not to visit it!)
I looked at FAVORITE Parkhotel in Michelin. They like this hotel. May be you you were just "unlucky".
I agree with you with the separate beds ... if you asked for a king size or so, pushing two twins together "is not an example of providing high-end service"!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv
Hotel Hammer (prop: Jurgen Hammer) directly opposite Mainz station. Reserve on hotel de or email
info at hotel-hammer dot com

Genuine German hospitality and see 12 good reasons to stay in Mainz here

Or for a quaint experience, try the Schottenhof, also on hotel de, has a splendid 1940's era elevator
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to spend this Sat in Mainz before heading back to the states and this definitely helps.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:47 pm

I spent an overnite Saturday in Mainz before hopping on the 8:10AM to ORD on Sunday. I ended up staying at the Hotel Hammer and was pleased with the staff and property. (Especially since I showed up Sat morning looking for a vacancy since I wasn't comfortable sending my cc number in email).

I would recommend a minimum of 2 days to see Mainz. There were still quite few things I wanted to checkout, but ran out of time on Sat.
Old May 14, 2008, 8:55 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Thanks for Recommendation: Hotel Hammer, Mainz

I'm too jet lagged to search for the thread, but because of recommendations here, we spent the last two days of our German trip in Mainz at the Hotel Hammer. It was a delightful place -- nice rooms, nice breakfast, friendly people, etc. I can highly recommend it.

Mainz was interesting as well -- especially the Chagall windows in St Stephans.

Too bad it is such a beer wasteland (Eisgrub Bräu and Andechs Dunkel at the Biertunnel, notwitstanding)

Last edited by chrissxb; May 15, 2008 at 2:19 am Reason: threads merged by mod - I found the other thread :)
Old May 14, 2008, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Mainz is a pretty little town, but I'd overall have to agree with your beer assessment. That area does a whole doesn't seem to have any inspirational brews, although the brewery in Kirn puts out some interesting stuff. I'm not sure if their brews reach that far, though.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: LH SEN-2013, PC Platinum, HH Silver, MR
Originally Posted by etch5895
Mainz is a pretty little town, but I'd overall have to agree with your beer assessment. That area does a whole doesn't seem to have any inspirational brews, although the brewery in Kirn puts out some interesting stuff. I'm not sure if their brews reach that far, though.
Remember, you visited a wine region!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.