Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin Hotels - some advice please?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Silver, DL
Berlin Hotels - some advice please?

Hi,we're looking to travel to Berlin in April for 4-5 days. Our main requirement is that we're close to Friedrichshain where we'll be hooking up with some friends who live there. Something non-chain like, with a bit of character...min 3star is what we're looking for.
Restaurant suggestions are also welcome!
Old Dec 30, 2008, 2:41 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Your own research came up with?
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:37 am

Go to Google, MAPS, enter "Hotel, Friedrichshain Berlin" and press Search Maps!
Good luck!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

I HAVE done some research but was hoping for for some personal recommendations...similar to what I've done for hotels in Dublin when other FTers have looked for help...

If there's anyone in a charitable mood, I would be very grateful if you could let me know if you've any experience of the following hotels that are kinda within the catchment area we're looking at.
*Mercure Hotel which is near Checkpoint CHarlie
*Johann Hotel on Johanniterstrasse
*Kiez Pension on Jungstrasse
*Upstalbloom Hotel on Gubenerstrasse

Much thanks for any assistance.

USAFAN, noted your location...lucky you! Hope you enjoy the New Year's fireworks on the beach!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Mercure is in Friedrichshain but on the border of Mitte and Kreuzberg. Uptalsboom is in the heart of Friedrichshain. Hotel Johann is in Kreuzberg again. Kiez Pension appears to be a boarding house, however in the heart of Friedrichshain. None of these locations is in the heart of the action but in tram/subway distance. I would - seriously - do it the other way round: Chose a hotel in the heart of the city and take the subway/tram to Friedrichshain. Distance is about 20 minutes, however being in the heart of town might be nicer.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Mercure is in Friedrichshain but on the border of Mitte and Kreuzberg. Uptalsboom is in the heart of Friedrichshain. Hotel Johann is in Kreuzberg again. Kiez Pension appears to be a boarding house, however in the heart of Friedrichshain. None of these locations is in the heart of the action but in tram/subway distance. I would - seriously - do it the other way round: Chose a hotel in the heart of the city and take the subway/tram to Friedrichshain. Distance is about 20 minutes, however being in the heart of town might be nicer.
Wow, thanks for the quick informative reply^ Your suggestion is what I'd also suggested to DH but he'd prefer to stay near our friends...I've a few months to talk him around I guess!
Old Dec 31, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ibdublin
Wow, thanks for the quick informative reply^ Your suggestion is what I'd also suggested to DH but he'd prefer to stay near our friends...I've a few months to talk him around I guess!
What is your budget for the stay? There are plenty of great places in the centre. A reasonable priced place is http://www.parkinn-berlin.de/. Do not expect too much (you cannot expect a lot from the places you mentioned) but this location is on Alexanderplatz and it is one of the few high rising buildings in the centre. Alexanderplatz is at the far end of Unter den Linden Boulevard, however still in walking distance to several of the tourist attractions like the Cathedral, like Hackerscher Markt, Nikolaiviertel.

Most important: It is (a) on the U5, the tube going directly into Friedrichshain and it is maybe three stops into Friedrichshain and it is (b) on the S-Bahn going to the West and further tube lines and trams - perfectly located as a base camp.

As said: It is Holiday Inn style but view and location are great.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
was just in berlin. got the marriott on priceline.com for 70.00 a night plus taxes and fees. very nice hotel and a great deal. go to biddingfortravel.com and go to germany. it will show you how others have bid on berlin hotels. it will also provide a link to priceline. good luck.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Berlin has a huge selction of 5* hotels thus competition is quite tough.
You can often pick up great bargains for these hotels!
(I know this is not what the OP had in mind, but check it out anyway!... btw: search FT for some discount codes )
Old Jan 14, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, AY Gold, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by ibdublin
I lived in Friedrichshain a while. It's a part of Berlin where a lot of tourists stay. But most on low budget. So, there are not many 3*+ hotels. Maybe the NH or Plaza (both at Landsberger Allee, first: chain-) will fit your needs. Both are on the "border" to Prenzlauer Berg.
To explore Friedrichshain on its special way is to stay at a hostel (pn me if you need more details) and join the loved anarcho style of this great place to be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.