Wiki Posts
Search

Tegel to Schoenefeld airports

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Tegel to Schoenefeld airports

what is the best way to get from Tegel to Schoenefeld airports on a Sunday morning?
what is the cheapest way?
what is the quickest way?
thanks and I apologize if this has been asked before.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The quickest way is helicopter. Taxi will take about 30 minutes and should be in the range of 50 Euro. Or
  • take the Bus 109 and change at Bahrhof Charlottenburg Platform 6
  • take the Bus X9 and change at Bahnhof Zoo Platform 5
  • take the Bus TXL and change at Berlin Hauptbahnhof Platform 13
to the S9 to Schönefeld Airport. Will cost you 2,70 Euro (Ticket Berlin ABC), takes 90 minutes. It can be done in 70 minutes with more changes, but if you are not familiar with the Berlin transport system, refrain from doing so. The 109 and the change at Charlottenburg should be the easiest.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The quickest way is helicopter. Taxi will take about 30 minutes and should be in the range of 50 Euro. Or
to the S9 to Schönefeld Airport. Will cost you 2,70 Euro (Ticket Berlin ABC), takes 90 minutes. It can be done in 70 minutes with more changes, but if you are not familiar with the Berlin transport system, refrain from doing so. The 109 and the change at Charlottenburg should be the easiest.
thank you very much for the information.
I wont even ask how much the helicopter costs.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: LH M&M, Best Western GCCI Platinum Member, German Railroads (Deutsche Bahn) Bahn Comfort
At www.bvg.de you can find the homepage of Berlins Public Transport System. Its available in English too. Just enter Tegel Aiport and Schönefeld Airport into the Journey Planner to get a personalized schedule...
Old Apr 6, 2007, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belabiah
At www.bvg.de you can find the homepage of Berlins Public Transport System. Its available in English too. Just enter Tegel Aiport and Schönefeld Airport into the Journey Planner to get a personalized schedule...
And BVG will give you at least 10 different routings involving up to three or four changes on the subway, the S-Bahn, on busses and trams. That was the reason for me to direct the OP to the easiest (not shortest travel time) connection with only one change. The personalized schedule will not be helpful at all...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Rather than the S9, much better to take the airport express train (technically RE7 or RB14). Same ticket, same stations (Zoo or Hauptbahnhof), it's a direct train to Schoenefeld with a lot less stops so you'll shave off 20 min with NO extra hassle. For the correct departure platform, check the yellow departures lists all over the stations. The train runs every 30 mins, for schedule see http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/Reis...tionsplan.html. Note: this won't work for the Charlottenburg transfer described above, no stops there.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a bad idea, allthough timewise the RB takes 30 minutes (-32 to -02) whereas the S9 takes 40 minutes (-21 to -01) from Central station to Schönefeld. You won't safe too much time and it is not worth waiting.

I normally change at Charlottenburg only because it is the smallest station with easy connections and involves the shortest bus ride. And anyhow, both, so-called Airport Express', the RE to Wünsdorf (calling at Schönefeld) and the RE to Senftenberg (calling at Schönefeld) are calling at Charlottenburg, too. So if you appear to be there at -23 or -49, take the RE, otherwise take the S9
Old Apr 11, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
There's no sense in going all the way to Charlottenburg or to Hauptbahnhof with the bus. I would take the TXL bus to nearby Beusselstrasse or the X9 or 109 to Jungfernheide and then take the Ring S-Bahn (S41) CLOCKWISE (the train indicator may say Gesundbrunnen or Storkower Str.) to OSTKREUZ. Change there to the S9 to Schönefeld.

Another option - maybe faster - is the X9/109 to Bahnhof Zoo (the berlin-airport.de website says it's only 19 minutes but I don't believe it) and then the Airport Express regional train to Schönefeld (32 minutes). The disadvantage with this routing is that the Airport Express runs only every half hour, so you could end up cooling your heels at zoo for a long time. The S-Bahns run every few minutes, so they may be somewhat slower (more stations), but you're moving not standing.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billp
There's no sense in going all the way to Charlottenburg or to Hauptbahnhof with the bus. I would take the TXL bus to nearby Beusselstrasse or the X9 or 109 to Jungfernheide and then take the Ring S-Bahn (S41) CLOCKWISE (the train indicator may say Gesundbrunnen or Storkower Str.) to OSTKREUZ. Change there to the S9 to Schönefeld.

Another option - maybe faster - is the X9/109 to Bahnhof Zoo (the berlin-airport.de website says it's only 19 minutes but I don't believe it) and then the Airport Express regional train to Schönefeld (32 minutes). The disadvantage with this routing is that the Airport Express runs only every half hour, so you could end up cooling your heels at zoo for a long time. The S-Bahns run every few minutes, so they may be somewhat slower (more stations), but you're moving not standing.
Excuse me, but have you ever used the FULL Berlin public transit system? Every change takes at least five to twelve minutes. So better avoid extra changes. That is what I said in my original reply and I stick to that, especially if you are not used to the S-Bahns and U-Bahns. And the OP isn't.

Giving the advice of taking the 109 into Zoo shows that you never used at least this connection. The 109 goes all the way up Kurfürstendamm after calling at Charlottenburg station. So you give the advice NOT to get off the slow bus and on the fast rail but stay on that bus for another 15 to 20 minutes?

Taking the TXL in Zoo is the advice other people have given too, so it is old news. 20 minutes is a realistic travel time. But you have to change at Zoo station which can be confusing. And apparently it makes no real sense: You can take the 109 to Charlottenburg and get the very same trains (airport express and S-Bahn) there without being forced into the heart of what used to be West-Berlin.

Sorry, but pls. refrain from giving advice based on websites. There are people on this board, me included, using the system every week. And believe me: There is no connection I have not already tried.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Apr 12, 2007 at 12:30 am
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way: Your connection via Jungfernheide with two changes involved takes 1:12 at the best, the other one with two changes via Beusselstraße 1:15 at the best. Via Charlottenburg it takes 1:18 with only one change.

The theoretically quickest and maybe most convenient and most reliable (but boring) connection is
  • five minutes on the 109 or X9 bus from Tegel Terminal to Jacob-Kaiser-Platz subway station (one stop on the X9, I believe three stops on the 109),
  • change there in comfort to the Subway (U-Bahn) in the direction of Rudow subway station (from there you can already see the aiport),
  • change at Rudow to the X7 feeder-bus which will take you in six minutes directly to the Terminal without any need to walk from the trainstation to the terminal
The only disadvantage: 45 minutes of 1:03 hours is on the subway cross town whereas the S-Bahn or the regional trains give you a (really) scienic ride through the West and the historical East of Berlin with several great sights (BTW: Another disadvantage of the connections via Jungfernheide or Beusselstraße: You won't see anything interesting)
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Miles ‘n More, Thai Royal Orchid Plus
There are people on this board, me included, using the system every week. And believe me: There is no connection I have not already tried.
In fact, I use the S-Bahn and the BVG almost every day (the other days I use my bicycle or - more and more seldom - my car). I've lived in Berlin for 20 years.

I recommended the Ringbahn because the trains really are frequent, so I doubt anyone would have to wait more than about 5 minutes for a train to come (maybe a bit longer since the OP is travelling on Sunday).

I passed on the connection through Zoo with caveats because it did indeed come up when I checked berlin-airport.de to see if the Airport Express goes via Ostkreuz (it doesn't). If it really only takes 19 minutes for the bus from TXL to reach Zoo, it would actually be a very fast connection. But, as you know, that would be a big if....

You're probably right about reducing the number of changes. Although I think that changing to the S9 at Ostkreuz is pretty straightforward, and I don't think you'd have to wait very long.

I've never tried the U-Bahn to Rudow to get to Schönefeld, except just once just after Unification when the whole east part of the transit system was in a shambles. I think that time it took more than an hour to get from the U-Bahn to the airport. Glad to know they have a fast shuttle bus now.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For TXL to SXF:

X9 bus to Zoo Station and then the Airport Express takes _____ minutes.

OR

X9 bus followed by S9 train to SXF takes ____ minutes
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by billp
I passed on the connection through Zoo with caveats because it did indeed come up when I checked berlin-airport.de to see if the Airport Express goes via Ostkreuz (it doesn't). If it really only takes 19 minutes for the bus from TXL to reach Zoo, it would actually be a very fast connection. But, as you know, that would be a big if....
No IF on a sunday morning…

You're probably right about reducing the number of changes. Although I think that changing to the S9 at Ostkreuz is pretty straightforward, and I don't think you'd have to wait very long.
Isn't there construction work going on at Ostkreuz at the moment? BTW there is no possibility to change to S9 direction SXF at Ostkreuz. S9 only stops at Ostkreuz on it's way into city, not on it's way out. So you have to change train at Ostbahnhof or Warschauer Straße.

Greetings
totti
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
For TXL to SXF:

X9 bus to Zoo Station and then the Airport Express takes _____ minutes.

OR

X9 bus followed by S9 train to SXF takes ____ minutes
Wrong question. It all and only depends on your arrival at Bahnhof Zoo.

The Airport Express leaves -23 and -55 minutes past the hour from Bahnhof Zoo and an optimal connection from TXL takes a totel of 1:09 or 1:13 (35 minutes on the train).

The S-Bahn leaves at -55, -15 and -35 and total travel time is 1:15 (46 minutes on the S-Bahn).

But you are fully free to play around on http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/Bvg/Start
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:20 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM
Reviving this old thread because I need to know ASAP whether this intinerary is realistic:

SU 113
dept SVO 08:10 arr SXF 09:00

connecting to

DL 79
dept TXL 11:55 arr JFK 16:00

This would be on a Friday during the holiday season. Passenger will not be checking luggage, does have SkyTeam elite status but does not have an EU passport so may get stuck in the passport line at SXF.

Is this doable? It's the cheapest way out of Russia on a SkyTeam carrier during the holiday season if it works.

If so, is a taxi worth the expense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.