Driving safely / the German Autobahn

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving safely / the German Autobahn

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, Miles and More
I have never actually encountered a 'ghostrider' in my years of travel to Germany - but then I never inquired as to the causes of a couple of outstanding wrecks in the opposite lanes that I passed. I had extraordinary luck for about 3 years in that all of the automobile accidents I encountered had all occurred on the other side of the dividing barrier - until March 2005.

I had spent the day (a sunday) at Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein and then wandered north towards Augsburg and the A8. When I left the south it was a clear sunny day, but as I entered the A8 towards Munich, it began to snow - big wet fluffy flakes. Being Canadian I am somewhat used to this sort of weather so I didn't think much of it. At Kreutz Neufahrn I could see that traffic was moving slowly northwards on the A9 but in my hubris I decided to exit the A8 and join the A9. At that exact moment, the traffic management bulletin cut into the CD I was listening to and basically said - if you are anywhere in Bavaria, avoid the A9 as it was backed up from Ingolstadt Sud to - you guessed it - Kreutz Neufahrn. By that time I was committed and could not get off to take a detour (U). 64 Km of 'Gestoppen'! 5 hours later I made it to Ingolstadt and from there it was clear sailing.

Apparently the road had iced over ahead of the traffic maintenance crews getting out - so there was a crust of ice combined with one or more impatient and fast drivers with the result that just near Ingolstadt Sud, there had been a tremendous pileup - too many cars to count plus a couple of large transport trucks. It was a big enough wreck to make the news that night.

Important safety tip. Germany simply doesn't experience the type of winter driving conditions which pertain in Canada and thus their highway maintenance crews are not as efficient at getting out ahead of the weather and sanding or salting the roads. They do sort it out after the snow has fallen, but a major snow storm seems to take them by surprise. If you are travelling in southern Germany after Christmas and up to March you can experience icy driving conditions.

My rule of thumb is this - if you leave a major city on a Friday - pack a sandwhich and bottle of water. If you leave during inclement weather, do the same. There are plenty of rest stops, but if there is a stau or accident stoppage, those rest stops will fill up very quickly. Likewise if you are returning to a major city on a Sunday - be prepared for frequent staus.

cheers MWAC

Last edited by miserablewithAC; Jan 16, 2007 at 7:56 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Two years of driving in Deutschland and I never experienced a ghostrider, either. I would think it would be difficult to get on the wrong way, but I always stayed alert when I drove there, so maybe that has something to do with it. My stau avoidance technique? Deutsche Bahn!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:53 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
miserablewithAC, you are right once in a while things like that happen and traffic jams occur...

Maybe it's because it is different than in the US and not every school and public institution closes down because of two snow flakes? Not everybody has a gas wasting and for 99,9% of all occasions useless SUV like in "other" places of the world? There is just one situation some SUVs have advantages... If there is a snow storm...
Furthermore authorities in Germany are more sensitive about the environment and don't use salt if it is not really neccessary. Trucks I guess are the biggest problems because when it is icy they can hardly do any hills and get stuck. These stuck trucks mess up all the highways.

In my opinion if it not snowing too much, it's better to just let the snow sit on the streets. If they take it away there is always a thin ice tier left behind which really makes the street dangerous. A few inches of snow never hurt anybody and people out there who don't know how to drive in rain and snow, please do me a favor and just stay home... There is really no need to slow down to walking speed if it is just snowing a little bit...

Of course, take care and save driving to all of you, especially in winter...
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by miserablewithAC
Some more observations:

Very few exits have advance signs indicating that they are ahead a few kilometres - usually only the kreutz (where two Autobahns cross), or major airports have signs which indicate the approaching exit. Instead it is more common to post large overhead signs with the mileage (in kms) to the next three city/exits. Exits are numbered but not indicated on the mileage signs - usually only numbered right at the exit itself. Read your map ahead of time.

Are there any cars in *without* navigation system in Germany?^
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by miserablewithAC
Very few exits have advance signs indicating that they are ahead a few kilometres - usually only the kreutz (where two Autobahns cross), or major airports have signs which indicate the approaching exit. Instead it is more common to post large overhead signs with the mileage (in kms) to the next three city/exits. Exits are numbered but not indicated on the mileage signs - usually only numbered right at the exit itself. Read your map ahead of time.
All exits are signaled in the exact same way (German love for rules and conventions): sign with exit number and name 1km from exit, sign with localities reachable from exit, as well as name of next exit at 500m from exit, sign to the side with three diagonal bars at 300m, sign with two diagonal bars at 200m, sign with one diagonal bar at 100m (and I believe this one repeats the exit number), sign with names of localities at beginning of deceleration lane, and arrow with the word "Ausfahrt" right at exit. 1km should be plenty of warning when approaching an exit...

Junctions & "triangles" have an additional sign 2km out telling you the name of the junction and the type (ie, junction or triangle).
Old Jan 17, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, Miles and More
Originally Posted by chtiet
All exits are signaled in the exact same way (German love for rules and conventions): sign with exit number and name 1km from exit, sign with localities reachable from exit, as well as name of next exit at 500m from exit, sign to the side with three diagonal bars at 300m, sign with two diagonal bars at 200m, sign with one diagonal bar at 100m (and I believe this one repeats the exit number), sign with names of localities at beginning of deceleration lane, and arrow with the word "Ausfahrt" right at exit. 1km should be plenty of warning when approaching an exit...

Junctions & "triangles" have an additional sign 2km out telling you the name of the junction and the type (ie, junction or triangle).
Indeed you are correct. I was trying to compare (but very badly phrased) the method of indicating exits on the autobahn vice that which pertains in Canada and many US States. I actually like the setup on the autobahn better, but it does take a little while to get used to.

I much prefer driving on the autobahn system to any dual carriageway in Canada or the US (and not simply because of the potential for high speed). I find that they are generally better engineered and much better maintained. Drivers follow the rules of the road, and that predictability must surely contribute to a lower incidence of stress / road rage.

cheers, MWAC
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by szg
by car in 1,5 hours.
Hm, I guess I won't let you drive.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:01 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by flysurfer
No speed limit on German highways !! ^
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by szg
No speed limit on German highways !! ^
Actually, there are.
But you are probably driving to fast to spot them.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flysurfer
90 minutes for 160 Km? That's only about 100 miles.

Even in the States that's not real fast driving. I would expect to make it faster than that in Germany.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
please welcome some posts who just got in here from communitybuzz!

regards

chrissxb
co-moderator
germany forum
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH Sen, SPG Platinium, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by monitor
90 minutes for 160 Km? That's only about 100 miles.

Even in the States that's not real fast driving. I would expect to make it faster than that in Germany.
Could be done in 60 Min or less. It's about the speed limit on that part of the Autobahn and the daytime/traffic.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles, Priority Club, AAdvantage, SAGA, JetBlue, Continental
Read this post or you'll die.....

A quite humorous yet accurate summary in "Der Spiegel":

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...414677,00.html
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Can someone tell me what it means when a car passes you on the Autobahn and then turns on what seems to be a third brake light? It's a brighter brake light, either below or in the middle of the other brake lights.

Almost every car that passed me did this. I was driving a Volvo, is that why? I was going plenty fast (130-145 kmh) so they weren't trying to tell me to speed up. Also it was on an empty three lane highway, and I was always in the right most lane. I actually pulled over and checked to see if my tail light was out. It wasn't. What were these drivers trying to tell me???
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Can someone tell me what it means when a car passes you on the Autobahn and then turns on what seems to be a third brake light? It's a brighter brake light, either below or in the middle of the other brake lights.

Almost every car that passed me did this. I was driving a Volvo, is that why? I was going plenty fast (130-145 kmh) so they weren't trying to tell me to speed up. Also it was on an empty three lane highway, and I was always in the right most lane. I actually pulled over and checked to see if my tail light was out. It wasn't. What were these drivers trying to tell me???
Perhaps it was the third brake light? Really don´t know what else it should be. Could you perhaps send a picture and mark what light you mean? Never heared you do something Special if you pass a Volvo...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.