Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Speed Ticket in Germany (change address)

Speed Ticket in Germany (change address)

Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by offerendum
Mostly single cities are responsible for fines and the Bundesgrenzschutz isn´t responsible for it.
It's been called the Bundespolizei since 2005
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by .flyer
It's been called the Bundespolizei since 2005
Yes, but old habits for reference die hard even when it's in mind.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, but old habits for reference die hard even when it's in mind.
Indeed
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nobody is taken into custody at the border for an unpaid ticket in Europe. The hertz claim will have some references you can use to locate the authority that enquired with Hertz. You can then contact them directly.
Not for a 25€ speeding ticket but for bigger charges definitely and the German authorities will not take you in custody for speeding in Switzerland or France.

It is almost the same procedure as for foreign people speeding on the autobahn and getting caught right away. You either pay on the spot your fine or the police will hold you until you payor someone else pays for you.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Are you planning to go back Munich? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. As Flying Lawyer indicated, just let statute of limitations run out.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
Not for a 25€ speeding ticket but for bigger charges definitely and the German authorities will not take you in custody for speeding in Switzerland or France.

It is almost the same procedure as for foreign people speeding on the autobahn and getting caught right away. You either pay on the spot your fine or the police will hold you until you payor someone else pays for you.
For crimes yes. As flyinglawyer said without your adress they are not even able to interrupt the prescription period.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA
Living in US had speeding incident in Germany once with rental car (noticed a flash). Hertz charged some money on the rental, when i inquired it was for providing my contact details to the authorities. I never heard from them, never received a request to pay anything. Maybe different when you live in Schengen/UK, no idea.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by te36
Living in US had speeding incident in Germany once with rental car (noticed a flash). Hertz charged some money on the rental, when i inquired it was for providing my contact details to the authorities. I never heard from them, never received a request to pay anything. Maybe different when you live in Schengen/UK, no idea.
Depends on how much. If it is a low amount fine, not worth their time trying to pursue a driver outside of Europe.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seawolf
Depends on how much. If it is a low amount fine, not worth their time trying to pursue a driver outside of Europe.
Correct. OP should move on (or pay if so inclined if authorities ever catch up.)
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Final experience sharing

Thanks a lot everyone for your comments.
There's two ways to solve the issue by myself.
1) Contact to Hertz office (not local in Germany, but the local in your home country...the service of Germany offices is horrible) --> then Hertz will provide AKTENZ # (file #) --> With the information, you can direct contact with police station in Germany
--> They would provide you with GiroCode or website to close the files or pay the fines
2) Wait, Wait, and Wait --> Germany police station usually close the files after 3 years (with the some luck, they may close the files in 6 months around)
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:30 pm

I received a ticket coming into the FRA airport (watch out for the cameras and the speed limit decreases quickly). Sixt sent me a letter enclosing a copy of the camera ticket anlet me know that I had received one and charged my extra to provide my information to the German Police from the rental contract. I assume at that point they provided the information as stated in the letter, but I have not heard anything since, and it was in August 2015. I have been back to Germany since, rented cars from Sixt, and no further problems. If I ever did get the ticket, I would probably just pay it for the sake of peace of mind.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:35 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If the German police didn't contact you the case is probably closed.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coplatsat
I received a ticket coming into the FRA airport (watch out for the cameras and the speed limit decreases quickly). Sixt sent me a letter enclosing a copy of the camera ticket anlet me know that I had received one and charged my extra to provide my information to the German Police from the rental contract. I assume at that point they provided the information as stated in the letter, but I have not heard anything since, and it was in August 2015. I have been back to Germany since, rented cars from Sixt, and no further problems. If I ever did get the ticket, I would probably just pay it for the sake of peace of mind.
You are very lucky you wasn´t arrested with handcuffs, send to the debitors´ prison and banned from Germany for at least 20 years. OK, had to do my little fun.

Sure Sixt didn´t charge you the fine? With low-level violations this is not uncommon. When it was in August 2015 the file is nevertheless closed.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by offerendum
You are very lucky you wasn´t arrested with handcuffs, send to the debitors´ prison and banned from Germany for at least 20 years. OK, had to do my little fun.

Sure Sixt didn´t charge you the fine? With low-level violations this is not uncommon. When it was in August 2015 the file is nevertheless closed.
IME Sixt Germany will not pay the fine on renter behalf because they are not liable the moment they provide renter’s name whether it is a speeding or parking ticket. Essentially there is no reason for them to pay and every incentive to provide a name and hit renter with the admin fee while doing so.

Holistically they are also not in the position to determine guilt of renter and paying the fine and charging renter possibly leaves them opens to a chargeback leaving them paying a fine in which they were not responsible for to begin with.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100% correct and in Germany owner of a car is never responsible for fines (but under circumstances for costs which can be higher than the fine). It´s different in other countries. I thought it could be possible they pay it in Germany as a service but if I think about it again it´s unrealistic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.