Early morning TXL departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I have a 6am departure on KLM (route TXL-AMS-LAX). KLM.com says to arrive at the airport 3 hours early, but from what I can tell it's a small airport. We are in business class but am not sure the lounge will even be open that early.

Is 3 hours really necessary for this departure? I am not sure if I clear immigration here or in AMS when leaving the EU, which I'm sure makes a difference, but even an extra 30 minutes sleep (checking out of the hotel at 0300 instead of arriving at TXL at 0300) would be welcome prior to a long travel day.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will go through outbound passport control when leaving Schengen, so in AMS.
I would probably arrive at the airport around 4:30-4:45.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by soitgoes
You will go through outbound passport control when leaving Schengen, so in AMS.
I would probably arrive at the airport around 4:30-4:45.
Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
This might be a little late but we had a similar flight recently on KLM doing TXL-AMS-IAH. We also got there 3 hours in advance which was a mistake. The check-in staff (all 2 of them) didn't even arrive till 4:00 am. All the passengers were just waiting around cluelessly before then. The check in process involved using the automatic kiosks with the staff available to help people with problems.

Once past security, the only things available were a duty free shop that was just opening and a small coffee kiosk with a long line. We ended up drinking an espresso from a vending machine!

We have the same flight coming up in a few days and plan on arriving the airport at 4:00 am.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
45-60 min before departure is enough if you have luggage to check. Checkin for all KLM flights in Europe close 40 min before departure. Without luggage and prior online checkin you can show up 10mins before boarding begins to go thru security. 3 hours earlier is absurd for TXL.
MHG likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Glad to have seen this thread.

In about 2 weeks, I leave TXL at 6:35 am (TXL-CDG-MSP-OKC) so perhaps the sticking point will be CDG where I have 1 hour 40 minutes to connect from AF to DL.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: most of them
definitely no reason to get there very early. I had a flight on Brussels Airlines that left at 6:50. I was in "business" class. So check in was fast but there was a pretty big line for economy (don't know if that was due to the Air Berlin situation or not as it was mid-Sept). I didn't realize that once I went through security I was basically stuck at the gate with nothing to do. It is a very small airport.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 1:33 am

Yesterday I did OKC-ATL-CDG-TXL.

We had a medical on arrival at CDG which made going from 2E to 2F quickly was a challenge. My concern was not having a unified ticket (DL D1, AF Y).

When I leave TXL later this week, is it the case that one does both security and passport at TXL but then skip both - or at least passport control - when connecting at CDG (for MSP)?

In terms of checking luggage at TXL, I will have Sky Priority check-in which at least gets me out of the long economy line.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Xeno
When I leave TXL later this week, is it the case that one does both security and passport at TXL but then skip both - or at least passport control - when connecting at CDG (for MSP)?
There is normally no passport control on TXL-CDG (there is a tiny chance that France may impose an extraordinary passport control on the inbound flight). You go through security at TXL and you should disembark inside the secure area of CDG, you then have to go through proper passport control to exit the Schengen Area before flying to the US, plus the extra "security" for US-bound flights at the gate.
Xeno likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xeno
Glad to have seen this thread.

In about 2 weeks, I leave TXL at 6:35 am (TXL-CDG-MSP-OKC) so perhaps the sticking point will be CDG where I have 1 hour 40 minutes to connect from AF to DL.
If you are leaving TXL at 0635, I would not get there before 0530. The AF lounge is nothing special, so I'd just go straight to the gate at about 0540, by which time most people would have passed through security already.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:12 am

Thanks. I did not even check to see if AF had a lounge at such a small airport.

I need a little extra time due to interlining luggage. There might also be minor problems with my EBP on DL CDG-USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.