Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

What to do in Munich?

What to do in Munich?

Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

What to do in Munich?

Im flying from Riyadh to Toronto with a 6 hour layover in Munich. Land at 6am and wondering what would be the best way to see the city on a budget in that time frame. Any advice would be appriciated.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Whether traveling by car, express buss, or by public transport, you're looking at about 45-60 minutes from MUC into the city center. The time depends on road traffic, or if you time your train right, as the S-Bahn runs every 20 minutes and the bus every 15. (I've not taken the Lufthansa Express bus myself, but have seen it advertised)

So realistically you are looking at potentially 2.5-3 hours in the city itself.

Also, if you are arriving on a Sunday, that could change what you could potentially do (particularly if you want to do any shopping in the city center).

Walking in the city center is easy. You could route to Karlsplatz and walk the pedestrianized area and see/visit Marienplatz, the Rathaus (New and old), visit the Frauenkirche. Viktualienmarkt is lovely for a bite to eat and in the neighborhood. From this area it's not too difficult to pop back onto public transport or a stop for the Lufthansa bus.

Just a handful of suggestions from someone who's only been there a few times!
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I would reduce the time in the city to 2 hours as there is immigration, on a working day traffic is often heavy in the moning and you should be back at the airport at least 1 hour before your flight leaves, I would even need more time as Im not the high-risk type.

In this time I would do what joppiesaus suggested and simply enjoy the flair of Munich. Consider that many monuments etc. dont open before 10 am. If you are interested in art Asamkirche is not to be missed.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Deftech
Im flying from Riyadh to Toronto with a 6 hour layover in Munich. Land at 6am and wondering what would be the best way to see the city on a budget in that time frame. Any advice would be appriciated.
The destinations Karlsplatz, Marienplatz, Rathaus, Frauenkirche mentioned by joppiesaus are cool but if you would like to miss anything, you should visit BMW Museum.

Visit this link https://www.tripadvisor.in/Attractio...a_Bavaria.html and you may be convinced why I mentioned it here.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
you should visit BMW Museum.

Visit this link https://www.tripadvisor.in/Attractio...a_Bavaria.html and you may be convinced why I mentioned it here.
All fine, but it opens at 10am. So if OP arrives at 6 am plane leaves at 12 am. Very short time and what to do before?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies

I was mistaken and the flight doesn't leave until 2:55 so even more time. Arriving tomorrow morning so traffic will be a challenge. They all sound good but the BMW musium sounds very interesting. Thanks again.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:29 pm

S Bahn to Marientplaz, 40 minutes, walk around there a bit, then just out the Marienplatz station and under the stone arches is Viktualmarket, much more than a farmers market, lots of permanent shops along its pedestrian street. Have a great German meal and try the local beer at Wirstaus Ayingers just a couple blocks away on a side street, where you will be expected to share a table and get to talk to locals, take a peek at the famous Hofbrauhaus just catty corner. If you want to get suited up in some quality authentic Bavarian garb or just look at feathered hats and dirndls, stop in the shop next to the Platzl Hotel, which you pass on the way.

Last edited by Tizzette; Aug 23, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.