Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by wolf72
Noted. So, we always must get the ticket stamped before boarding the train at any time.
True for the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn, different for busses and tramways. There simply is not chance to stamp the ticket in the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn.

P.S.: And this is true for other cities with real Subway system (which Cologne does not have) and all S-Bahn trains nationwide.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
True for the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn, different for busses and tramways. There simply is not chance to stamp the ticket in the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn.

P.S.: And this is true for other cities with real Subway system (which Cologne does not have) and all S-Bahn trains nationwide.
Understood. Thank you very much for explaining. I didn't know all this prior to you guys explaining.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: LH M+M
That's why I prefer a day-pass - just screw all you "Verbund" clowns with different rules for everything
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by wolf72

Motel One München-City-West

Hope this is a convient hotel to get to the allianz arena.
It might take around half an hour to reach to allianz arena from Motel One.

U-Bahm option would be good to reach to Allianz Arean.

Below is the article which provides information about reaching the Allianz Arena by U-Bahn.

http://europeforvisitors.com/munich/...directions.htm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Location aside, any thoughts on the quality of the hard product at Le Meridien vs. Hilton Park?

Any differences in likelihood of suite upgrades?

thanks in advance
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Both properties are OKish on the hard product, I would consider them nearly equal. The view from the Hilton is better, but you excluded location comments...
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Both properties are OKish on the hard product, I would consider them nearly equal. The view from the Hilton is better, but you excluded location comments...
Hi;

Thanks for the comments, location as well. I would have thought people would have said Le Meridien is better/worse because of it's location near the train station. I assume the Hilton will benefit by it's location by English Park, but take an extra 10-15 minutes to get to my activities other than walking in the park.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The surroundings of the Le Meridien are pretty crappy. The tram and bus line in front of the Hilton park will take you anywhere interesting in 10 minutes.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Both are functional properties that provide a clean bed in a rectangular room. Neither is a destination property and I have zero desire to stay at either one again. For the same money you can do much much better in Munich.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Both are functional properties that provide a clean bed in a rectangular room. Neither is a destination property and I have zero desire to stay at either one again. For the same money you can do much much better in Munich.
I'd be all open to hearing about options at the same cost, but not sure it's possible as these are award stays at chains where I have top status (so free breakfast, likely upgrades, etc.).

If you have suggestions at 150 euros/night in May, I'm interested.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:03 am

If you want a room with breakfast downtown, stay here: Hotel Eder - Hotel
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by beachfan
I'd be all open to hearing about options at the same cost, but not sure it's possible as these are award stays at chains where I have top status (so free breakfast, likely upgrades, etc.).

At this price point it’s not easy. What about Westin Grand? Not a perfect location but would rate it over Hilton and Le Meridien. I normally stay at the Charles but it comes with another price tag. If I had to choose one location I would stay at Le Meridien.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by beachfan

Try Hotel and der Oper or Platz Hotel for your dates. Excellent location and good value for money in my opinion. Between the two I prefer the Hotel and der Oper.

Originally Posted by offerendum

At this price point it’s not easy. What about Westin Grand? Not a perfect location but would rate it over Hilton and Le Meridien. I normally stay at the Charles but it comes with another price tag. If I had to choose one location I would stay at Le Meridien.
Agree.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:58 pm

So based on location, two votes for Meridien and one for Hilton Park.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:47 pm

As oliver2002 mentioned, the Meridien is located in a somewhat 'rough and tumble' Hauptbahnhof zone; however its easy access from the main station is without a doubt. The Park Hilton (perhaps my favourite hotel in Minga) is a much nicer place to stay - not only for the running creek next to it and the green views from the balcony, but also because most of the staff are very nice, besides, the Englische Garten is just a stone's throw away and is a delight to visit, especially during the summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.