Search

18 hrs in Frankfurt Airport - Aviation Enthusiast Activities

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity
18 hrs in Frankfurt Airport - Aviation Enthusiast Activities

Hi all,

my partner & I will be arriving in Frankfurt the night before we leave Europe for home. We will be leaving on a Thursday evening at 22:00. We are staying in a hotel relatively close to the airport.

On Thursday morning we will probably head into the Altstadt in Frankfurt for a while.

We are both aviation enthusiasts. My partner loves the 747 and my favourite plane is the A340. Unfortunately, both are heading for extinction

We are looking for any suggestions of aviation enthusiast related activities which we might be able to do while we wait for our flight home.

We are already booked on the Airport XXL tour on the previous Saturday as well as a 1 hour tour on the Thursday afternoon.

What is the planespotting like at Frankfurt Airport? Are there any other aviation related activities which would be possible for us to participate in?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
As well as the tour which you have booked, Frankfurt Airport has an official visitors terrace which you can access from Terminal 2:
https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...isitorsterrace

You can also take a flight in a simulator from ProFlight which are from Lufthansa Aviation Training
https://www.proflight.com/en/standorte/frankfurt.php

In terms of other spotting, this guide is helpful:
http://www.frankfurt-aviation-friend...g-locations-2/

Spotting position 1/2 is accessible via public transport from the S-bahn station Zeppelinheim. For the rest it is a long walk or probably a car/taxi ride. Or you could maybe rent a bike to reach the locations.

But spotting position 1/2 is actually very good if they are landing from the west (on runways 25)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:47 am

I've spotted Fra dozens of times and I'll get back to you later this evening with some ideas. The observation deck at t2 is horrible after the renovation especially if you want to take photos due to a fishnet fence that ruins everything

there are 2 other spots that are much much much better I'll get you the details later. Easy to reach and fantastic spotting
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:42 pm

OK....

My favorite place to spot is at the intersection of the north/south and East/West runways....it is the closest that you can get to aircraft near the airport and have the room to enjoy them. There is a great observation deck there that has an elevated platform so you are seeing and shooting over the fence.

It's a long walk unless you use a shuttle, and heres' how to go about it.... When you step outside the terminal, look for the Holiday Parking Shuttle station. There are 2 stops at Terminal 1 and 1 stop at Terminal 2. With the recent renovations to the airport, they may have moved them since my last time there, so I can't tell you exactly where they are. There will be street signs on the sidewalk for them, or just as the airport info desk. This shuttle is free and takes you to the long term 'holiday' parking lot across the airport. If you leave from Terminal 1, it will go to T2 for a stop and then head to the lot. When you are on the shuttle, pay attention as you near the tunnel that goes beneath the north/south runway. About 100 yards/meters before you enter the tunnel look out the right side of the shuttle and you'll steps that lead to a path just off the road. Thats the path that will take you to the spotting spot. The shuttle will drive through the tunnel (beneath the runway) and pull into the Holiday lot which is just beyond the tunnel to the east of the runway. Get off the shuttle and walk back through the tunnel and to the area that has the steps leading to the path. Take the path towards the runway and you'll see the observation area.

When you're ready to leave, walk back to the Holiday parking lot and get on the Shuttle. By the way, don't volunteer the fact that your using the shuttle to get to the spotting area. I'm not sure how the driver would react if he knew you weren't going to the lot for your car. Sometimes when I was the only guy on the shuttle I'd ask him to drop me off at the steps before the tunnel, and they were OK with that, but don't tempt fate!

What I love about this spot is that Frankfurt sends most of its Asian bound heavies to this runway since it's easier to get the aircraft out of the way. You'll see all the exotics depart this runway if the wind is conducive. You'll see Iran, Kuwait, MEA, etc. Plenty of A380 and 747 action. And whats nice is that it is steady throughout the day. As a bonus, you'll see arrivals from the west or departures to the west since you'll be near the East West runways as well. I've taken thousands of photos from this spot!!

It's the closest place to enjoy the heavies without any fences or crap that can get in your way. There is another spot to the east, but it's nowhere as good as the one I described.

Here are a few shots from my favorite spotting area:

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jun 28, 2017 at 3:47 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions.

On the Saturday before we are due to leave, we will check out the visitors terrace to see how suitable it will be for photography.

Regarding taking a flight in the simulator, we would only be able to do that if we were to win the European equivalent of Ozlotto as the prices are way out of our means. Would be nice though to do a simulator flight in an A346...

The viewing spot LufthansaFlyer has mentioned (#8 in the official guide) sounds like a good spot although possibly a bit difficult to get to without a car. If we could get there, it would probably be in the morning which would mean that we would be looking against the light, assuming it is sunny.

In the link supplied by dj_jay_smith, it advises against walking through the tunnel under the runway due to safety concerns. Also, I remember reading on a forum somewhere, that it's not a good idea to use that shuttle bus, as if they find out that you're not picking up a car, they may leave you there or something to that effect. We can ill afford to miss our flight home.

Is there somewhere close to the airport where one could rent a bicycle?

I think we would need to see what the weather will be doing on the day before we can see what options would be best
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Any other suggestions welcome.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mhsqcx081114
Thanks for your suggestions.

On the Saturday before we are due to leave, we will check out the visitors terrace to see how suitable it will be for photography.

Regarding taking a flight in the simulator, we would only be able to do that if we were to win the European equivalent of Ozlotto as the prices are way out of our means. Would be nice though to do a simulator flight in an A346...

The viewing spot LufthansaFlyer has mentioned (#8 in the official guide) sounds like a good spot although possibly a bit difficult to get to without a car. If we could get there, it would probably be in the morning which would mean that we would be looking against the light, assuming it is sunny.

In the link supplied by dj_jay_smith, it advises against walking through the tunnel under the runway due to safety concerns. Also, I remember reading on a forum somewhere, that it's not a good idea to use that shuttle bus, as if they find out that you're not picking up a car, they may leave you there or something to that effect. We can ill afford to miss our flight home.

Is there somewhere close to the airport where one could rent a bicycle?

I think we would need to see what the weather will be doing on the day before we can see what options would be best

The tunnel is perfectly safe to walk through it has a very wide sidewalk for pedestrians. People walk through it all the time.

The shuttle bus driver does not check if you are going to the lot for your car. If you are nervous, simply hang out in the parking lot when you first get there and wait for the bus to leave so the driver doesn't see you. On the way back, get to the lot and wait for the bus to show up. They don't check your 'papers'. I've done the shuttle bus trip probably 20 times and never a hiccup. One time when the weather was perfect and I was with a couple of LH peeps we decided to walk back. Took about 45 minutes back to FCT ahead of a flight to HKG.

But what do I know.....I only have about 40000 photos from FRA, and have every current LH main-line aircraft on 'film' except for the newest A350s and NEOs that have been delivered in the last 3-4 months.

Don't look for reasons not to do something, look for reasons to see and experience something new......

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Jun 29, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The koolest thing to do at FRA for an aviation geek is the LH first class terminal with a drive all the way to the plane itself and an elevator ride to the second floor of the LHA380 waiting for me.
But I don't think this was what the OP was asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.