Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Berlin: Unexpected car upgrade - where to drive?

Old May 16, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

[Warning. First world problems.]

Help! I booked a diesel Golf and blagged a free upgrade to a BMW M2 in Berlin. I can't relegate this amazing car to driving in city traffic for three days. Can someone recommend somewhere I can blast the crap out of this thing, preferably a bit twisty and not just autobahn?
Old May 16, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Gold / Accor Gold
Route no. 2 - Berlin - Hanover. An autobahn without limits. But be careful with the Ferraris and Lamborghinis racing on the left lane. If you see lights in your mirror, leave the line.

Enjoy the ride
Old May 16, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by pmichelazzo
Route no. 2 - Berlin - Hanover. An autobahn without limits. But be careful with the Ferraris and Lamborghinis racing on the left lane. If you see lights in your mirror, leave the line.

Enjoy the ride
We leave at midnight!

PS: I was once in the right lane on the A1 South going at 220km/h in a rental Audi. Check my mirrors before going round a lorry and there were lights in the distance. I pulled out and the lights were suddenly right up behind me, flashing. Thought I must've missed something in my blind spot. I pulled in around the lorry and a Bugatti Veyron shot past me and left me like I was standing still. The whole thing took less than five seconds to play out. The only one I've ever seen in the wild.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this discussion in the FT Germany Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 16, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
We leave at midnight!

PS: I was once in the right lane on the A1 South going at 220km/h in a rental Audi. Check my mirrors before going round a lorry and there were lights in the distance. I pulled out and the lights were suddenly right up behind me, flashing. Thought I must've missed something in my blind spot. I pulled in around the lorry and a Bugatti Veyron shot past me and left me like I was standing still. The whole thing took less than five seconds to play out. The only one I've ever seen in the wild.
^
Great story!
Old May 16, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
A2 is a very fast but also somewhat crazy/ aggressive Autobahn. It has some tricky passages, but also very long and straight ones. A trip to Berlin is often the first time I push a new car into the limiter.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If it were me, I'd be off to the Nurburgring, with apologies to whatever/whomever else I had planned.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
If it were me, I'd be off to the Nurburgring, with apologies to whatever/whomever else I had planned.
A 14 hour round trip just to be shown up by some wag in a tuned up Smart car?
Old May 17, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Not that great idea given that most (if not all) major car rental companies exclude driving on a race track (even on "sightseeing laps").

Don't drive only on the Autobahn. Find some place with twists.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
With a rental car? Not really a good idea.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

That's what not to do unless OP is ready to buy the rental-company if necessary a nice M2. Also a little bit like: Hey, I'll be in Miami, let's go surfing in Malibu

Last edited by offerendum; May 17, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old May 17, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not that great idea given that most (if not all) major car rental companies exclude driving on a race track (even on "sightseeing laps").

Don't drive only on the Autobahn. Find some place with twists.
Yes, they were emphatically clear on the subject of racetracks. I can expect a fine just for being caught on one, apparently.

The twisty roads are proving hard to come by. Twisty roads are usually a result of hilly bits and the local area is really flat.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by roberino
The twisty roads are proving hard to come by. Twisty roads are usually a result of hilly bits and the local area is really flat.
Indeed - the way would be too long. Only racetrack you can and will drive without problem is AVUS-Ring, but its not that much fun today.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Plus the A115, which goes on the former Avus track has a speed limit of 100 since 1989.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Quick update. Didn't get much sleep last night. Did about 400km overnight on the A2 and out to Dresden. Got pulled over by a cop who spotted me experience a "traction issue" on a slip road. He laughed, told me to calm down and got me to rev the engine.

The car was incredible but isn't an Autobahn beast. It was much more interesting on the occasions I hit the turns. I want one sooooo badly...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.