Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is it a bad idea to buy a car with delivery in Germany and drive on the Autobahn?

Is it a bad idea to buy a car with delivery in Germany and drive on the Autobahn?

Old May 10, 2017, 1:47 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Wellington
What are the best stretches of the Autobahn to not be restriced? I intend on doing Nurburgring and driving down from there to Stuttgart and thru to Munich. I don't intend on going crazy but I will be renting a high end car and driving up to 125 MPH.
Note that by taking a normal rental car onto the racetrack you are violating the terms of your rental agreement. Considering how crowded the track gets that can get pretty expensive for you.

A better bet is to rent a real car on the track itself and get a proper instruction. An example is here: http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives...r-rentals.html
Old May 10, 2017, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What are the best stretches of the Autobahn to not be restriced? I intend on doing Nurburgring and driving down from there to Stuttgart and thru to Munich. I don't intend on going crazy but I will be renting a high end car and driving up to 125 MPH.
Please tell me that you have some experience driving under those conditions and according to German driving norms. Otherwise you are a hazard to yourself and, more importantly, to others.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Please tell me that you have some experience driving under those conditions ...
Clearly he hasn't. Otherwise he would know that the stretch of Autobahn from Frankfurt to Munich via Stuttgart is always relatively busy.

I intend on doing Nurburgring .... I don't intend on going crazy but I will be renting a high end car
I'm pretty sure that most rental agencies don't allow you to drive on the Nordschleife. If you want to drive a rental on the track, you'll need to rent one at the track.

And just for the sake of illustration (No passenger or bystander was seriously injured):
Old May 10, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What is an off-the-shelf car? A Porsche 911 is a normal factory car. So is a BMW 535 or a Mercedes E350. It is no big deal at all for these to go 200 km/h (I assume this is what you mean). If by off-the-shelf you mean a used Renault with a 1.1l four-cylinder engine then yes, these won't get anywhere near 200 km/h.
More models from BMW, Audi and Mercedes go to 250 than not
Old May 10, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I don't intend on going crazy but I will be renting a high end car and driving up to 125 MPH.
Respect, I never know in advance how fast I will drive.
Also it's with sll rental-cars from the big companies forbidden to go to the Nürburgring.

Perhaps its the best you come to Germany and have a look. After it you can decide by yourself
Old May 11, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Probably we should ask our US friends to get a German driving license. This is something we had to do v/v when registering a car in California. No insurance w/o local license. And at the end it was a good albeit not easy exercise.
Old May 11, 2017, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Clearly he hasn't. Otherwise he would know that the stretch of Autobahn from Frankfurt to Munich via Stuttgart is always relatively busy.
Good point. That whole stretch has huge sections limited to 120. There are also millions of construction sites. The A3 from Frankfurt via Würzbug is probably worse.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Probably we should ask our US friends to get a German driving license. This is something we had to do v/v when registering a car in California. No insurance w/o local license. And at the end it was a good albeit not easy exercise.
While my ordinary US state driving license would transfer to a German driving license, I was under the impression that such transfer required being a German resident. Mistaken understanding?

Surely, German car companies with a European delivery program aimed at US residents want this business too, so why would Germany want to undermine such business?

American drivers in Europe are probably a more extreme hazard in more urban areas and on local roads than on European highways of sorts. How so? By not paying attention to pedestrian crosswalks, not knowing speed limits in areas with no clearly posted speed limits nearby, the trouble with driving manual transmission cars, and/or not being so good in the roundabouts -- more of an issue on relatively more urban roads in Europe than elsewhere in Europe.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 11, 2017 at 3:49 am
Old May 11, 2017, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
American drivers in Europe are probably a more extreme hazard in more urban areas and on local roads than on European highways of sorts. How so? By not paying attention to pedestrian crosswalks, not knowing speed limits in areas with no clearly posted speed limits nearby, the trouble with driving manual transmission cars, and/or not being so good in the roundabouts -- more of an issue on relatively more urban roads in Europe than elsewhere in Europe.
I had a few near death experiences with US colleagues when they thought the 'right turn on red' applied universally in Germany as well.

The US Army has good manual for military stationed in Germany here: http://www.eur.army.mil/rmv/Documents_PDF/aep190-34.pdf
Old May 11, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
While my ordinary US state driving license would transfer to a German driving license, I was under the impression that such transfer required being a German resident. Mistaken understanding?
No this is correct. You must be a resident.

Surely, German car companies with a European delivery program aimed at US residents want this business too, so why would Germany want to undermine such business?
I think it was meant tongue-in-cheek.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I had a few near death experiences with US colleagues when they thought the 'right turn on red' applied universally in Germany as well.
Quite dangeroud and potentially expensive.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I once asked a European colleague about this--I'm not sure whether it was Germany--and got a shocked response that of course you cannot turn right on a red light.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I once asked a European colleague about this--I'm not sure whether it was Germany--and got a shocked response that of course you cannot turn right on a red light.
My usual approach now, if I'm not sure of the rules for short turn on red (having driven in three different countries where driving is on the left, I think more in terms of short and long turns now), is to sit and wait. If I don't get honked at, I stay. If I get honked at, I go.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Someone on TV once described it as "the only American contribution to western civilization". That said, most major intersections have bypasses for right-turns where you only have a yield sign. Roundabouts help resolving the problem too.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:03 am
Suspended

Except where it is permitted of course (at an increasing number of traffic lights).

One of my economics professors once described this as being one of the few real-world examples of something that is Pareto near-optimal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.