Reload this Page >

German language

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

German language

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by henry999
Again: the question is not about the wish; the wish is understood. The question is how to translate this German phrase into natural English. If you're in the pub with your mates and someone leaves (and you know he lives across the road and 100 metres down), you're not going to say 'have a safe trip home' unless you're taking the p!ss. Does the German Heimweg carry any sense of irony here? I didn't think so.
no irony.
It depends on where you are located. Here in New York it would be *Take care* in this situation
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If you're in the pub with your mates and someone leaves (and you know he lives across the road and 100 metres down), you're not going to say 'have a safe trip home' unless you're taking the p!ss. Does the German Heimweg carry any sense of irony here? I didn't think so.
That's exactly what I would (and do) say!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's exactly what I would say and do as well. That, or "you'd better not've stuck us with your drink bill!".
Again: the question is not about the wish; the wish is understood. The question is how to translate this German phrase into natural English. If you're in the pub with your mates and someone leaves (and you know he lives across the road and 100 metres down), you're not going to say 'have a safe trip home' unless you're taking the p!ss. Does the German Heimweg carry any sense of irony here? I didn't think so.
The German Heimweg in this case carries no irony, sarcasm, or double entendre that I can detect here. It just fills the space on the point-of-sale receipt by sprinkling an ounce of sunshine-at-night onto a patron who contributed to keeping the place in business.

Obviously, the question is not how to translate this German phrase into natural English. The question is whether any of us can help you figure out what you should say to your mate in idiomatic English next time he leaves a pub to walk home. I'm afraid I've tried and failed.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
No irony.

Still don´t understand your probelm. It´s like: How to translate "How are you today?" Common greeting in the US, not so in Germany. Nearly no one in Germany would say it if you enter a shop. Simply a cultural difference.

+1. Don´t say it all the time but it´s absolutely common. So you are not a Freak or taking some whatever if you say it to someone who leaves. Even if it´s only a few meters.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:33 am
Suspended

Indeed. Not so long ago the question of "how are you" as a greeting in German would evoke a long overture of recent medical dilemmas.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Indeed. Not so long ago the question of "how are you" as a greeting in German would evoke a long overture of recent medical dilemmas.
Sometimes it´s still the case
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by offerendum
Sometimes it´s still the case
oh yeah!

You always have have to consider environment (location , age , education, ....) into account.

translate into English ? In London that would be different from New York from Alabama from Australia ......(trust me as a German living in the US but speaking/emailing with people in AU/UK I run into this all the time
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:32 pm
Suspended

This evening my daughters' school had their final evening drama production. At the end of the performance there were the usual last-night thank-yous. At the end the headmistress said "...and have a safe journey home."

Made me think of this thread.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Deja vu:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...s-germany.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:21 am

I had to chuckle when I looked at the receipt I got at a German brew-pub recently. They had a little tag-line at the bottom which said 'Vielen Dank und einen guten Heimweg'. I get the idea well enough -- and it's a nice thought -- but how does one render that second part in idiomatic English?!?
I would use the term:
"safe journey" or "safe travels"
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
Heimweg is simply the way home, a general term with no indication how near or far it is or which means of transport is used, be it car, bike, public transport or one's own feet. Trust a native speaker of German.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
"Safe Trip Home!"
"Have a good trip home"
"We wish you a pleasant journey home"
"Take care on your way home"
"Enjoy your way home"

all dependent on context, ie friendly farewell, corporate message, and whether the journey is expected to require care or merely enjoyment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.