Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Oktoberfest 2017

Oktoberfest 2017

Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
The past several years, I have been able to find a weekend night for a hotel available using points. Marriott and/or IHG. Great redemption value, of course.

Otherwise, yes. Hotels in the city are expensive.

As for "best local beer", I would have to put a vote in for Augustiner am Platzl, across the street from the big Hofbräuhaus.

While an admitted fan of Augustiner beer in general, when I visited they were tapping a fresh, wooden keg of Helles at the bar every afternoon. Can't confirm they still do it, but I have very fond memories...

Of course, when I visit O'fest it is for the atmosphere of the Wiesn tents. Unless I was in town for an extended visit, I would save other locales for other times.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: United, Hyatt, American, Hilton
I'll be returning to Oktoberfest this year, after falling in love with it last year. The only thing to be aware of on the 16th is that's also the Rosaweisn, the gay day at the Braurosl tent. That one will be packed and have a line all day, so check out one of the other tents. Last year was rainy but there were plenty of spots in all the other tents. A nice sunny day would change that by a lot though!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ChiTider
I'll be returning to Oktoberfest this year, after falling in love with it last year. The only thing to be aware of on the 16th is that's also the Rosaweisn, the gay day at the Braurosl tent. That one will be packed and have a line all day, so check out one of the other tents. Last year was rainy but there were plenty of spots in all the other tents. A nice sunny day would change that by a lot though!
Unless I am mistaken, it is actually the first Sunday of the Festival, which this year makes it Sept. 17th.

Can't wait, and like you, hoping for very good weather!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
I can second everything but number 3. While the Schneider Brauhaus is very good it brews and serves Weizenbeer. If you are looking for the other typical beer the "Helles" you should visit another Brauhaus. A very traditional place is Beim Sedlmayr, or Georgenhof. For Friday or Saturday evening you should reserve a table.
Will try to find these two places but curious how far from Marienplatz square?
- Seidmayr - looks like it's neat Hoffbrau in Marienplatz right?
- Georgenhof - in Schwabing which I'm familiar with area but not the street. Near Roxy/Hoffbrau on Leopold Strauss?
I know Leopold/Ludwig Strauss

Helles beer in Germany isn't my favorite as I prefer Pilsner from czech far better.
but willing to explore a few more on recommendations. Weiss beers (Franziskanner, Aventinus, Schneider weiss, Erdinger, Hacker-Schoor ) are exceptional in Munich and even Gutman. Want to find many new local places in Munich even to try Helles so I really appreciate like ideas above.

Are you in Munich Sept 20-25 this year?

I was in Bamberg for 5 nights in May--- had many Pils & Rauch biers. have you been?

Last edited by euromannn; Jul 25, 2017 at 7:18 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Unless I am mistaken, it is actually the first Sunday of the Festival, which this year makes it Sept. 17th.

Can't wait, and like you, hoping for very good weather!
Octoberfest runs from 3rd Saturday of September to first Sunday of October.

You re correct about the parade date:
"The traditional costumes parade takes place Every first Oktoberfest Sunday. In 2017, the parade starts at 10 o'clock on September 17."
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
The past several years, I have been able to find a weekend night for a hotel available using points. Marriott and/or IHG. Great redemption value, of course.

Otherwise, yes. Hotels in the city are expensive.

As for "best local beer", I would have to put a vote in for Augustiner am Platzl, across the street from the big Hofbräuhaus.

While an admitted fan of Augustiner beer in general, when I visited they were tapping a fresh, wooden keg of Helles at the bar every afternoon. Can't confirm they still do it, but I have very fond memories...

Of course, when I visit O'fest it is for the atmosphere of the Wiesn tents. Unless I was in town for an extended visit, I would save other locales for other times.
let me know of any good hotel redemption deals. I'll be in Munich area Sept 20-25. Looking for hotel deals. have SPG, MR and IHG award points if good deal which I can't find so far.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: LH M+M
This one is rather 'new' in MUC https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...wt/hoteldetail
Currently at 219E/night ihg-rate for the dates mentioned - not too bad for Oktoberfest season, I think.

Next to S-Bahn "Stammstrecke", Stop Hirschgarten (2min walk).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
This one is rather 'new' in MUC https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...wt/hoteldetail
Currently at 219E/night ihg-rate for the dates mentioned - not too bad for Oktoberfest season, I think.

Very steep if you ask me but norm for Oktoberfest. I've been to 8 Oktoberfest.....and keep asking myself why return when it's such a tourist trap. last year I met up with a running group event so was something different besides the festival. This year I got a good airfare into Germany via Munich so that's why i start here.

Thanks for the hotel suggestion.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You have to prepare a foundation: eat pretzels and roast chicken during the first round, don't drink on empty stomach. 3x 1L will go in easy over 2-3 hours. The 4th one is tough.
Could you recommend a few of the local pubs/beer halls around MUC center you think are good places to drink beer? Beim Sedlmayr,(Marienplatz sq) or Georgenhof (Schwabing) are 2 places fly suggested.

I know Marienplatz Sq area and Schwabing very well so easy to get too.

danke
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by euromannn
- Seidmayr - looks like it's neat Hoffbrau in Marienplatz right?
- Georgenhof - in Schwabing which I'm familiar with area but not the street. Near Roxy/Hoffbrau on Leopold Strauss?
I know Leopold/Ludwig Strauss
Seldmayer is close to Viktualienmarkt.
Georgenhof is close to Leopoldstraße, between subway station University and Giselastraße.

Around Marienplatz are
Tegernseeer im Tal
Doinsle

Not far from Marienplatz around Frauenkirche is
Andechser and Augustiner
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
Seldmayer is close to Viktualienmarkt.
Georgenhof is close to Leopoldstraße, between subway station University and Giselastraße.

Around Marienplatz are
Tegernseeer im Tal
Doinsle

Not far from Marienplatz around Frauenkirche is
Andechser and Augustiner
Great, could you advise on which beers you recommend?
I've had Augustines often and Andescher I've had in draft here in Seattle.

Have you tried the rauchbieer from Schlenkerla and Spezial from Bamberg?
Very interesting as clearly a local taste bud to acclimate too.

What is your opinion of Gutman Weiss beer,a s on a blog many raved about it but I thought similar to Erdinger Dunkel?

I've been going to Munich so long I tend you hit just Schneiderweiss & Hoffbrau(walk through not drink) in Marienplatz then head to University or Schwabing area for other bars, so appreciate the new tips.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euromannn
let me know of any good hotel redemption deals. I'll be in Munich area Sept 20-25. Looking for hotel deals. have SPG, MR and IHG award points if good deal which I can't find so far.
You will just have to keep checking the chain's websites for award redemptions. For a 4 night itinerary, you might have to get creative and potentially change hotels during the stay...admittedly a pain, but it would be worth it to me based on hotel room costs.

Honestly, you may have already missed prime opportunity to snag rooms. Festival is only a couple months away now.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAX_fips

I stayed at this hotel last year during O'Fest (on point redemption )
Decent hotel and very good location for easy access to O'Fest.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The Oktoberfest app just launched. It's quite cool; dynamic tent occupancy levels, find friends, you can even use it to pay for things.

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/article...-_de+App/4023/
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:24 pm

My friend and I will be staying at the Le Meridien. We will only be there for one or two nights on Tuesday the 19th and the 20th. Is that too far to walk to the tents? Any suggestions on that area? Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.