Wiki Posts
Search

10 hour layover in FRA on a Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
10 hour layover in FRA on a Sunday

I know there are lots of threads on what to do with a long layover but my question is what will open on a Sunday? I'm considering taking the train to Cologne so I can see the countryside. I was also debating renting a car. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What are you looking to do, kill some time or do you have a specific agenda in mind? Are you coming off a longhaul flight and getting onto another in the evening and want to stretch you legs and tank some sunshine? Do you just want to sit in a restaurant and eat and drink?

In terms of most of these possibilities the same things will be open in Cologne as in Frankfurt (i.e. museums, some shops, some attractions). It's about an hour by ICE to Cologne from Frankfurt airport. Your ten-hour layover is more like five at the destination once you deduct one hour to get from wheels-down to the train station, two hours of train journey time there and back, and arrival two hours before your next departure (all broad timings). Personally I would not bother with Cologne, but it's hard to give you advice if we don't know what you're interested in doing during that time (and once you do, there are tons of threads with relevant info.)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:16 am

Just a reminder: the trains that run Frankfurt-Cologne in 1:00 hr are high Speed Trains with no remarkable landscape at all.

Only the slower trains along the Rhine River offer views of the landscapes, and they take about 2:15 hrs each way.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by bacchus85
Just a reminder: the trains that run Frankfurt-Cologne in 1:00 hr are high Speed Trains with no remarkable landscape at all.

Only the slower trains along the Rhine River offer views of the landscapes, and they take about 2:15 hrs each way.
In fact, if you want the best countryside then just take the train to Koblenz.

If you want to do this I would suggest actually to take the boat from Bingen or Rudesheim to Koblenz and then take the train back.

Bingen is on the line from Frankurt - Koblenz, but the boat dock is a bit of a walk from the train station (Hbf). Rudesheim is on the opposite side of the river and the station is closer to the dock but you will have to change train in Wiesbaden, and have a longer trip on the boat.

Koblenz is a nice little town where you can grab lunch and have a walk around before heading back.

Cologne is not so stunningly beautiful that it is worth a long detour from Frankfurt.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:30 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Or stay in Frankfurt and head to the Palmengarten.

http://www.palmengarten.de/#/de_DE/index/index

Then a leisurely meal and a glass or two of the local "Ebbelwoi"
Old Jan 27, 2017, 4:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mosburger
a glass or two of the local "Ebbelwoi"
You are familiar with the after-effects of this, right? Maybe not such a good idea to drink too much of this before a long flight!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
deleted

Last edited by fppmongo; Jan 30, 2017 at 4:28 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
deleted

Last edited by fppmongo; Jan 30, 2017 at 4:29 am
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
I'm not looking for shopping. I wanted to see a castle or two but it being Sunday I'm thinking most of them will be closed. I really just want to see as much of the history and culture as possible.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Castles, museums, etc. will all be open on Sundays.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You are familiar with the after-effects of this, right? Maybe not such a good idea to drink too much of this before a long flight!
Still, having lived in Mainhattan as a kid and been back numerous times since, it's part of the "must do" list.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You are familiar with the after-effects of this, right?
What "after effects" are you ascribing to this, other than any other alcoholic beverage?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:52 am
Suspended

Livelihood of the bowels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.