Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Catching Train at MUC...How Much Time?

Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Hey guys/gals,

Did a search and could not really find the answer I was looking for.

Flying YYZ --> AMS --> MUC all on one booking. Will be traveling Euro Business AMS --> MUC with a checked bag.

From MUC I need to get to Linz and was planning on taking the train.

How much time do I need from my (expected) arrival time until I get on the train?

I am supposed to land at 13:30 and the train departs at either 14:33 or 15:44. Is it possible to make the 14:33 train? I would like to get to Linz as early as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Checked in baggage or not? Even with so called priority I was on a KML YYZ-AMS-MUC flight and it took over 30 minutes for bags to show on carousel in Munich. Then add some time to walk to the airport train station etc...14:33 would be doubtful.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
Checked in baggage or not? Even with so called priority I was on a KML YYZ-AMS-MUC flight and it took over 30 minutes for bags to show on carousel in Munich. Then add some time to walk to the airport train station etc...14:33 would be doubtful.
Yes checked bag. I will also be with KLM.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Are those train departure times from Munich Hbf? The airport is ~45 mins away by frequent S-bahn train
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Are those train departure times from Munich Hbf? The airport is ~45 mins away by frequent S-bahn train

No, they are departures from the airport to then connect at Hbf.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Try getting a priority tag on your luggage, for what it's worth. Given an on-time arrival, and luggage delivered promptly, you can make the early train.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
As we have a dedicated Germany forum, I'll move this over. Please continue to discuss this topic in the Germany forum.

stut
Europe Forum
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YWGtoAnywhere

I am supposed to land at 13:30 and the train departs at either 14:33 or 15:44. Is it possible to make the 14:33 train? I would like to get to Linz as early as possible.
I don't believe you would ever have to wait that long between trains to get from the airport to the station in town. There is an S-Bahn or a bus going roughly every ten minutes.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Try getting a priority tag on your luggage, for what it's worth. Given an on-time arrival, and luggage delivered promptly, you can make the early train.
If it departs from the Airport 1 hour is plenty of time. Without collecting bags you need not more than 10 minutes to the Train, with collecting bags perhaps 30 minutes. Priority tag at MUC is not that useless, I had to wait 5 minutes longer in the past without.... Since this Event I make sure I have one...
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
I don't believe you would ever have to wait that long between trains to get from the airport to the station in town. There is an S-Bahn or a bus going roughly every ten minutes.
I believe it showed this way to try to minimize connection time at Hbf. I imagine the trains the Linz are not very frequent and that would be the reason for such a large gap at the airport.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
If it departs from the Airport 1 hour is plenty of time. Without collecting bags you need not more than 10 minutes to the Train, with collecting bags perhaps 30 minutes. Priority tag at MUC is not that useless, I had to wait 5 minutes longer in the past without.... Since this Event I make sure I have one...
Thanks!

I guess I could also book a flex ticket and if for some reason I am late I should be able to change it.

I guess my best bet is to wait to see if my AMS --> MUC flight is on time and then book.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Thanks!

I guess I could also book a flex ticket and if for some reason I am late I should be able to change it.

[...]
+1 for the flex ticket.
I've waited at MUC T1 between 2 mins and almost an hour for baggage delivery. As nice MUC may be, baggage delivery (and security) can take terribly long compared to most other major airports. (And I can't understand why they don't have these processes under control)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:59 am

If you buy a flexible train ticket, you don't need to change it, just take the later train. If you buy a saver ticket with Deutsche Bahn, changing it on the day of departure is not possible, so you would have to buy a new ticket. I don't know the conditions for OeBB saver fares, but i guess they are similar regarding changes.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I believe it showed this way to try to minimize connection time at Hbf. I imagine the trains the Linz are not very frequent and that would be the reason for such a large gap at the airport.
They are fairly frequent since Linz is on the main Munich-Salzburg-Vienna route.

Trains from Munich airport go either of two ways into town.
Anti-clockwise (S1) or Clockwise (S8)

The S1 takes a bit longer but if you get the right train from Hbf you don't have to change at Salzburg.

On the S8, you don't go all the way to Hbf but get off at Munich Ost and get the next train to Salzburg, and change there for Linz.

Total time either way is the same, +/- 2 minutes.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by mandolino
They are fairly frequent since Linz is on the main Munich-Salzburg-Vienna route.

Trains from Munich airport go either of two ways into town.
Anti-clockwise (S1) or Clockwise (S8)

The S1 takes a bit longer but if you get the right train from Hbf you don't have to change at Salzburg.

On the S8, you don't go all the way to Hbf but get off at Munich Ost and get the next train to Salzburg, and change there for Linz.

Total time either way is the same, +/- 2 minutes.
Yet the change at Munich Ost takes 2 minutes, whereas at Munich Hauptbahnhof it takes a lot longer to get from the S-Bahn to actual train station. So, I'd take the S8 and change at Munich Ost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.