Search

Ideas for 3 nights away from Munich

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Ideas for 3 nights away from Munich

Hi!

Next week I'm off to Munich. I've got two "meetings" of sorts, one over the weekend, the next on Wednesday. As such I've got Sunday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon free, and am wondering what to do with myself.

I've been to Munich, Nuremburg, Friedrichshafen and Salzburg before, and have done plenty of Christmas markets. I'm not interested in Dachau (done a few of those places), and will be going to Schloss Neuschwanstein later in the week. Car hire for 72 hours is around €75, so I'm happy to get a car if that helps. I'm not so keen to drive in the snow however.

I like walking and nature. Happy to see some small towns (in did a nice trip to Bamberg and Coberg a few years ago). I haven't been to Stuttgart. Possibly interested in going into the mountains, possibly Berchtesgaden or similar, but not sure if early December is a bad time (too early in the winter season?). Also see above about not wanting to drive in the snow! Unless the roads are perfectly clear.

I wouldn't mind just slothing it for a few days in a fancy rural hotel, but my absolute budget would be €150/night, which would probably exclude all the very nice ones.

So, any ideas?!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 3:18 pm

Rothenburg is a very scenic small city if you haven't already been there. If you are looking to go into the mountains I enjoyed Mittenwald, which is on the rail line that goes to Innsbruck (which is also a possibility).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:41 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
If you are into beer, Bamberg is a couple hours train ride away (on ICE, longer on RE)

It has a pretty (authentic, not restored) Old town (UNESCO World Heritage site) and ten breweries (not bad for 70,000) people.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Take a train to Prien. Head over by boat to Herrinchiemsee Island and check out another one of Ludwig's grand castles, designed after Versailles.
You can also take the train to Garmisch and visit the sites including the Olympic Stadium and ski jump. You can also take a local train to visit Ettal (Monastary and Cathedral) and Oberammergau (Passion Play) as a side trip.
Another favorite side trip of mine is to take an S-line train to Lake Starnberg. I have only done this in summer and early fall so don't know what it's like this time of year. There is a ship that travels the lake but don't know if it runs in December but there are also some nice shops and good restaurants to pass the time. In fact there are good shops and restaurants everywhere.
In the summer I would be renting a car for all of this and basing out of MUC, but for travel this time of year and with your dislike of snow/driving, IMHO I would use the trains whenever I could.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Much of the stuff in Berchtesgaden is closed for the winter. Salzburg is great, although some of it is also closed for winter, but you've been there. I'd also suggest driving the Romantik Road, but Neuschwanstein is part of it, as is Rothenburg,which is where the Castle Road crosses the Romantic Road.

If you drive north for about five hours, there are two stunning historic small towns in the former DDR with impressive Starwoods, both LCs IIRC. Look for the hotel named Elephant.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Weather here is great this week, so no snow in sight. Herrenchiemsee is worth a visit, especially the xmas market on the island. If you like driving, Würzburg, Regensburg, Bamberg etc are worth a daytrip-
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
check deutsche bahn for cheap roundtrip train tickets. maybe go down to innsbruk, Vienna, or even Budapest.

Last edited by bearkatt; Nov 30, 2016 at 7:51 am
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It's a bit out of your budget, but I really do like Schloss Elmau. Beautiful scenery, beautiful hotel. You can walk up mountains or sit in the fantastic library and read a book over a glass of wine. Mrs and I (and sometimes kids) have spent many a weekend here doing pretty much nothing. Or hire a car and drive to Austria and stay in a nice family hotel in the Zillertal. Again, nature is on your side (plus you can get in some skiing if you like).
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:24 pm

If you like nature, walking, and small towns, another suggestion is the Bavarian Forest (Bayerischer Wald), around the towns of Zwiesel, Furth im Wald, or Bodenmais. Lots of nature, picturesque villages, and relative quiet. I'm sure there's a nice rural hotel there somewhere, and on the A92 the trip from Munich is not long.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions!

I've gone with Mittenwald in the end. Found quite a nice little hotel with a pool, and there seems to be quite a few good walks to do in the area, plus good links to Munich on the train. The more I investigate Germany, the more interesting places seem to show up! I'll need to do a longer trip next time!

Weather forecast is looking is good
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions!

I've gone with Mittenwald in the end. Found quite a nice little hotel with a pool, and there seems to be quite a few good walks to do in the area, plus good links to Munich on the train. The more I investigate Germany, the more interesting places seem to show up! I'll need to do a longer trip next time!

Weather forecast is looking is good
Good choice...you'll love it. Have a great trip
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Quick report back...had a great time in Germany. Did the Christmas market at MUC, then a few fabulous sunny (but cold) days in Mittenwald, then over to Neuschwanstein Castle before Friedrichshafen, and BA back to LGW:

Mittenwald

Walking around the Mittenwald area

Neuschwanstein Castle

Friedrichshafen Dornier Musuem

Friedrichshafen Zepplin Musuem

Lake Constance @ Friedrichshafen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.