Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Connecting at MUC airport

Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )

I have a 13 hour layover in Germany connecting through to Georgia. I was planning on leaving to visit Munich (S1/8 trains) and coming back through. Few questions, some relating to the connection and some to my plans itself:

1) I am on a single itinerary booked through United but leg out is on Lufthansa metal, can I pay to check a second bag while in Munich (aka I am thinking of doing some beer/whiskey/tourist stuff) to my final destination?

2) On the Munich airport website it says there might be delays with construction ongoing for the trains, on certain days it is bus service instead of the S1/8. Can anyone with experience tell me if this is a major impact on travel schedule?

3) What are the security lines like in Munich? I was planning on giving myself 3 hours, which means leaving Munich 4 hours before my flight, seem reasonable or overkill? especially if I am checking a bag.

thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 16, 2016 at 9:28 am Reason: Moved to Germany forum
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by pattermj
I have a 13 hour layover in Germany connecting through to Georgia.
First: Are you eligible of entering Germany (and more largely Schengen Area)?

can I pay to check a second bag while in Munich (aka I am thinking of doing some beer/whiskey/tourist stuff) to my final destination?
It should (technically) be working. The question is whether it is clever to do so. A small bag (<23 kg and less than 158cm circumference) is 75 oneway on European routes and 150 oneway on intercontinental routes.

In any case, you'll need to pay attention to when bag drop in MUC will close.

3) What are the security lines like in Munich?
Without specific information on approx. time and date of departure. this is tricky to answer. I've been in MUC with barely any queues and have spend a fair amount waiting at the security lines.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by WorldLux
It should (technically) be working. The question is whether it is clever to do so. A small bag (<23 kg and less than 158cm circumference) is 75 oneway on European routes and 150 oneway on intercontinental routes.
Luckily, baggage fees are assessed based on the itinerary, not on the leg
Old Oct 16, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
3) What are the security lines like in Munich? I was planning on giving myself 3 hours, which means leaving Munich 4 hours before my flight, seem reasonable or overkill? especially if I am checking a bag
Never had long lines at MUC, but of course its no guarantee. Normally 4 hours from the centre should be more than enough.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Four hours from the centre, even if taking the S Bahn, is far too early in my opinion. Sounds like this is a late night departure; you should be through security within no more than 15 minutes.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Awesome, to answer a few questions, US citizen, it is an earlier evening flight, and have decided not cost effective to check for the itinerary leg. Checked with a fellow employee who has done this a number of times and he feels 4 hours is overkill as well, probably going to give it 3.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
have decided not cost effective to check for the itinerary leg.
I don't know what the above means, but in terms of timing, I would estimate the following for a no-stress experience 97% of the time (I fly through MUC a lot).

T-0: flight leaves gate
T-30: flight boards
T-60: you want to be in the cleared departures area (30 min lounge time, or similar)
T-80: arrive at MUC security
T-90: arrive at MUC S-Bahn station
T-140: leave Munich Ost- or Hauptbahnhof station on S-Bahn
T-150: show up at Munich Ost- or Hauptbahnhof station
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Perfect, much appreciated.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: most of them
A checked bag full of liquor bottles doesn't sound like something that would survive intact.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by glennaa11
A checked bag full of liquor bottles doesn't sound like something that would survive intact.
Had wine-bottles (if I remember one time 12 or something like that) in my checked-bag in the past, no problem. One was damaged in the hand-lagguage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.