Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt=Berlin: Luggage Delivery Service, DHL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm traveling on LH from/to Frankfurt-Berlin.
Since I'm only allowed to bring one carry-on luggage aside from my handbag up to 8kg combined, and there's a chance that I might be asked to check in my luggage at the gate or on the plane because there's no overhead bin space left, I thought it would be wise to ship it from Frankfurt Airport to Berlin hotel and from there to Frankfurt hotel. It contains several pairs of expensive shoes, so I want to protect them from luggage handlers and also to travel light in coach.

Is it even possible to send luggage via courier from Frankfurt Airport? I found this DHL service: https://www.dhl.de/en/paket/pakete-v...segepaeck.html, but am not so sure if I can do it given everything is in German once I get to the schedule pick-up page. I searched Deutsche Post outlets near the airport but there seems only one that will be open from 8AM on Saturdays and it still might not offer this service. I'm flying out at 10:45am, so the one inside the airport that opens at 11am is too late for me.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I doubt DHL is more reliable than LH. The chance of your baggage getting *permanently* lost is extremely low in either case.

I'd personally just take your most valuable items onboard and check the rest.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:36 am

What made you decide to fly, rather than take the train?

Unless you are connecting (which you don't appear to be) flying makes no sense whatseover if a journey can be done by train, town centre to town centre, in less than five hours - and Frankfurt and Berlin are just four hours apart by high-speed ICE train.

I presume your flight is non-refundable?

And wouldn't it be cheaper to pay for checked baggage, rather than use a courier?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:44 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
When you say travel 'light' do you mean you paid for an Economy Light fare on LH?

Unless you are one of the last ones to board you should have no problem finding space in the overhead bin for your carry-on. If you need to check a bag it will cost €15 per direction if paid in advance.

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Excess-baggage

P.S. By the way the weight limit is not 8kg your carry-on and a handbag combined.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 7, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I doubt DHL is more reliable than LH..
Absolutely! Check it and pay the fee - next time book a proper tarif
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can add a piece of luggage for 15€ online at lh.com before your checkin. Much cheaper. The luggage service of DHL is traditionally meant for leisure travelers who send their stuff ahead and don't want to bother with lugging around baggage in the train.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can add a piece of luggage for 15€ online at lh.com before your checkin. Much cheaper. The luggage service of DHL is traditionally meant for leisure travelers who send their stuff ahead and don't want to bother with lugging around baggage in the train.
Yeap. And 4.40 Euro with my DHL Paketmarken and up to 31,5 kg delivered from my door to the hotel door. We now did that a few times not to safe money but for convenience in particular when travelling with a big family finding out that even a M-Class Mercedes has limited space
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
finding out that even a M-Class Mercedes has limited space
The trunk doesn´t impress me. Typical SUV
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Well, as I mentioned my carry-on luggage contains several pairs of expensive heels that could get lost (stolen) if I checked it in.

I've already booked a flight FRA-TXL, so taking the train isn't an option either. Also, I just have had a surgery and cannot lift my arms over my head, let alone lift/carry heavy stuff, so shipping them via DHL is the only option it seems. I should probably shoot an email to one of the outlets to see if they accept Paketmarken on site.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by little bunny
Well, as I mentioned my carry-on luggage contains several pairs of expensive heels that could get lost (stolen) if I checked it in.
Again: The chance luggage is stolen on FRA - TXL ist nearly 0. Very unlikely.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:20 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Maybe you could consider sending it by DHL Express instead of regular DHL.
DHL Express is the courier arm of DHL they would charge for next day delivery something like 60-70,-€ depending on weight and dimensions.
But DHL Express for national forwarding includes insurance up to 2500,-€ (that´s waaaay more than regular DHL transportation offers - includinge the service you mentioned)
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just pop into a Mail Boxes Etc. store in Frankfurt and they'll sort it out for you.

But, really, the chance of it being lost by LH is not really any greater than the chance of it getting lost by DHL. And surely your travel insurance would cover it in the very unlikely event it is lost?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.