Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Photography permit required (?) for Schloss, Residenz etc....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

I was never aware of it. I just stumbled onto this:

http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/engl...oto_permit.htm

Can anyone share recent experience if they can photography inside or outside of Schloss, residenz, etc.. without a permit?

Reading the Permission and Costs section is quite interesting (or really?)

Did anyone ever applied for a permit? What was the outcome?

Thanks for your info and comments.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:48 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
I just read the German (extended) section regarding taking private photos.
Very strict regulations IMHO.

It is possible - but ...

Excerpt from the mentioned Bavarian Palace Department website:

"Small quantities of photos for private use (only with the usual hand-held cameras for private use and without light and tripod etc.) does not require a permit, and is allowed unless this conflicts with conservation or organizational requirements or trademark rights. Use of any private photo material for further purposes is expressly prohibited. However, we regret that in the palaces with continuous guided tours, photography for private purposes cannot usually be permitted for organizational reasons."

Last edited by MHG; Jun 11, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
These types of regulations are not uncommon in some US venues. In areas like Los Angeles, with two of the three leading film schools in the country, requests for nonprofit and for profit photography are ever increasing.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:59 am

The way I read it, the restrictions are primarily for commercial use as well as for organizational reasons, e.g., they don't want you to make the entire tour group wait while you take your pictures or they don't want you block the flow of visitors in a narrow area.

I personally never got any complaints when taking pictures with my phone or small digital camera.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I did pictures without permit and hadn´t any problems. But judging the website even non-professional photographers need a permit. It´s wired
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing.

I think I will stay outside of the buildings, hope they would allow photography outdoor.

This kills the idea of buying a 14-day Pass to see Bavarian Palaces and Schlosses.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I think I will stay outside of the buildings, hope they would allow photography outdoor.
Frankly, I think you are overreacting a bit.

As Alex71 stated in post #4, the intent of the published rules is to inhibit any commercial/professional activity, as well as any activity by non-professionals that impacts the enjoyment of other visitors.

For non-professionals, this includes the use of tripods, lighting equipment, and other physical equipment.

Inside, rules vary by individual museum or facility. Some have blanket no photography rules (examples the Prado in Madrid or the National Gallery in London), while others allow photography as long as flash is not used and the camera is hand-held (Art Institute Chicago, LA County Art Museum). Others still have no restrictions (Courtauld Gallery in London).

Ultimately, common sense should prevail.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Frankly, I think you are overreacting a bit.
Indeed! Go and check at the place. Worst thing can happen is they ask you not to use your camera or you directly see a sign at the entrance.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Advice noted. Thank you.

I recall I photographed inside the Sistine Chapel without any problem. Of course I was among hundred others jammed in there. Many flashes went off as well.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Advice noted. Thank you.

I recall I photographed inside the Sistine Chapel without any problem. Of course I was among hundred others jammed in there. Many flashes went off as well.
At Sistine Chapel they were very strict during my last visit. But sometimes there are too much rule-breakers Photographing with flash inside the chapel is a nerviness as it can destroy the paintings
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
At Sistine Chapel they were very strict during my last visit. But sometimes there are too much rule-breakers Photographing with flash inside the chapel is a nerviness as it can destroy the paintings
Likewise, no photography at the Last Supper in Milan. Only 25 people at a time are allowed inside, because the breathing of larger crowds produces gasses harmful to the work (it is a mural, not a painting).
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Thanks for sharing.

This kills the idea of buying a 14-day Pass to see Bavarian Palaces and Schlosses.
No worries at all, you can take photos as much as you like for personal/non-commercial use at anytime. What they are trying to prevent is commercial photographers taking photos for coffee table books, picture postcards, travel guides etc. Another big problem nowadays is Chinese couples on bride/bridegroom photo shoots. They have started applying for permits and try to stay out of the way of visitors recently though....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.