German parking signs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

German parking signs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
There are so called Behelfsampeln, traffic lights that only work if needed or if a pedestrian pushes the button to cross the road. Those traffic lights work during the day and stop working for the night when there's little or no traffic.

The Swiss "improved" that version even further, by having the lights switch to red, if you are speeding. If you don't speed, the lights are usually completely switched off.

Anyway, most traffic lights won't be switched off. But the signs are very useful, when they do maintenance (where they switch off the lights) or if there's a black out, problem with the software, etc...
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by WorldLux
There are so called Behelfsampeln, traffic lights that only work if needed or if a pedestrian pushes the button to cross the road. Those traffic lights work during the day and stop working for the night when there's little or no traffic.

The Swiss "improved" that version even further, by having the lights switch to red, if you are speeding. If you don't speed, the lights are usually completely switched off.

Anyway, most traffic lights won't be switched off. But the signs are very useful, when they do maintenance (where they switch off the lights) or if there's a black out, problem with the software, etc...
It´s not necessary a Behelfsampel. Most bigger junctions have traffic lights and additional signs.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by offerendum
It´s not necessary a Behelfsampel. Most bigger junctions have traffic lights and additional signs.
No, of course not. My post related to seawolf's comment above, that he hadn't seen any lights turned and that there are traffic lights that turn of during the night, when roads are empty (e.g. in front of a primary school at 2 am in a small village).

Obviously, traffic lights at major intersections are kept on and the additional signs have the only purpose to keep traffic fluid if the traffic lights stop for any reason.

And again, the descending order is:
1. Instructions of cops regulating traffic
2. Traffic lights
3. Signs posted at the intersection
4. Right has right of way
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by qpr
It´s allowed to leave the car for loading/unloading.
You are not allowed either to leave the car or to stop there for more than three minutes with the exception of loading. Loading, however, has to be done without any undue delay.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:33 pm
qpr

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You are not allowed either to leave the car or to stop there for more than three minutes with the exception of loading. Loading, however, has to be done without any undue delay.
Just read post # 3.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qpr
Just read post # 3.
I am not only able to read, I hold a German driving license since the late 70ies and I can read StVO, too and - probably more unusual - have done it. It is not as easy as said in post #3. You are allowed to load and unload as long as it takes (but without undue delay). I you leave your car without loading activity, you "park" in the legal sense even if you leave your car for less than 3 minutes.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:40 am

You are allowed to load and unload as long as it takes (but without undue delay). I you leave your car without loading activity, you "park" in the legal sense even if you leave your car for less than 3 minutes.
You are right in the strict words of the "law", but I rarely heard of anybody getting a ticket when you leave your car for the "allowed" stopping time..in fact even on airports, where they are very strict the police will just tell you hurry up an get back fast..same in the city centers...
however this does not mean that you will "never" get a ticket...some traffic wardens or policemen take their job too
serious
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eddmmuc
You are right in the strict words of the "law", but I rarely heard of anybody getting a ticket when you leave your car for the "allowed" stopping time..in fact even on airports, where they are very strict the police will just tell you hurry up an get back fast..same in the city centers...
however this does not mean that you will "never" get a ticket...some traffic wardens or policemen take their job too
serious
I learnt it by experience . Airports however are a totally different animal since in Germany police will hardly give you any ticket since airports are quite frequently private property.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:31 am

I learnt it by experience . Airports however are a totally different animal since in Germany police will hardly give you any ticket since airports are quite frequently private property.
Yeps..private property, but the the same regulations like the STVO are in place and enforced..either by "Polizei", "Bundespolizei" or the airports own traffic warden who gives you the ticket..e.g. at CGN..
and for you as the lawyer its the difference between "Öffentlicher und nichtöffentlicher Verkehr"
Old Jun 11, 2023, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Parking question on the Parkraumbewirtschaftung zones in Berlin:

These are most of the central areas, including where we will be staying near Prenzlauer Berg in a few weeks. It looks like enforcement is M-Sa 9am until Midnight (24:00). And I assume I have to get a paid "Schein" and place it on the rental car dashboard.

1. do the Parkschein automats take only coins ? Or are Euro notes accepted
2. do the Scheine last for multiple hours (like 10 hours at a time?) If not, it would be necessary to go to the automat repeatedly.
3. how do the locals deal with parking if they don't own a garage or private spot?
Old Jun 12, 2023, 1:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can get the parking app and renew your parking periodically, no need to go to the parking meter each time. Berlin allows 4 apps for paying parking, I used easypark last year.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 5:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Beware: In some places, there is a maximum time allowed at that spot, even if you pay (on the app or by buying new a "schein" aka meter feeding). This will result in a fine.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You can buy a "Parkticket" up to the maximum allowed time. You can pay with coins and sometimes with cards (mostly Maestro). Best option is indeed using an app like easypark. I only do it these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.